Sponsored by:

A bunch of questions for the E55 experts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
A bunch of questions for the E55 experts

First off i'd like to say whatever input you guys have i'd appreciate cause i'm hella new to this car and forum i tried to start a new to E55 thread and didnt get much respones but thanks to those who did. yes i have searched i actually spend most of my day at work reading this forum but i still have a couple of questions that i havent read answers to.

Tranny questions
When tranny is in D and in S mode, whenever i get on the throttle let it go through a gear or so and let off the car never gets out of the gear its currently in. is that normal?

When in M mode and im rolling on the highway say around 70 or so or like 3/3500 and i click it down into third i press the throttle it sometimes will throw me back into the top of second???

Sometimes when im in D and get on it without touching any settings on tranny it will just stay in a gear i let off on till i click it up

On my way home i noticed a little whine in the tranny when slowing down from like 30 to 10mph but if i click it down through first its okay, maybe over analyzing this one??

The car is a 2004 with 50k on it, car has never been painted all mercedes factory paint no bolts turned anywhere and carfax and service history is not bad on the car. I just think whoever owned it before knew nothing about it and just drove it around. I dont know anyone else who has one or even a MB tech so it makes things difficult cause with my M3 i knew a bunch of techs and all my buddies either have M3's or M5's so im looking for some of you experts to help haha.

My pump is a Joke so i will be changing that, coolant, tranny and diff fluid for starters. Do you guys rec to change thermostat? any other pointers would be appreciated

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
I'm fairly new to my E55 also, but I did have an S55 before this. All of the things you described about your tranny are normal. The tranny is trying to be smart and is anticipating your next move. If you get on it and it kicks down, it will stay in that gear for an extended amount of time (compared to a traditional auto). It does this so that the car stays stable if you are entering a turn, or in case you are only slowing for a moment and plan to get back on it. This feature is less pronounced if you have the tranny in comfort mode (C). The tranny will downshift in manual mode if you are on the throttle hard and the engine is likely to bog down.......if you try to start off in manual 2nd gear and you punch it from a standstill, the tranny will shift into first. I hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Originally Posted by Infiniti
First off i'd like to say whatever input you guys have i'd appreciate cause i'm hella new to this car and forum i tried to start a new to E55 thread and didnt get much respones but thanks to those who did. yes i have searched i actually spend most of my day at work reading this forum but i still have a couple of questions that i havent read answers to.

Tranny questions
When tranny is in D and in S mode, whenever i get on the throttle let it go through a gear or so and let off the car never gets out of the gear its currently in. is that normal?

When in M mode and im rolling on the highway say around 70 or so or like 3/3500 and i click it down into third i press the throttle it sometimes will throw me back into the top of second???

Sometimes when im in D and get on it without touching any settings on tranny it will just stay in a gear i let off on till i click it up

On my way home i noticed a little whine in the tranny when slowing down from like 30 to 10mph but if i click it down through first its okay, maybe over analyzing this one??

The car is a 2004 with 50k on it, car has never been painted all mercedes factory paint no bolts turned anywhere and carfax and service history is not bad on the car. I just think whoever owned it before knew nothing about it and just drove it around. I dont know anyone else who has one or even a MB tech so it makes things difficult cause with my M3 i knew a bunch of techs and all my buddies either have M3's or M5's so im looking for some of you experts to help haha.

My pump is a Joke so i will be changing that, coolant, tranny and diff fluid for starters. Do you guys rec to change thermostat? any other pointers would be appreciated

Thanks.
Where are you located at Infiniti? Also as a disclosure I'm no expert haha so anyone please feel free to correct me with the correct technical termonolgy.

From what I know yes it's normal for the car to down shift. It's also normal for the car to hold the gear for a bit just in case you wanted to get back on in. The click you feel when you press all the way down on the pedal is to down shift the car if possible. It's a pain when you are trying to dyno the car in 4th gear with out having it shift into 3rd. But every time I down shift the car manually while in D sport it will hold whatever gear it makes it to until I up shift it. I'm curious though do you know it's holding the gears because you are manually down shifting to were you can see what gear you are in or does the display read D?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
With the exception of your tranny whine, your other symptoms are normal as dgreen and mike mentioned. The click down button (under your gas pedal) will force the car to downshift into the lowest gear possible. The button gets depressed when you mash the pedal to the metal. It still downshifts even if you are in manual mode.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
Hey Mike i am located in Orlando, Fl. It holds the gear when display is in D.

The whine from tranny at low speeds can only be heard when radio is shut off and windows are up and you really have to be paying attention to it, is that normal?

What the car also does is sometimes when reversing and i put it into drive without comming to a stop (when being lazy) the tranny jolts and feels like its going to break. My only guess is previous owner was just doing that alot.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Infiniti
Hey Mike i am located in Orlando, Fl. It holds the gear when display is in D.

The whine from tranny at low speeds can only be heard when radio is shut off and windows are up and you really have to be paying attention to it, is that normal?

What the car also does is sometimes when reversing and i put it into drive without comming to a stop (when being lazy) the tranny jolts and feels like its going to break. My only guess is previous owner was just doing that alot.
As was said, all of the trannny stuff is normal. If you get on it, let out, and it's still holding a low gear, just click on the upshift button a couple of times an it'll start upshifting sooner.

Your tranny noise is likely very normal. I will caution you, every component of these cars seems to make some sort of disconcerting noise that is considered normal. Don't get freaked out when you go to the drive-through and hear your engine ticking like it's about to explode. Also plug your ears when you unlock or open a door in the morning, as you'll likely hear a symphony of pumps and other junk coming to life.

As far as your tranny clunk, well, don't shift into drive while you're still rolling backwards and it won't be an issue.