Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > E55 AMG, E63 AMG (W210, W211, W212) > W211 AMG
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #1

Drives: Porsche 06' CTT, Porsche 01' 996TT & MB 04' E55-AMG
E55 mods

I am new to the AMG world. I bought a 04' E55 and love the car, what do you guys typically do to these cars, I have purchased the tune and pulley from LET, what is the next logical step? Does an exhaust system improve performance with these cars?

Let's here it

Christian
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2004 E55
Headers!!

Take your car to an exhaust shop and have them build you some headers, or take advantage of that KILLER deal from Cory@Kleeman on his headers.
bobgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #3

Drives: Mercedes E55 AMG, Range Rover Supercharged, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, Hummer H2
DwightLav06
I agree with bobgodd; definitely take advantage of the deal that Cory and Kleemann is running right now for their headers. They are 50% off, and the performance gains are great (not to mention the sound)! I have the Kleemann K2 kit on my '04 E55 (includes, pulley, ECU upgrade and headers) and I feel a tremendous difference. Kleemann claims performance gains of 40-50HP just with the headers. Well worth it!
dlav06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #4

Drives: E55 AMG
headers and TB.
hamann69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

Who makes a TB for these cars, what gains/price should one expect

Christian
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2004 E55
There's no secret here gents; the E55 motor is a V8 just like V8's in all other cars. V8's ALWAYS respond well to headers, these engines need to breathe. Picture your engine as a big air pump, the more air you allow it to pump (intake) and the easier you allow it to pass that air through (exhaust) the more efficient and better performing the engine will be. This is why power adders such as superchargers and turbos and even nitrous work so well, they force a ton of air into the engine(pump). When someone comes up with a reliable and proven intake kit for our cars, there is no doubt in my mind that it will make great power. I believe Ahmad's setup probably makes really nice gains; something along those lines that doesn't have to sacrifice headlights will be excellent for our cars.

As far as the TB goes, the only way a larger TB would have substantial gains worthy of the price premium is if the stock TB was a huge bottle-neck in the intake system... If, somehow, the TB wasn't allowing the full potential of air into the engine. I believe there are a few ponies to be gained by switching to a larger TB, but nothing worth the price and labor involved, not without increasing cold outside air into the engine first.
bobgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #7

Drives: 2009 C63 amg
hey bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlav06 View Post
I agree with bobgodd; definitely take advantage of the deal that Cory and Kleemann is running right now for their headers. They are 50% off, and the performance gains are great (not to mention the sound)! I have the Kleemann K2 kit on my '04 E55 (includes, pulley, ECU upgrade and headers) and I feel a tremendous difference. Kleemann claims performance gains of 40-50HP just with the headers. Well worth it!
how many hp do your k2 kit mod gain? i am also thinking mod my e55 with kleemann....

cheers!
^E55^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Drives: W211
Send a message via AIM to BenzoBoi
After the ecu/pulley...I would suggest a cooling upgrade...then the headers and throttle body...
Old 11-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #9

cooling upgrade, tell me more

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi View Post
After the ecu/pulley...I would suggest a cooling upgrade...then the headers and throttle body...
Old 11-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #10

Drives: Mercedes E55 AMG, Range Rover Supercharged, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, Hummer H2
DwightLav06
I haven't had mine dyno'd, but according to Kleemann, the conservative estimate is an increase of 90-100HP and around 120 lb/ft torque. I can definitely feel a huge difference and I can't wait until the Spring to upgrade to the K3 kit (which adds custom sport camshafts and yet another ECU reprogramming). I say go for it; you won't be disappointed. Shoot Cory at Kleemann an email and let him know what you are looking to do (cory@kleemannusa.com). He's a good guy and will give you the real scoop!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Drives: W211
Send a message via AIM to BenzoBoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianR View Post

Christian
Some tuners have you add an additional heat exchanger up in front. Others replace the stock system and have a massive heat exchanger put in it's place. While doing that, you should also look into changing out the intercooler pump. Search Johnson Pump. The 2 that most of the 55k guys go with are either the CM30 or the CM90.

Here are some examples of the cooling package upgrades...
VRP
Click the image to open in full size.

Evosport

Code 3 Performance

CM30 pump

CM90 pump
Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianR View Post

Christian
This is a must for a new pulley!

Look at the one's that benzboi put up and pick one!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #13

Drives: CL65
The cooling mod is good if you are tracking the car and generating a lot of heat. Also if you are in a hot climate and doing back to back runs. If your supercharger is not cutting off then you won't see much gain with the cooling mod.

Also I haven't seen any before and after dynos showing a gain of anywhere near 40 hp with headers alone. Are we talking wheel HP?

Unless you are having supercharger shutdown, and you probably will if you have the large pulley once it gets hot weather, I would vote for the throttlebody and headers at the same time. Everything I've read says the throttlebody will add more power than the headers, but they work best together(more in and more out).
waxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #14

DwightLav06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^E55^ View Post
how many hp do your k2 kit mod gain? i am also thinking mod my e55 with kleemann....

cheers!
Did you get the information you were looking for regarding the Kleemann kits? Definitely visit their website or shoot Cory an email. I think a lot of the other AMG owners on this thread have some great insight/ideas as well. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Be sure to update us on your progress!
AMG

2004 E55 KLEEMANN K3
Kleemann pulley, headers & downpipes, ECU tune, 80mm TB, Ltd Slip Diff., K&N filters, Carbonio CF intake inlet tubes, FTP Heat Exchanger, FTP carbon fiber intake scoops, SS brake lines, DTM sport wheel and paddle shifters
Brilliant Silver / Charcoal: smoked tails, Carbonio cf engine cover, carbon fiber mirrors, front lip and rear diffuser
Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #15

Drives: 2006 E55 (white)
What kind of power are you making with the pulley (which pulley) and tune? If you don't mind me asking.

Who's got your back?????

SQUID
2006 E55
squidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #16

Drives: 2009 C63 AMG, 2007 Toyota Tundra Supercharged, 2005 E55 AMG
Im with the masses.... Deff check out the Kleemann website and contact Corey... He is a great guy and will help lead you in the right direction, this guy is smart!!! He will take good care of you !!!!!!!

2009 C63 P30 (Wife's New Toy)
2007 Toyota Tundra - Supercharged, 9" Lift, 37" Toyo's.... ect.
1969 Jaguar E-Type
1999 BMW M-Coupe (Fully Modded - Sold)
2006 BMW X5 (Wife's - Sold)
2005 E55 - Stage 2 Kleemann (Sold)
E55 Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #17
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
Send a message via MSN to jikjak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi View Post
Some tuners have you add an additional heat exchanger up in front. Others replace the stock system and have a massive heat exchanger put in it's place. While doing that, you should also look into changing out the intercooler pump. Search Johnson Pump. The 2 that most of the 55k guys go with are either the CM30 or the CM90.

Here are some examples of the cooling package upgrades...
VRP

Evosport

Code 3 Performance

CM30 pump

CM90 pump
so for the 3 cooling mod options above, what are the pros and cons of each one? ive spent a few hours reading and trying to understand more about cooling and i need to choose one soon for my car.
jikjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM

Tags
2003, 2005, air, amg, cold, ctt, differance, e55, kit, kleeman, kleemann, modifications, mods, porsche, pulley