W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel smell outside the car not inside????

Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
05 E55 AMG
Fuel smell outside the car not inside????

So I searched and found that most of the people with the fuel leak issue have the smell on the inside of the car and find a fuel puddle under the rear seats. thats not the case with my car. I've noticed for the past 2 weeks my car a really strong fuel smell outside the car right in the engine bay. I've popped the hood open but never found anything and can't really pinpoint where the smell is but it's definetely coming from under the hood. Anyone have any insight????
Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
maybe injector leaking?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
If it is an injector or part of the fuel rail, then you're covered under the emissions warranty if you're no longer under warranty.

Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use. With a California vehicle, you may be entitled to additional warranty coverage.

Parts covered:

Fuel Metering System

electronic control module (unit) or EFI air flow meter, computer
command module or mixture control unit, deceleration controls,
electronic choke, fuel injectors, fuel injection units and fuel
altitude compensator sensor, bars or rails for EFI or TBI systems,
mixture settings on sealed fuel mixture control solenoid,
diaphragm or other systems, fuel metering components that achieve closed/other feedback control sensors/loop operation switches and valves.

Plus the Fuel Injection System and fuel distributor.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
+1, def injector or rail
Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 PM

05 E55 AMG
Cool, thanks for the input guys Thing is, I drove it home from work today pulled over checked for smells and got nothing, I swear this car has a mind of its' own.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
mine does this too. but only sometimes. and only does this in the morning first startup sitting in garage or drive way. real inconsistent. smell goes away after driving down the road and then never happens rest of day.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
try and pull the codes off of your car using an odb reader. even if you dont have a check engine light, you probably have a pending code stored.

i had the exact same issue a while back and had several cannister vent shut valves and the evaporator purge valve replaced. the cannister valves got rid of the smell of gas underneath my car and the purge valve got rid of the smell of gas within the engine bay.

the smell of gas within the engine bay was only recognizable during cold starts.

a few months after replacing the purge valve, the gas smell was back within the engine bay. in the end, the dealer updated my ECU and things have been good since.

the code that kept coming up was p0456.

hope this helps,

Oscar
Old 03-27-2011, 04:02 PM

05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by O-55
try and pull the codes off of your car using an odb reader. even if you dont have a check engine light, you probably have a pending code stored.

i had the exact same issue a while back and had several cannister vent shut valves and the evaporator purge valve replaced. the cannister valves got rid of the smell of gas underneath my car and the purge valve got rid of the smell of gas within the engine bay.

the smell of gas within the engine bay was only recognizable during cold starts.

a few months after replacing the purge valve, the gas smell was back within the engine bay. in the end, the dealer updated my ECU and things have been good since.

the code that kept coming up was p0456.

hope this helps,

Oscar
Thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
I have the same issue, so the end result is a ECU reflash or the purge valve?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
its the oring on the fuel pressure damper.you can buy one at rockauto http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...792&cc=1432296

it's located on the fuel rail at the back passanger side of the motor by the firewall.pull off the air intake tube on the passanger side and you will see it.
mine only leaked gas on cold starts after the car sat overnight.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jonnyc
its the oring on the fuel pressure damper.you can buy one at rockauto http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...792&cc=1432296

it's located on the fuel rail at the back passanger side of the motor by the firewall.pull off the air intake tube on the passanger side and you will see it.
mine only leaked gas on cold starts after the car sat overnight.

Is this easily replaceable ?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:19 PM

e55
Originally Posted by ss.dna02
Is this easily replaceable ?
it's not hard to replace the part but the hard part is getting to it.i took all the air intake off from the grill to the throttle body.but you can do it by just unbolting the air cleaner covers and unclip the air intake "y" from the throttle body(just be careful not to break the clips on the "y".then lift the two covers and intake tubes out as one unit.you will be able to see the damper under the throttle body from the passanger side.use your thumb to push in on the damper while you use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the retaining clip.then pull the damper out.it's a good idea to put an old towel under it to catch the little bit of fuel and also to catch the retainer clip just in case you drop it.also lube the new oring before you put the new damper in to keep from tearing the oring.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:20 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
Just did mine yesterday, straight forward job. Two shops in town insisted the fuel rail had to come off but it does not.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:13 PM

03 E55 Kompressor
Same here, 03 E55 leaking fuel on transmission bell-housing passenger side, on cold starts only. Thanks for the info, love this forum. I was about to pull the rail, SC, etc. I will try replacing the O-ring without removing any of that first ;-) Every time something random breaks all I can think is... CTS-V? Literally something new weekly. Just past 100k, can't believe the amount of "plastic" or "band aid" engineering in this POS. ...The things one will tolerate for a measly 500 hp. :/ Next on the list: "machine gun locks" that started a few days ago, OMG this car is ****ty. But I love it so much.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 AM

2006 MB E55 AMG
I have the gas smell on the outside only when the tank is full. It has never smelled on the inside. It seems to be worse to the back of the car also. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by emwulff
Same here, 03 E55 leaking fuel on transmission bell-housing passenger side, on cold starts only. Thanks for the info, love this forum. I was about to pull the rail, SC, etc. I will try replacing the O-ring without removing any of that first ;-) Every time something random breaks all I can think is... CTS-V? Literally something new weekly. Just past 100k, can't believe the amount of "plastic" or "band aid" engineering in this POS. ...The things one will tolerate for a measly 500 hp. :/ Next on the list: "machine gun locks" that started a few days ago, OMG this car is ****ty. But I love it so much.
Machine gun lock... very common on MB cars.

Small amount of lube shot down the lock post does the trick.