W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the rear seat headrests?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
How do I remove the rear seat headrests?

Hi guys, I cannot figure this out for the life of me without wanting to break things apart. I have everything removed to get the subwoofer out except for the rear headrests and no matter what I do they are not complying. I see on each headrest there is a latch type of deal which I have figured out allows the headrest to lock or not.

There is also a plug at the far end of the headrest that I can pull out, but it still does not release the rests? Do I have to release the springs and everything or is there a simpler method? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Armada
These are a PITA to take out. but can be done. take out the back seat. at the top you can see where the motors to control the headrest are. On the passenger side is where I would start. look closely and you will see a little black lever. take a small flathead and press it down as you pull the metal arm of the headrest toward the window. Then just repeat that process for all the arms and there you have it. You will need some patients for this is not a quick ordeal the first time you do it. Good Luck.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by jayhawkblk
These are a PITA to take out. but can be done. take out the back seat. at the top you can see where the motors to control the headrest are. On the passenger side is where I would start. look closely and you will see a little black lever. take a small flathead and press it down as you pull the metal arm of the headrest toward the window. Then just repeat that process for all the arms and there you have it. You will need some patients for this is not a quick ordeal the first time you do it. Good Luck.
When you say take out the back seat, You are referring to the actual seat right? or the backrest and all, and if backrest as well, How is this removed?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:49 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
When you say take out the back seat, You are referring to the actual seat right? or the backrest and all, and if backrest as well, How is this removed?
I was referring to the back rest but you have to remove the bottem cushions to get the back out.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I was referring to the back rest but you have to remove the bottem cushions to get the back out.
are there buttons to release it? if so where and thanks in advance
Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
are there buttons to release it? if so where and thanks in advance
Yes they are on the front of the cushion. Just pull the front up and press tab then it will pop right out. The back has 3 nuts that need to be removed then lift up.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
How do I remove the rear seat headrests?-removingandinstallingrearheadrestraints.jpg
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Roverron; 05-18-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
So the clips are to get the back SEAT out, which are the two on either side, but the 3 bolts get the back rest off? if so then Thank you!
Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi. I tried your suggestion with the little black levers and they still do not budge, I actually busted one lever off on accident.

Originally Posted by Roverron

Hope this helps.
This looks promising here! I think I am going to try this tonight and see if I can get it done! Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi. I took the slide covers off, but the problem is there are no arresting levers. I look up and down and they are not there. I think this graphic does not apply to the W211. Any more information anyone? Mine seemed to be locked in place and they will not budge.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
No motors on BACK seat headrests WTF
Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Maybe this helps:
Attached Thumbnails How do I remove the rear seat headrests?-113319869.jpg   How do I remove the rear seat headrests?-113320362.jpg  
Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA45

Last edited by mb techman; 09-23-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:47 PM

2012 Armada
Originally Posted by mb techman
as a tech, trust me when i say, these are a major PITA and ive done them several times.

try them on a powered rear seat on a w221.

anywho, to explain to you in plain text is next to near impossible.

its part ,having to actually show you and part feel. takes alot of practice.

Amen to this...
Old 05-20-2011, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just want to say that I did get them off finally, but none of the instructions posted were correct. The little black levers do not release the headrests! They are held in my a pin that looks like a paper clip and is downright impossible to get to. I do not know now if I will ever be able to get them back in now that I disconnected the pin. PITA is all I can say, and I should have not of done it!!!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
I think that i told you that already. You did not need them out to get the factory sub out.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Roverron
I think that i told you that already. You did not need them out to get the factory sub out.
How? It is enclosed by plastic which is locked in by the cover on top of it. From what I have seen you cannot just twist it and pull it out because the plastic around it has to come up first. You have any tips?
Old 12-27-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300, Viper RT/10, E55
Bump as i'm getting ready to install a aftermarket sub to my factory system.. so,
1) does the factory sub have to come out to get decent sound into the cabin?
2) do the headrest have to come out to get the sub out and if not, any tips on how to get the sub out without taking out the head rests?
3) any tips on getting it out if it does need to or should come out?

i did get some pdf's sent to me which details removing the rear panel, but not specifically the sub.. so just looking for more complete instructions before i dive in. any help is appreciated!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Removing the sub is not very hard. From the inside of the trunk use a flat tip screw driver and mallet to unlock the sub from the trunk frame. It will now be loose and when you get to it from the inside of the car after removing the headrests and messing with the rear board you can pull it out. I removed the whole speaker enclosure then removed the sub and then reinserted it into its original place because there are a left and right speaker that should be reconnected.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
this is useful as I need to get to the rear sunshade motor as it is stuck in the up position - and need to get the rear deck free to get to the power supply - thnx for the help - i know i jacked this thread a bit but good help
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM

W212 E63S
When everything else fails

Last edited by kyastas; 02-14-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
a unicorn tuned p30 e63
I am trying to change the subwoofer and these headrest are killing me! anyone have any info or useful tips? i have read this thread 10 times and searched all over google. i see the black levers but regardless of what i do i can't get them out.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2014, 06:28 PM

2004 E55
google bump.

I knew what to do, saw what to do, did what to do and they are still a pain in the dick. Start on the middle one, remove all the t30 torx screws and let it drop down so you can see what the holy ****ing over engineered bull**** you are dealing with, and it also allows you to be able to push the black levers with your fingers. You can get to the left side lever through the hole cut out in the metal, unless you have bratwurst fingers; then use a tool. Some release easier than others, most are miserably clingy like that virgin you wiped out in high school.

Whoever said to start on the passenger side is a masochist.

Literally needed to drink after these were out. It was that bad.

3 headrests with motors: 8 pounds removed.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
How do you do this? I'm trying to take out the headrests and I'm not really understanding any of the instructions...
Old 11-05-2014, 10:05 AM

03 E55 AMG
I had the same problem as you and there is very little material on this procedure. You have the Harmon-Kardon spec speakers like me. I have done this 4 times when I originally removed my OE sub and replaced it with a boxed twin 12" setup that I hated so much, I re-installed my OE setup. This is a serious PITA and takes some time and finesse. I am working off my memory here, so I may get a few things in the wrong order. Once you have removed your backseat completely (bottom first then top) and unbolted the seat belts from the seat floor you need to pop out the plastic clips around the base of the headrest tubes that are clipped into the backboard. I found a small flat screwdriver perfect for pulling these out. Be careful not to damage the backboard when levering these out. Once these are out, if you then look through the rear window from the outside, you should be able to see the little black clips on either side of where the headrest pillars disappear into the backboard. Once I had a mental picture of how they looked and worked, I was able to go inside the car and using my fingers feel for the clips. I found using a 3 inch gutter bolt much easier than a screwdriver to remove the headrests. Once you have located the clips with your fingers, use the gutter bolt to depress them while at the same time pulling the headrest free on the side you are releasing. Be careful not to let them them clip back into place when repeating the same process on the other side of the headrest. You should have to release 6 clips in total and all 3 headrests should pop completely out. Now comes the difficult part - removing the c-pillar headliner! This is a very delicate process that involves peeling the door rubber away from the c-pillar headliner. I found that using an old credit card to do this worked like a charm. You then need to dig your fingers into the seat belt recess and pull gently away from the car body. It has a plastic clip which pops out. DO NOT PULL TOO HARD because there is another fragile clip located closer to the rear window! Once you have released the clip closest to the seat belt recess, very gently slide the c-pillar headliner in the direction of the back of the drivers or the passenger seats. If you break this clip they are impossible to repair, expensive to replace and a nightmare to find in a scrapyard. The backboard is attached to the cars metal body with a few plastic pop out clips, once these are removed you simply pull the backboard towards yourself to remove and it should just slide out. You should have access to your sub. Disconnect 4 sets of cables which are clipped in near the speakers (one clip for each mid and 2 clips for the dual sub). Gripping the entire speaker tray you should be able to twist anti-clockwise to release the plastic locking tabs and the entire assembly should come out. You are done!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the rear seat headrests?