Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery DEAD

Old 10-27-2008, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Battery DEAD

Hi guys,

My E55 2003 W211 battery is dead. I used my wife car to jump start and took it for a 15 mile drive. This morning again it was dead. Time for a new battery do you think? What could be causing the drainage. For the past year I have been getting the 'Battery .... not available' then after 10 mins the alert goes off.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by por997s
Hi guys,

My E55 2003 W211 battery is dead. I used my wife car to jump start and took it for a 15 mile drive. This morning again it was dead. Time for a new battery do you think? What could be causing the drainage. For the past year I have been getting the 'Battery .... not available' then after 10 mins the alert goes off.

Thanks for your help.
"For the past year..."? You have patience down right...Now, take it to the stealer.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by por997s
Hi guys,

Thanks for your help.
Not smart on a car with electric brakes. You need to get both batteries replaced and all the battery/charging software updates done. Operating your car with a low/defective battery and charging system is begging for a host of electrical problems. Low voltage kills electronics and puts unnecessary loads on the alternator and voltage regulator. So for your own good and to avoid real problems in the future at the first warning sign get it taken care of.
You can find the batt/charging up dates in the stickies.

BTW the battery is the single most important part on your car, pays to take care of it (them).
Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 PM

E55 AMG
Thanks guys, MBENZ recovery on its way. Now that I think about it. The alert is "'Battery Protection: Convenience functions temporarily unavailable.' I have been getting this the day I got the car and everyt time I start it. The Stealer fobbed me off when i reported it. I still have the email. This has been happeneing every day since i got the car May 06.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Almost a Member!

bmw
Have your mechanic check the Alternator too. Usually, a 15 mile drive should give the alternator enough time to re-charge the battery, although it wouldn't be full with just a 15-mile drive. But it should be enough to get it to start again.

It sounds like either you have some of the electricals are draining your battery if your alternator isn't charging.

Hopefully everything gets done quick and you're back on the road!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:51 PM

GT-R
Originally Posted by sack5000
"For the past year..."? You have patience down right...Now, take it to the stealer.

As the others have said, ask the dealer to check your charging system and replace any defective components. With the amount of electrical gadgetry our cars have, you want to make sure the charging system is top notch.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
I had my alternator replaced, under warranty, for similar issues.

With the motor running, check the voltage at the battery terminals. If you're not getting sufficient charging, it will read less than 12 volts.

Also, as YM mentioned, it's a safety issue. As in foottothefloorholycrapwhatdoIdonownobrakes-BAM !

Good luck.