W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 Service G Maintenance - Input welcomed

Old 09-08-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
E55 Service G Maintenance - Input welcomed

This is my first MB and it has 57.5k miles and I have a service G coming up in 1500 miles. I've searched and pulled the services required:
1 - Inspect brakes
2 - Replace air cleaner
5 - Replace fuel filter
7 - Replace spark plugs
9 - Inspect body and replace brake fluid
10 - Clean sunroof
12 - Change engine oil and filter
13 - Comprehensive inspection

I called my local MB dealer in Houston and they quoted me the usual $500 (basic) to $900 (preferred).

My question for you experienced guys is "is all this required"? I've always maintained my domestic sports cars myself. Here's what I'm thinking:
1 - Previous owner replaced brake pads this year
2 - Purchase my own K&N
5 - See if indy will replace fuel filter under recall (I have aftermarket warranty)
7 -10 skip these
Have indy change oil and filter and do comprehensive inspection for a lot less $. I'm even considering changing my own oil if it's not too difficult.

I would just like input as it seems like a ripoff to take it to the dealer for wiper blades, horn fluid and a bottle of soda for a $500 tab. Thanks
Old 09-09-2011, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
You need to change brake fluid every 2yrs.

If it is time to change the plugs, do it. I think you can find a DIY in the forum.

Shop for a lower price.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Cheaping out on basic maintence means HUGE repair bills later. This is not a car to cheap out on maintence, if that's your plan you bought the wrong car
Old 09-09-2011, 10:28 AM

2003 E55 AMG
Guys,

I am not trying to "cheap out" or "cut corners". I simply wanted to know what some of you were doing to maintain your car.

Take it to an indy
Take it to the dealer

I am meticulous about how I care for my cars. MY ONLY CONCERN WAS TO NOT GET ROBBED AT DEALERSHIP!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Take it to a indy, much much cheaper financially, and your wallet will thank you. Or you could be like myself and perform the maintenance yourself.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
If you know a good indy shop then don't go to dealer. Last time my dealer quoted for Service A which only oil change (not even include air filter and check other fluid) for $140. They only give you a free car wash.
My indy shop charge $90 and check around the car and only waited 1 hour. For basic maintenance no need to go dealer.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
If you know a good indy shop then don't go to dealer. Last time my dealer quoted for Service A which only oil change (not even include air filter and check other fluid) for $140. They only give you a free car wash.
My indy shop charge $90 and check around the car and only waited 1 hour. For basic maintenance no need to go dealer.
Thanks Charlie, this is really what I was looking for. Just basic advice/recommendation on where to take it and how much to pay.....
Old 09-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Check your pm
Old 09-11-2011, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
You can easily do all of the service items recommended in this service yourself. Just search the DIY section of this forum for the answers. Air/cabin air filters are extremely easy. Oil change isn't much different than any domestic (other than the filter itself). In regards to brake fluid change, some people say two years. I have gone three years without a brake fluid change and my brakes are still as reactive as they were the day I purchased the vehicle (although I plan to change my rotors and pads at the 70k mark). I have 60,000 and haven't changed the spark plugs yet, but again, plan to at the 70k mark.

If you have maintained your previous vehicles yourself, why don't you maintain this one yourself as well? As stated, there are some excellent DIY articles by members in this forum that are vey easy to follow... For parts, http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/ can't be beat. People will tell you that parts.com is cheaper, and yes, the price listed for the parts, IS cheaper, but then you add the shipping (15% of the order!), and http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/ comes out cheaper almost all the time!!! http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/ has a set 8.99 shipping fee. The only thing they don't ship is oil/fluids due to their "hazardous" rating. For that, http://www.autohausaz.com/ is a good source (I got my transmission fluid from them). If it wasn't done at the 40k level, you may want to do the transmission fluid as well. If you don't do the complete flush, at least change the gasket and filter. My transmission fluid at 40k looked almost identical to the new stuff, but I am glad I changed it nonetheless. The magnets in the pan had a lot of metal shavings (normal) that I am glad I got to lean out! I plan on doing it again at the 80k mark...

In regards to the fuel filter, there are DIY for this as well. I am not sure if mine was changed by the previous owner or not (I bought it as a CPO with 21k on the dash. Personally, this is the only thing I am leery of doing myself...

Another thing you may want to do is the supercharge belt. Very easy to do! Serpentine belt is pretty easy to do as well (just remember the routing)!!!

All in all, do your due diligence and hit the DIY articles, gather the information you need and maintain your beast yourself! Save a ton of $$$ (even over independent shops) and have the pride and satisfaction of doing it yourself!!!

Last edited by 06E55; 09-11-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:03 AM

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 06E55
You can easily do all of the service items recommended in this service yourself. Just search the DIY section of this forum for the answers. Air/cabin air filters are extremely easy. Oil change isn't much different than any domestic (other than the filter itself). In regards to brake fluid change, some people say two years. I have gone three years without a brake fluid change and my brakes are still as reactive as they were the day I purchased the vehicle (although I plan to change my rotors and pads at the 70k mark). I have 60,000 and haven't changed the spark plugs yet, but again, plan to at the 70k mark.

If you have maintained your previous vehicles yourself, why don't you maintain this one yourself as well? As stated, there are some excellent DIY articles by members in this forum that are vey easy to follow... For parts, http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/ can't be beat. People will tell you that parts.com is cheaper, and yes, the price listed for the parts, IS cheaper, but then you add the shipping (15% of the order!), and http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/ comes out cheaper almost all the time!!! http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/ has a set 8.99 shipping fee. The only thing they don't ship is oil/fluids due to their "hazardous" rating. For that, http://www.autohausaz.com/ is a good source (I got my transmission fluid from them). If it wasn't done at the 40k level, you may want to do the transmission fluid as well. If you don't do the complete flush, at least change the gasket and filter. My transmission fluid at 40k looked almost identical to the new stuff, but I am glad I changed it nonetheless. The magnets in the pan had a lot of metal shavings (normal) that I am glad I got to lean out! I plan on doing it again at the 80k mark...

In regards to the fuel filter, there are DIY for this as well. I am not sure if mine was changed by the previous owner or not (I bought it as a CPO with 21k on the dash. Personally, this is the only thing I am leery of doing myself...

Another thing you may want to do is the supercharge belt. Very easy to do! Serpentine belt is pretty easy to do as well (just remember the routing)!!!

All in all, do your due diligence and hit the DIY articles, gather the information you need and maintain your beast yourself! Save a ton of $$$ (even over independent shops) and have the pride and satisfaction of doing it yourself!!!
06E55; that's exactly what I was looking for. I guess I was just a bit intimidated being my first MB and all. You're right though, there's no reason I can't do a lot of this myself. I may have some help from a few board members and have an indy do something I can't do/don't want to do. Thanks for the spark of confidence...

TC
Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CTS-V ///
yeah, take it to a indy that specialize in AMG/MBZ's, taking it to the dealer doesnt always mean they'll do great work. ive heard bad stories about the dealers here in my area.

Originally Posted by Yuille36
Take it to a indy, much much cheaper financially, and your wallet will thank you. Or you could be like myself and perform the maintenance yourself.