Sponsored by:

What to do?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e55 amg
E55 exhaust questions

I just bought my first e 55 amg.. I absolutely love it!! The first thing I want to do is open up the exhaust some.. Its to quite. I have heard from other post that resonator has to go and install an x pipe. Do the cats need to go as well.I live in s.c. where there is no inspection so no worries about passing that. I want to get the deeper v8 sound not the ratty high pitched or poping sound that comes with straight pipes. Also do I use the stock amg muffler or upgrade to a dynomax or something similar.. ??? Any suggestions??

Last edited by Wayne Starnes; 09-06-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
The stock muffler is fine removing the resonator and adding an x-pipe will add some nice sound, removing the secondary cats will make it even better (louder). If you search youtube you can find some clips of what it will sound like.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Wayne Starnes
I just bought my first e 55 amg.. I absolutely love it!! The first thing I want to do is open up the exhaust some.. Its to quite. I have heard from other post that resonator has to go and install an x pipe. Do the cats need to go as well.I live in s.c. where there is no inspection so no worries about passing that. I want to get the deeper v8 sound not the ratty high pitched or poping sound that comes with straight pipes. Also do I use the stock amg muffler or upgrade to a dynomax or something similar.. ??? Any suggestions??
Hey Wayne, if you do a search here you'll see what most of us have done as a basic set up (you'll see it in my signature as well). Just remember to put the x-pipe as close to the engine as possible. Most popular set up is secondary cat delete with an x-pipe replacement, resonator delete. Keep your muffler intact for a basic set up and see how that feels/sounds to you.

+10 on what illest said above
Old 09-07-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of talk and discussion on exhaust mods and intake mods in this forum. Do your search and read up on it.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 e55 amg
Thanks for the advice. I really value it coming from fellow owners. I will watch the YouTube clips. Im going to get it done in the next couple weeks. Thanks again..
Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2004 E55
What to do?!?!

Originally Posted by Wayne Starnes
Thanks for the advice. I really value it coming from fellow owners. I will watch the YouTube clips. Im going to get it done in the next couple weeks. Thanks again..
Welcome. I have a sound clip of the resonator/secondary cat delete in my sig.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55
Make sure the x-pipe you get is high quality piece and has a clean bore all the way through. Some poorly made ones actually restrict flow by pressing pipes in and then leaving the inner pipe's "collar" curled inside the outer pipe- reducing the diameter and creating turbulence from the lip inside. cheap cheap cheap.
Secondary cat delete will give you some added hp with added sound quality. the AMG resonator and muffler are straight through designs and do not restrict airflow at all.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
86 190D (Exported to the Nerderlands), 87 300TD (Sold), 82 Ford F150 3spd, 99 E300D (RIP), 02 E55
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Make sure the x-pipe you get is high quality piece and has a clean bore all the way through. Some poorly made ones actually restrict flow by pressing pipes in and then leaving the inner pipe's "collar" curled inside the outer pipe- reducing the diameter and creating turbulence from the lip inside. cheap cheap cheap.
Summit racing has a very nice x-pipe..if mine rust out I'll replace it with them.