W210 AMG Discuss the W210 AMG's such as the E50, E55, and E60
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Wheel Bearings Cause a Knock?

Old 11-22-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E55
Talking Can Wheel Bearings Cause a Knock?

Hi everyone, I have a 2001 E55 AMG with 61K miles, 15 years old, in near pristine shape. I have been having a knock in the front suspension for about a year. Specifically the passenger side front. I replaced the sway bar bushings and end links. Visually the other bushing look fine. Knock was still there. I took into to a general mechanic I use to work on my Range Rovers, they seem pretty good. He said visually, and with a pry bar they can not tell what bushing is causing the knocking. You can hear it when you go over a speed bump and on rough roads. I really don't want to get crazy and just start replacing bushings.

I did just recently change out the brake rotors and pads. During a trip yesterday I noticed during braking that there is some pulsating clunking, a different noise and feeling. It is coming from the front visually with the wheels on I don't see anything going on with the brakes.

The shocks are not leaking and seem okay, so does the rubber up top.

I did just notice that both front wheels seems to have some play in them. When I jack up the car and wiggle the wheel back and forth one hand on the top one on the bottom of the tire, there is some movement. On both front wheels. There is no bearing noise when turning the wheels.

Is it possible that the bearing could be causing a clunk noise going over bumps and/or a possible pulsating feeling when braking?

Thanks for your advice.

Rodney

Last edited by rnelson; 11-22-2016 at 07:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-2016, 09:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 1999 E55 2001 ML55 2017 C43
I would remove the wheel and brakes then see if there is play. If there is I would remove and hub check the bearings and spindle and reinstall.

Steve
Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 PM

2001 E55
[QUOTE=turbo1k;6976637]I would remove the wheel and brakes then see if there is play. If there is I would remove and hub check the bearings and spindle and reinstall.

Thanks Steve, if they are bad would you recommend buying the bearing kit or the whole hub assembly?

Thanks,

Rodney
Old 11-22-2016, 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=rnelson;6976687]
Originally Posted by turbo1k
I would remove the wheel and brakes then see if there is play. If there is I would remove and hub check the bearings and spindle and reinstall.

Thanks Steve, if they are bad would you recommend buying the bearing kit or the whole hub assembly?

Thanks,

Rodney
I just did my for the first time at 230k so I don't think yours need to be serviced yet. When I did mine I only did bearings. I really think you have another problem but without taking it apart and checking everything over it just a guess.

Did you have this noise before the brakes?

One other thing to check is the springs. When I changed mine a few years back both fronts were crack on the bottom coil. With your low mileage I don't see this being your problem but worth a check.

Keep us updated. Where you located?

Steve
Old 11-22-2016, 10:16 PM

2001 E55
I did have the noise before the brakes. I also put Votgland springs in as well, the noise was there before that too.

Where your bearings making noise or did they just have play? You said you serviced them, did you change out the entire hub or just the bearings?

I'm in located in Central Phoenix, AZ
Old 11-22-2016, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by rnelson
I did have the noise before the brakes. I also put Votgland springs in as well, the noise was there before that too.

Where your bearings making noise or did they just have play? You said you serviced them, did you change out the entire hub or just the bearings?

I'm in located in Central Phoenix, AZ

My bearing made a slight humming noise. I did only the bearing the original hubs are still in the car.

To far to swing by so I can take a look

Steve
Old 11-23-2016, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
When I first purchased my car I had a pop and it happened on uneven roads and some speed bumps. I was at 80K miles then and I went ahead and changed the lower control arms with bushings and ball joints- whole assembly. This was determined on a PPI that my bushings were leaking. While it costs more in parts is was cheaper in labor because I changed the upper ball as well while everything was a part. Pop went away.

I then had more issues with rattling over speed bumps. Short story, the bushing and drop links took care of that. Felt more solid too.

I have always had a 70 mph shimmy after 2 sets of tires and rims, my indie noted my tires looked "chopped". He said I had too much play in the front bearings and he simply tightened and repacked the bearings. This helped my shimmy but he said the tires would not be good/smooth unless I changed them. Now that my tire is wearing out its getting better. So if you were having bearing issues, I would guess that you would have a shimmy not just on braking and moaning like turbo1k says. My rear left bearing was bad and the sound was drone on hangover. Tightening your bearings is relatively easy as a first step. If not place the bearing only or hub at once.

I changed my brakes to C32 calipers and matching rotors. Unless caliper bolts were loose or similar, you should not have that shimmy.

I have also replaced my inner and outer control arms because I had a nasty pull to the right. Now straight.

for me I only have shocks and springs left.

I think you may just have to find the right bushing.

Last edited by Tall Giraffe; 11-23-2016 at 02:06 AM.