Sponsored by:

rough supercharger clutch engagement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 e55 wagon
rough supercharger clutch engagement

So I've had this issue ever since picking up my 2006 E55 wagon a few weeks ago. Personally I find it very annoying that the car hesitates and is not at all smooth when the S/C engages. This can range from imperceptible to a forward neck snapping studder as the car starts to accelerate, hesitates and bucks, then grabs and rockets foward.

I took the car in a few weeks ago and the dealer said they couldn't reproduce the issue. So I took it to the next level and made an appointment for the 'master' tech to ride with me in the car. I demonstrated the problem to the tech yesterday and his claim is that all the 55K cars do this to some extent, some just worse than others. As proof, he offered a drive in a '03 E55 sedan from the used car inventory. I took that car for a drive, and indeed it also demonstrated similar behavior, but also had the squeal (sounds like a cricket) on S/C engagement. Therefore he concludes that my car is 'normal' with this behavior.

So the question is should I just accept this and move on or continue to pursue it? My issue with testing the '03 as evidence is that I thought the '06 cars were supposed to have a revised clutch that improves the engagement?

I also had a long discussion with the tech about the air pump flash. From his perspective, most of the changes were made for emissions reasons although he admitted that the software is more 'conservative' and is more likely to enter limp mode ... take that FWIW.

Anyway, do all of our cars really suffer from rough S/C engagement, especially the '06? Did all '06 builds get the revised clutch or did the change occur during the model run? I'm curious if I'm supposed to have the better clutch or not. And should I just deal with this or should I continue to pursue a replacement S/C clutch? Thanks for any thoughts ...
Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd
So I've had this issue ever since picking up my 2006 E55 wagon a few weeks ago. Personally I find it very annoying that the car hesitates and is not at all smooth when the S/C engages. This can range from imperceptible to a forward neck snapping studder as the car starts to accelerate, hesitates and bucks, then grabs and rockets foward.

I took the car in a few weeks ago and the dealer said they couldn't reproduce the issue. So I took it to the next level and made an appointment for the 'master' tech to ride with me in the car. I demonstrated the problem to the tech yesterday and his claim is that all the 55K cars do this to some extent, some just worse than others. As proof, he offered a drive in a '03 E55 sedan from the used car inventory. I took that car for a drive, and indeed it also demonstrated similar behavior, but also had the squeal (sounds like a cricket) on S/C engagement. Therefore he concludes that my car is 'normal' with this behavior.

So the question is should I just accept this and move on or continue to pursue it? My issue with testing the '03 as evidence is that I thought the '06 cars were supposed to have a revised clutch that improves the engagement?

I also had a long discussion with the tech about the air pump flash. From his perspective, most of the changes were made for emissions reasons although he admitted that the software is more 'conservative' and is more likely to enter limp mode ... take that FWIW.

Anyway, do all of our cars really suffer from rough S/C engagement, especially the '06? Did all '06 builds get the revised clutch or did the change occur during the model run? I'm curious if I'm supposed to have the better clutch or not. And should I just deal with this or should I continue to pursue a replacement S/C clutch? Thanks for any thoughts ...
well.. I have an 03 and when it was stock.. i did not have jerk issue.

With the bigger pulley.. the jerk is a bit harsh at times.. depends on the speed and throttle input.

I had my clutch replaced to the newer style under warranty and the chirp of the engagement is gone.

I would say.. if I didn't have a bigger pulley.. the engagement jerk would almost be gone. But its there at times. In C mode.. you can't really feel it.

suggest you try another dealer...

In regards to tha 2nd air pump recall, I got the new pump last month and new ecu flash.

My car feels even healthier than before I had the "check engine light" for the air pump.

Granted.. I'm pushing more boost and my FMIC is really telling the engine to "stay away" from pulling timing.

I also had the same issue with my C32 and I don't recall filling the car made less power.. however it was a bit more linear delivery.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:51 PM

06 e55 wagon
Yeah ... if my pulley wasn't stock, I wouldn't care as much, but I don't think it should be this rough with the stock pulley. I want to move to the bigger pulley, but fear things will only get worse. I rather sort everything out before modding so this is really bugging me.

I couldn't really argue the point that the '03 didn't exhibit the same problem, it did. But that doesn't make it 'normal' or proper either I don't think ...
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
They all do it. And that is why we may never see another supercharged Mercedes AMG. The number of complaints forced amg to the naturally aspirated 63 motor, and it's linear acceleration. However It is quite easy to learn how to modulate the 55s accelerator and make a seamless supercharger transition. There is a direct relation between the throttle position and supercharger engagement the faster you push the gas petal the harsher/more pronounced the supercharger engagement will be.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
They all do it. And that is why we may never see another supercharged Mercedes AMG. The number of complaints forced amg to the naturally aspirated 63 motor, and it's linear acceleration.
Such a shame!
Old 01-09-2008, 09:20 PM

06 e55 wagon
They all do it. And that is why we may never see another supercharged Mercedes AMG. The number of complaints forced amg to the naturally aspirated 63 motor, and it's linear acceleration. However It is quite easy to learn how to modulate the 55s accelerator and make a seamless supercharger transition. There is a direct relation between the throttle position and supercharger engagement the faster you push the gas petal the harsher/more pronounced the supercharger engagement will be.
Well that's pretty much what I was afraid of, although I have seen some people post that their S/C engagement is smooth. Maybe it's just their driving style.

I guess this is going to be somewhat like learning to my drive my old M3 with SMG ... with a properly timed partial throttle lift during shifting you could almost make it smooth

I've never owned a supercharged car, so I have no basis for comparison. I'm just surprised that the best of German engineering can't solve this problem of smooth S/C engagement. In the end it's not that big of a deal, but it does impact my driving pleasure as I'm always thinking in the back of my mind that the car is going to lurch when I apply the throttle ...

I suppose any high hp application has its compromises. With the turbo cars, you have to be careful when lifting throttle while boost is building or else you will induce compressor surge which causes jerking much worse than this. I learned to avoid that in my past two cars, so I can try to learn how to drive this one to work around the issue ...

My big concern is that it's going to get 10x worse when I add the bigger pulley. And at that point I'll probably be SoL in terms of obtaining a better clutch under warranty knowing the dealers around here ...

Last edited by joshd; 01-09-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
Regarding the rough super charger engagement - I suggest you visit the dealer and tell the service guy that "the super charger makes a chirping noise when it engages and is very rough". They will replace the supercharger clutch pack and your problem will go away - at least for a while. I am assuming your car is under warranty. This is exactly what I did a few months ago after I purchased my car. I took the car to American Service Center in Arlington. They will give you a rental car at no cost. Ask for a service writer named Eddy Gross. I had the Kleemann Stage 1 when I took the car in.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:33 PM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by Rocketman
Regarding the rough super charger engagement - I suggest you visit the dealer and tell the service guy that "the super charger makes a chirping noise when it engages and is very rough". They will replace the supercharger clutch pack and your problem will go away - at least for a while. I am assuming your car is under warranty. This is exactly what I did a few months ago after I purchased my car. I took the car to American Service Center in Arlington. They will give you a rental car at no cost. Ask for a service writer named Eddy Gross. I had the Kleemann Stage 1 when I took the car in.
I think I'm going to give this a shot ... it's also what the guys at Funktion recommended. They supposedly have connections over there and would call ahead on my behalf. My car is under warranty, for now

Very cool of ASC to swap the clutch pack for you knowing that you had an aftermarket pulley on there ... and thanks for the tip on the SA!

Last edited by joshd; 01-09-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
i took my car into Mercedes in tysons and i had the check engine light on. They said it was due to the air pump. I specifically told them that I didn't want to have that fixed since it would require my s/w to be overwritten...the dreaded flash. The CEL is gone now.

The reason I brought the car in was to fix the issue that you describe. The rough clutch engagement for me is so bad that it feels like the throttlebody has been slammed shut. When I have a passenger in the car they comment to my ****ty driving and I tell them its not me.

Benz said that the air pump and CEL light was linked to this and that it should get better.

i have my car at FunKtion now and will ask them tomorrow.

We should test drive each others cars...i will show you how bad it is on my car...feels like someone is doing a tranny drop...going from neutral to drive while flooring it. awful.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I'm going to give this a shot ... it's also what the guys at Funktion recommended. They supposedly have connections over there and would call ahead on my behalf. My car is under warranty, for now

Very cool of ASC to swap the clutch pack for you knowing that you had an aftermarket pulley on there ... and thanks for the tip on the SA!
You may want to suggest that in addition to the clutch replacement they check the S/C bypass servo. The bypass works in conjunction with the electromagnetic clutch.
Photo by Finny
rough supercharger clutch engagement-55upgrade489.jpg
Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 PM

Federal law stated that a car manufacturer must honor its warranty in full. Its pretty obvious nobody would spend 85K on a car that bucked and squealed every time you accelerate. I am going back and forth with MB on the same issue with my S55. They have referred my case to some rep. All you have to do it take it in 3 times for this issue. Just take it to 3 different dealers and keep the paperwork documenting that they cannot or will not fix the issue and a good lawyer can force MB to fix it or buy the car back.
Will
Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 AM

06 e55 wagon
You may want to suggest that in addition to the clutch replacement they check the S/C bypass servo. The bypass works in conjunction with the electromagnetic clutch.
Photo by Finny
Attachment 121585
Good point, thank you. I guess if the bypass wasn't working correctly it could cause some weird airflow issues hitting the throttle body similar to turbo compressor surge ...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by e55 baller
i took my car into Mercedes in tysons and i had the check engine light on. They said it was due to the air pump. I specifically told them that I didn't want to have that fixed since it would require my s/w to be overwritten...the dreaded flash. The CEL is gone now.

The reason I brought the car in was to fix the issue that you describe. The rough clutch engagement for me is so bad that it feels like the throttlebody has been slammed shut. When I have a passenger in the car they comment to my ****ty driving and I tell them its not me.

Benz said that the air pump and CEL light was linked to this and that it should get better.

i have my car at FunKtion now and will ask them tomorrow.

We should test drive each others cars...i will show you how bad it is on my car...feels like someone is doing a tranny drop...going from neutral to drive while flooring it. awful.
Let's definitely hook up, I'd love to check out your car after the cam install ... when are you picking her up?

I guess they have a bit of a 'test track' there around the shop where the guys who take care of the Dupont collection stretch the legs of the various collectibles

Last time I was there a dude was getting sideways in a $1M Austin ...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:25 AM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by Suprfknman
Federal law stated that a car manufacturer must honor its warranty in full. Its pretty obvious nobody would spend 85K on a car that bucked and squealed every time you accelerate. I am going back and forth with MB on the same issue with my S55. They have referred my case to some rep. All you have to do it take it in 3 times for this issue. Just take it to 3 different dealers and keep the paperwork documenting that they cannot or will not fix the issue and a good lawyer can force MB to fix it or buy the car back.
Will
Wow ... keep us posted on this please. I agree about the bucking and squealing. When I drove that '03 it sounded like it had a cricket under hood every time i mashed the throttle. They are planning on selling the car like that and calling it normal. I would not buy that car and if I did I would be right back with it in the shop ...

I'm going to try the other shop that rocketman mentioned and see how that works out ...
Old 01-17-2008, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Josh my car is becoming undriveable ...when I am cruising at 60 mph and get about 25%-50% throttle the car violently loses all power and then thumps and connects again...feels like the tranny is going or perhaps its the electromagnetic clutch... I have no idea, i have to get it into a shop asap.

With the cams in it stalls sometimes...gotta get the idle raised.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 AM

2005 E55 Black / Black Every available option except Sat radio
Josh my car is becoming undriveable ...when I am cruising at 60 mph and get about 25%-50% throttle the car violently loses all power and then thumps and connects again...feels like the tranny is going or perhaps its the electromagnetic clutch... I have no idea, i have to get it into a shop asap.

Trade for a 05 and enjoy.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic

I won't bore you with how, but my tranny computer adapted to the point my torque convertor lockup was literally like dumping the clutch on a manual transmission. I'm convinced the lockup and the SC engagement are impacted by each other because of how the engine load changes when the lockup occurs.

I had to have my tranny adaptation reset, and the weird thing is that the SC engagement became smoother.

... although I have all sorts of "nuances" going on with my 69K mile 03.

I'm interested in how this works out for you, I was actually wanting to ask you how the SC engagement was working out with the new cams. I was hoping the new cams would actually be a positive for the SC engagement.

Maybe the cams impact the low RPM manifold pressure and therefore computer's decision on the bypass valve actuation?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:50 PM

06 e55 wagon
Isaac - how is your car doing with the cams?! Is the S/C engagement any better or worse?

Ralph - I just scheduled my car at ASC for this Friday at 9AM to check the S/C engagement. Eddy Gross is no longer an SA, although I did talk to him and he remembered you and your car of course. My appointment is with Gary Burke instead (but Eddy said he'd be available to consult with me when I come in). I hope they agree to swap out the damn clutch pack ... it's really annoying.

On another note to both of you locals ... The Auto Shop has a dyno day this Saturday going on all day. They are offering discounted pulls to all that show. It's an event scheduled by the Audi folks, but they told me if I come after noon, they should be able to get me in ... in case either of you are looking for some discounted dyno pulls on their DD dyno.

Cheers,
Josh
Old 01-23-2008, 04:41 PM

2008 E63
FWIW - I had the same thing as all of us on mine. I took it to my dealer, described the harsh engagement and squeal and they changed the supercharger clutch assy. no questions asked. Go to another dealer.

Some members here will tell you that it comes back but I'm about 2000 in and I'm still good.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Im getting mine replaced as we speak with the 07 clutch from the SL. Apparently its that much better
Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 PM

06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
Im getting mine replaced as we speak with the 07 clutch from the SL. Apparently its that much better
How many bottles of champagne and boxes of cigars did you donate to your SA in order to get that service?!?!!?

Seriously though, please tell me how you're able to get this done. According to my SA, if the car falls apart on the highway, grenades, and falls into little pieces, it's all normal operation
Old 01-26-2008, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Isaac - how is your car doing with the cams?! Is the S/C engagement any better or worse?

Cheers,
Josh
My car is jacked up. I have to take it into the shop this week. the engagement has gotten so bad I have complete power loss for up to 2 seconds now about 10 times a day. Its worse when the car is cold.

I have to drive the car at like 5% or 100% throttle to not have this happen.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
i will bring this thread back alive to say that brianS installed a new sc clutch on my car and it is so smooth now you cannot feel any engagement, hesitation or jerking. it is just a smooth transition. i will let you know if it comes back after a while.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by theboogers
i will bring this thread back alive to say that brianS installed a new sc clutch on my car and it is so smooth now you cannot feel any engagement, hesitation or jerking. it is just a smooth transition. i will let you know if it comes back after a while.
Now hook up the wires.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
I had the same question/complaint and got back "what do you expect in a near 500 hp car?"

Well, not what we experience when the charger engages! It does it and do not like it, nor do I think it is acceptable.

I have driven GTP's with 110K miles on them and guess what; no jerk/hesitation.

Disappointing but I still love the car!

TK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rough supercharger clutch engagement