W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-15-2015, 01:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

How to change tail light bulb?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 06:59 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 MB E55 AMG, 92 911 Turbo
How to change tail light bulb?

I looked in the trunk to see if a simple bulb replacement was possible, and began to realize that in order to get to the bulb, you have to remove the trim plate, a portion of the carpet, and the entire lamp assembly.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a simple to way to change the bulb?
Stuff like this should be simple and not require an afternoon of tearing apart your trunk.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
No. you have to change the entire taillight assemblies.

You can't simply replace the bulbs. It's all enclosed in the tail light assembly.

Yes you are right. You have to remove the trunk trim pieces, the carpeting, and depends on which side you are removing, you might have to remove the silver tank (good luck trying to do this).
Old 04-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Almost a Member!

04 MB E55 AMG, 92 911 Turbo
thats so stupid. I can't believe MB would make it so you have to purchase an entire tail lamp assemby. I guess that explains why it was so unaccessable.
Thanks.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:00 PM

E55
The bulbs are lifetime items - MB developed a super-long-lasting bulb a while back. The LED's never burn out. It makes the car easier to build and cleaner without access panels.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:12 PM

Tesla
Does this apply to non-LED tail lights as well?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:03 PM

'08 SL65
Originally Posted by krispykrme
No. you have to change the entire taillight assemblies.

You can't simply replace the bulbs. It's all enclosed in the tail light assembly.

Yes you are right. You have to remove the trunk trim pieces, the carpeting, and depends on which side you are removing, you might have to remove the silver tank (good luck trying to do this).
Are you f'ing kidding me? WTF? A tailight/brakelight went out on me last week, had to pay $4.20 (for 2!) at Checker Auto Parts. Opened the access panel and replaced it in <2 min. in the parking lot. The more I learn, the more I love my W210 AMG. So much for progress with the 211. Sheesh.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:49 AM

E55
I believe all the MB bulbs are like this now.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:13 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by AC556F
Are you f'ing kidding me? WTF? A tailight/brakelight went out on me last week, had to pay $4.20 (for 2!) at Checker Auto Parts. Opened the access panel and replaced it in <2 min. in the parking lot. The more I learn, the more I love my W210 AMG. So much for progress with the 211. Sheesh.
Nope. A replacement set i think is around $300.

According to MB, the bulbs are high life bulbs and should not burn out.

Some how i really don't believe that.

If anyone wants a set of tail light (I have a spare set taken off from my E500 when I upgraded to LED) for dirt cheap.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 PM

Tesla
Are the LED lights a direct bolt on replacement, or do you need special wire harness / resistors, or programming the ECU?

I almost bought a set until those questions crossed my mind. Getting the dealer to make any changes is like pulling teeth. They just want to deal with fixing easy problems.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:36 PM

04 E55
Originally Posted by steph280
Are the LED lights a direct bolt on replacement, or do you need special wire harness / resistors, or programming the ECU?

I almost bought a set until those questions crossed my mind. Getting the dealer to make any changes is like pulling teeth. They just want to deal with fixing easy problems.
straight bolt on. No need to change anything. No wires, no re-programming, no nothing. Just take out the old light and bolt on the new one.

Sounds easy, but it's not. Your luck will have major effect on how quickly it can be done.

My car was probably assembled by someone that really hated his job or just having a major bad day. I has very difficult time in unbolting the silver tank on the passenger side. You have to move the silver tank before you can take off the pax side tail light.