Sponsored by:

Changed plugs car feels slower...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW HERE, SAME SCREEN NAME ON OVER 15 FORUMS
Changed plugs car feels slower...

Needless to say we changed the 118k mile factory plugs on my e55 and the car feels slower... I wouldn't put it in the catagory of limpmode but it almost seems to have misses at low rpm wot... Would a full adaptations reset via star possibly fix this... I have done the " soft reset" before, the day I got the car woke it up some but I don't think personally it does anything it was more psychological than anything, though I still continue to find my self trying it weekly...
My theory is if it truly reset the tcu shops with star would be doing that " quick fix " charging $80 and sending them on there way with a reset tcu...

A local shop charges 80.00 to reset the values via star and I'm curious if this might fix the sluggish feeling... Pervious owner drove the car slow/steady thus now I have it wanting to go fast and all I get is this... :-/ fuel economy > performance... Other possible issues based on miles could be temperamental I/C pump but again reading the signs of people sayin there car feels like a c230 I don't experience that... Just lacks low end power and or a throw you back against seat feeling..

Any help is greatly appreciated... The car is stock except removed 2nd cats and res which made s slight performance increase if at all, more so the tone is exactly what I was after till I invest in a complete headers back system...

Thanks again guys!!!!

Brian
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Btw sorry for typos this was all done via cell phone at 4 am... Will edit once I get to my computer
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 AM

Iridium ngk laser welded MB plugs installed...
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Go back and make certain you've fully seated all of the spark plug wire boots on their spark plugs. You should either hear or feel a definite click when the boots snaps into place. The boots are a very snug fit, and it's really easy to think one is fully seated when in fact it isn't.

I had a similar experience when I changed my plugs. It seemed like it was running a bit rough with some misses. Went back and checked, and sure enough, I had two or three boots that weren't fully snapped onto the plugs. A reset shouldn't be necessary for a simple spark plug change.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by komp55
Go back and make certain you've fully seated all of the spark plug wire boots on their spark plugs. You should either hear or feel a definite click when the boots snaps into place. The boots are a very snug fit, and it's really easy to think one is fully seated when in fact it isn't.

I had a similar experience when I changed my plugs. It seemed like it was running a bit rough with some misses. Went back and checked, and sure enough, I had two or three boots that weren't fully snapped onto the plugs. A reset shouldn't be necessary for a simple spark plug change.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 AM

The plug wires look new ish are factory wires bosch? Looked at possibly replacing them but will check that first thing.. All plugs are torqued to 25-30nm as close to 28 nm I could get...

Will keep this updated upon my findings
Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ez-2-spd
The plug wires look new ish are factory wires bosch? Looked at possibly replacing them but will check that first thing.. All plugs are torqued to 25-30nm as close to 28 nm I could get...

Will keep this updated upon my findings
The factory wires a bosch. Just remove and re-seat all the wires and make sure they pop in and are in the correct order.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Scan for codes, to find misfire.
Star reset = sneaky ECU reset, you can do that yourself.
Did you use the 17 mm offset wrench to remove your wires?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 PM

Yep used 17mm vs yanking em...but one didn't feel seated right on opposite end from plug is there a trick bc when you push it on its almost like air gets stuck in end of boot so to speak so you have to put it on and let the air out of the end... That's only part that didn't feel right plug wires were all tight on the plugs...

As for ecu reset there are lots of rules some say lock doors others say dont basically sit there for 2 min till you hear the noise... Even if you don't do reset and you sit in car for 2 min it still makes same noise...
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Use star to check codes? If so reset adaptations at same time... No codes vie autozone scanner
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM

Sneaky reset plus reset battery for 3 hours and drives much better... Wish it didnt shift at such low rpm... Want it to hold at higher rpm
Old 02-20-2012, 10:54 PM

Sometimes at wot the car shifts at 3,000-3,500 rpm :/ and ideas is this adaptations? It's like it's trying to achieve best mpg vs best performance