W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having brake problems and dealer says it's not the SBC.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06" CLS 500
sbc reservoir

Originally Posted by GT-ER
I replaced mine myself and did not bleed the system. The error went away and the car drive perfectly. After however many months I swapped out all the fluid ( regular maintenance ) and bleed the system and it felt just the same as before so I guess the SBC has a was of purging any air inside the valve body.
What steps did you take to change it out yourself?
Old 08-27-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 S550 4matic / 2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ajohn_son
What steps did you take to change it out yourself?
I'm needing to change out my SBC High Pressure Reservoir .

I've had zero luck so far in finding anything on the correct and safe procedures in changing this thing. It clearly reads on the reservoir to NOT unscrew it since it's under high pressure.

I'm wondering if you can wrap a large towel around it and slowly unscrew it to release the pressure? Or is that asking for disaster?
Old 08-29-2015, 05:37 PM
J J

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any DIY write up for this?
Old 10-12-2015, 03:44 PM

e350
Originally Posted by GT-ER
I replaced mine myself and did not bleed the system. The error went away and the car drive perfectly. After however many months I swapped out all the fluid ( regular maintenance ) and bleed the system and it felt just the same as before so I guess the SBC has a was of purging any air inside the valve body.
Hi, I have the same problem and just purchased the reservoir. Can you tell me if you have to do anything special to de-pressure the system? Thank you for your help.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Believe you need to depressurize using the DAS/STAR system. Some of the Range Rover guys that have a similar brake accumulator loosen it slowly with some brake fluid coming out
Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 AM

e350
Originally Posted by cosmictrucker

I've had zero luck so far in finding anything on the correct and safe procedures in changing this thing. It clearly reads on the reservoir to NOT unscrew it since it's under high pressure.

I'm wondering if you can wrap a large towel around it and slowly unscrew it to release the pressure? Or is that asking for disaster?
Hi, did you get any answer on this. I need to change my 2006 E350 pressure reservoir and I do not have a DAS/STAR system. Were you able to remove it by just following the steps needed to put the system in sleep mode?
Old 12-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by cosmictrucker

My 06 E320 CDI (313K miles and ticking!) just started displaying the "Brake - Visit Workshop" message. I used my MB Star's DAS tool for detailed information and it brought up the Fault Code C2131 - "Pressure Reservoir faulty".

The Pressure reservoir can be replaced. The procedure in the attached PDF is from the MB Star diagnostic tool's WIS (Workshop Information System). It is important to first de-activate the SBC system and then replace the Pressure Reservoir. I hope this helps. Take care guys.

Let me know if you need any additional information on this procedure.
Attached Files

Last edited by Avatar2014; 12-11-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:07 PM

2006 W219
DIY sbc or accumulator replacement

Just completed this job. I took the entire SBC pump off. Used 11mm open face wrench for brake lines. There is a youtube video showing how take the pump off. "You Do Not Need Fancy Equipment". Disconnect your battery from the trunk before you begin. This is equivalent to deactivating the SBC with star diagnostic. Take your time and ease the pump out as to not damage or bend the brake lines. Use 12mm for one other brake line on the pump. Use a 17mm for the accumulator. Reverse steps once pump is off. Once everything is hooked back up. Reconnect battery and let the high tech computer bleed the system. I did bleed my brakes just to be on the safe side. I did have some air in my lines. Once done, if this was truly your problem the error should go away on its own. $1800.00 job at the stealership reduced to $190.00 for part and my own labor. Hope this helps take a bite out of MB. Its highway robbery what they are doing.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
So just to be clear, You removed the accumulator that says "high pressure do not remove" and nothing bad happened because the battery was disconnected? The battery under the hood is supposed to be for the brakes?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:24 PM

2006 W219
Exactly! Just disconnect the battery in the trunk and you are good to go. Good luck. I only needed to replace my accumulator but it was on there pretty tight so I took the entire pump out by way of disconnecting all the brake lines. If you can remove the accumulator without taking the pump out of the car you save yourself time and less messy job. I would still bleed the brakes though after you install the new part. Just my 2cents. It's not that hard of a job........
Old 03-02-2016, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Thanks man, I've been wondering about that for a long time. I know it will come up someday. I'll have to buy star or take it in to bleed the brakes. I built a pressure bleeder for it once, but it looked like I was going to blow the tank before any fluid came out.