W211 CGW & CAN Bus Issues - Corrosion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55
W211 CGW & CAN Bus Issues - Corrosion

Hi all,

A few weeks ago on the hwy my 04 e55 started flashing ESP, ABS, SRS, TeleAid, Display Malfunction, and the speedo would intermittently drop to 0. When I arrived to my destination and shifted to Park the cluster still reported drive and would not go into gear. SBC Hold and paddle shifters also did not work. I came back for some troubleshooting and my scanner was unable to communicate with almost any modules except for ME (ECU?), along with an immediate P0600 code. I was able to read live data from (I think ECU) to confirm that the wheel speed, and trans output are reporting the correct info (initially I was targeting these due to the speedo symptom). I cleared codes from the modules I could access and since then the gear shifter has worked fine and cluster reports correct gear. Paddle shifters also started working again, but SBC Hold does not.

Currently the car drives fine, but immediately throws P0600, TeleAid Malfunction, Display Malfunction, and has an SRS light on dash. The lock/unlock alarm chirp also stopped working. I did some reading and started to look at the Central Gateway - which was so badly corroded that one of the casing pins had actually broken off. The new CGW arrived today and I decided to just pop it in to see what happened before trying to code with STAR - same exact symptoms with P0600 and scanner could not communicate with CGW. Then I disassembled both CGW, thoroughly cleaned the old one, and put it in the new casing - same result. Then I pulled the CGW fuse out from dr. dash fuse box and started the car.. same result.

Figured I would seek advice while waiting for STAR laptop to charge as now am doubting whether STAR will even be able to communicate with CGW to code and not sure where to look next. Clearly the CGW needed to be replaced, but I am under the impression that even a non-coded CGW should work, but would throw errors until properly coded. Seeing as the symptoms do not change with the CGW fuse pulled, what does that tell me? The two CGW wiring connectors and wires look perfectly fine.

Does anyone have a pinout for the CGW connectors that I can verify at least voltage is getting to the module? What is the best way to proceed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Old 07-22-2023, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55
Just to update.. as suspected DAS was not able to connect to the CGW in order to copy coding to new, and I couldn't initialize new CGW by itself without online connection on my chinese C3.

I was able to confirm swapping the CGW from my 05 e55 removed all symptoms, so will need to tinker with STAR to see if I can bypass online req. or bring it to dealer for coding.