W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Both my motors went lean and also detonated.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Both my motors went lean and also detonated.

After a few years, took the other 6 pistons out of my engine, to look them over.

Old stock motor with 178mm/ tune and 80mm TB only.. One piston exploded and the other two blew ring lands off.

Second motor was built and also went very lean and detonated on number 7. just a tad melt on top of piston and deep scored the wall.

This local guy had mods for 530 hp and detonated on 3 cylinders with number 8 meltiing piston and gash in cylinder wall. This motor blew last winter and I have the block, to do some reasearch.. He did not want his name mentioned, but the picture of the piston is pretty cool to look at.

I am a firm believer in forged pistons, after seeing all this damage. My stock piston motor with light mods was just wiped out from parts! Even the SC and supercharger gone!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-13-2011, 10:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
You could say that again. After blowing pistons on my 2nd engine I decided to get some forged pistons 3rd time around. Glad I did.
Play the mod game... pay the mod tax.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Ouch. So would you say something was wrong in the tune? Bad quality gas?

Aaron
Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
Ouch. So would you say something was wrong in the tune? Bad quality gas?

Aaron
I always say, parts dont blow engines, people do. Your tuner is like the Doctor of your engine. They should set you on a healthy, powerfull path and tell you when to stop or go and how to be safe.

If you change something, they should give you a good check over and say if you are ok to handle a night of long lasting sex!! Having your heart explode before or during the race, really sucks! So they say..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Tech-Tune
You could say that again. After blowing pistons on my 2nd engine I decided to get some forged pistons 3rd time around. Glad I did.
Play the mod game... pay the mod tax.
the second picture is a forged piston but it only had one micro melt spot on it. Forged really helps a lot but it can only handle so much abuse as well.!!

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Just goes to show that built motors are not 100% safe either. You spend all that money building your bottom end, and if not buttoned up correctly with a toon, and correct fueling, it is worthless.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
While we don't know all the facts such as tune and knock sensors, etc. functioning properly, I still believe a little richness is always cheaper than pistons (and valves). With that said, the last time I saw such widespread damage, it resulted from the inadvertent use of low octane fuel, but I suppose the wrong application of spray could also cause this. I have absolutely no real world experience with NOX, it was jsut a thought.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I always say, parts dont blow engines, people do. Your tuner is like the Doctor of your engine. They should set you on a healthy, powerfull path and tell you when to stop or go and how to be safe.

If you change something, they should give you a good check over and say if you are ok to handle a night of long lasting sex!! Having your heart explode before or during the race, really sucks! So they say..
Looks like your doctor put your car on fen phen and its heart gave up,twice!!!!

I would try a new doctor

Just saying
Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Why Oh Why can't the SLR pistons be cheaper!!!?????

Those are some scary pics!!!

Last edited by Jakpro1; 11-14-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
i'd use a different doctor
Old 11-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55K, Duc 848
Originally Posted by prodigymb
i'd use a different doctor
haha, 2nd that
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Why Oh Why can't the SLR pistons be cheaper!!!?????

Those are some scary pics!!!
The SLR pistons are nice but still made for alusil walls. I still prefer to have a good forged race piston and run it on Nickasil. I am staying with wiseco and updating the piston design some.

I know there are a few motors running around with forged pistons but all different brands. This is a chance to work with Wiseco and really dial in the piston design, since I have pistons that ran for 26K already and now came out to study wear patterns. They look great and wore really well but things can always be better.

Lot of power potential in piston design, if you dial it in just right. This pistons are really low friction, lot more oiling holes and a ton of anti-detonation features made in them.

My bottom end was all stock, except piston, rings and nickasil coated walls. Rings are steel alloy with nitride coating on them. tuff stuff! Parts are 3 weeks out, and then motor should go back together pretty quick.

My forged piston block goes off today to be bored a tad and re-nikasil coated. My first block should go of this week, to have as large of steel sleeves put in as possible. 5.7 Litre range, s the plan.

-

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Hey Brooke, while you have extra blocks lying around how about look into making cyclinder braces for the open deck block? Kinda like what the Honda boys do.

Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLDEN-EAGLE...19197938801810

Last edited by Forrest Gump 9; 11-15-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Hey Brooke, while you have extra blocks lying around how about look into making cyclinder braces for the open deck block? Kinda like what the Honda boys do.

Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLDEN-EAGLE...19197938801810
Yes!

You seem to be on the way to making big power and an open deck block may cause issues with your head gaskets and countless other problems.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Hey brotha, I have a couple questions on your build, are our rods and cranks forged? Why not sleeve the cylinder walls for added strength, and I know you have used Wiseco in the past, what about JE; Mahle or CP or Diamond. Thought of going Billet for amazing strength and reduced weight on the rods and pistons? Billet is able to withstand 1500HP

Experimenting with pistons, why not chose a design to significantly drop compression to say 8:5:1, terminator motors have that ratio, aluminum block too, and are able to handle 800rwhp + consistently now when TUNED right.

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
The SLR pistons are nice but still made for alusil walls. I still prefer to have a good forged race piston and run it on Nickasil. I am staying with wiseco and updating the piston design some.

I know there are a few motors running around with forged pistons but all different brands. This is a chance to work with Wiseco and really dial in the piston design, since I have pistons that ran for 26K already and now came out to study wear patterns. They look great and wore really well but things can always be better.

Lot of power potential in piston design, if you dial it in just right. This pistons are really low friction, lot more oiling holes and a ton of anti-detonation features made in them.

My bottom end was all stock, except piston, rings and nickasil coated walls. Rings are steel alloy with nitride coating on them. tuff stuff! Parts are 3 weeks out, and then motor should go back together pretty quick.

My forged piston block goes off today to be bored a tad and re-nikasil coated. My first block should go of this week, to have as large of steel sleeves put in as possible. 5.7 Litre range, s the plan.

-
Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
9.0 compression is just fine.