Sponsored by:

E63 engine making a ticking sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63
E63 engine making a ticking sound

I just picked up an 07 e63 with 35K miles on the clock and noticed there is a ticking sound that increases as the RPMs increase. Kind of sounds like a bad lifter on old American V8s.

The SA at the Benz dealer where I bought it says this is normal on AMG cars. Has anyone else noticed this or is he blowing smoke up my patooty? My car is CPO and if there is something amiss, I'd like to have it corrected ASAP.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
'06 E55
Drive another E63 and or make an appointment with another stealership
Old 09-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya its normal. I had the same problem on my wifes old SLK55, you could hear it a lot with the top down. my 190e 2.3 8valve and c230 kompressor also sound like a dingy toyota engine from the 80s. and last the E55 Komp does in fact have the same AMG "tick tick tick" sound but it is less noticable and seems to only happen at idle at a stop light once in a while.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
It would help if you make a sound clip of the ticking sound. If it sounds more like knocking sound, then it maybe something more serious, but if it's just a ticking sound that goes away after the car warms up, then you are absolutely right with your diagnosis. It is a very common lifter problem on 63 engines. When the car sits for a while, the lifters will bleed out and rattle. But as air bleeds out, the sound should disappear.

Does it sound like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sevyKecI-DY
Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
CheckM8t:

M156s - 63s engines - have one very common sound - it is ticking coming from lifters.

It is not unusual!

Have you oil changed and put on several hundred miles. If it is still there bring it back to the dealer and have them check it out.

Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63
YES...that is exactly what it sounds like. I brought the car into another Benz dealer and they too said it was normal. They didn't explain it in detail like you folks did. The ticking doesn't go away after the engine warms up though and that has me concerned. The SA fired up a new (2009) E63 and the ticking was there also, although much less pronounced.

I'll do what another member suggests and change the oil and wait it out a while and see what happens.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
It would help if you make a sound clip of the ticking sound. If it sounds more like knocking sound, then it maybe something more serious, but if it's just a ticking sound that goes away after the car warms up, then you are absolutely right with your diagnosis. It is a very common lifter problem on 63 engines. When the car sits for a while, the lifters will bleed out and rattle. But as air bleeds out, the sound should disappear.

Does it sound like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sevyKecI-DY
Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG Kompressor
Originally Posted by Vadim @ FD
CheckM8t:

M156s - 63s engines - have one very common sound - it is ticking coming from lifters.

It is not unusual!

Have you oil changed and put on several hundred miles. If it is still there bring it back to the dealer and have them check it out.

Good Luck!
does the e55komp engine have any ticking sound at idle or any thing like that on the e55komp engine ? we should be hearing ?