Sponsored by:

H-pipe Technical question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 e55
H-pipe Technical question

Hello ! I have to make a custom exhaust but i can only make it with on h-pipe.. I think its better to do this than straight pipe, so my questions are do i have to put it in place of the secondary cats ? Also does the cross over pipe will Be Same Diameter than my dual pipe ? Thank you very much.

Oliver.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
2001 E55 OMG
Most owners perform x-pipe whether welding two straight pipes or buying a fabricated crossover. Some people opt to place it in place of the secondaries. I opted to do my X-pipe as close to the engine as I could and straight pipe to the muffler removing the resonator as well.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 C63 AMG
Since we're on the subject, is it bad for your motor to have a straight pipe back with no H-pipe?

So a cat and res delete without an Hpipe
Old 04-27-2017, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
There's a ton of theory into the exhaust systems, but in general an H or X pipe is largely for sound. Unless you have the resources to try multiple locations to find which one actually can help torque, you're just putting it there to mix the exhaust tone from both sides which usually results in a smoother, more pleasing note. A true dual split system will work just fine but the pulses never mix until they leave the tips so the sound is different. Not bad, just different.

A properly placed X pipe (in terms of how far from the header collector/exhaust ports) can gain some power/torque, but it takes trial and error and depends on how the rest of the system is built. It's all about wave speeds and harmonics, lot of great info out there if you want to research.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 C63 AMG
Awesome! Yeah I read tons of info about people arguing over which pipe configuration was best but I never read if it was actually bad for your motor or not.

Tha ks for the info!