Sponsored by:

Problems! Can't beat a stock 2012 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Problems! Can't beat a stock 2012 Mustang GT

I have a Eurocharged Supercharger Pulley and a box tune. No other modifications. I tried racing a stock 2012 Mustang GT tonight. From 0, from 15, from 40, and he beat me ALL times. My car feels fast....no errors...

Maybe IC Pump? Anyway I can know for sure?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
2006 E55
Does he have a turbo under the hood?

'12 GT should be a cake walk for a STOCK E55.

A 5.0 with some bolt-ons might have something to keep up...but still shouldn't beat you like that. Also, your car likely heatsoaked and pulled timing after the second run.

Do you have any cooling mods?

Last edited by ArmoE55; 05-23-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
Does he has a turbo under the hood?

'12 GT should be a cake walk for a STOCK E55.

A 5.0 with some bolt-ons might have something to keep up...but still shouldn't beat you like that. Also, your car likely heatsoaked and pulled timing after the second run.

Do you have any cooling mods?
The Mustang GT is definitely stock, I know the owner pretty well and know he wouldn't sneak in a turbo, lol. About 3 months ago before I added a supercharger pulley/tune I went against a different friend that also had a 2012 stock GT and I walked him easily. So, it looks like I'm slower now with the pulley/tune!

I have zero cooling mods. I'm guessing I should start with the IC Pump?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
The turbo comment was a joke.

You're not slower, but your car was probably heatsoaked, especially if you don't have any cooling mods. Where are you located? In the Tri-State area, it has been 90+ the last few days, so easy to lose power with these cars in high heat and humidity.

I'd start with larger capacity HE and a Bosch 010.

Like I said above, a '12 GT should be no issues at all for a stock E55.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
A stock GT would be an easy kill. Bolt on GT's would be another story.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
your pump might be on its way out, get a new one and run him again.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:38 AM

CLS55
The turbo comment was a joke.

You're not slower, but your car was probably heatsoaked, especially if you don't have any cooling mods. Where are you located? In the Tri-State area, it has been 90+ the last few days, so easy to lose power with these cars in high heat and humidity.

I'd start with larger capacity HE and a Bosch 010.

Like I said above, a '12 GT should be no issues at all for a stock E55.
I'm near the tri-state area but above you, I'm in Rhode Island. It has been terribly humid here lately...I can't stand it!

Am I able to get the Bosch 010 from the dealer? I'm really hoping the issues I'm having are heat/cooling related and not something worse!
Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
If you cruise down the road then punch it does the car blow a big black cloud behind you when it downshifts and takes off? Your box tune could be running way to rich and needs to be adjusted. I am different since I have a bigger throttle body and headers, but when I went to a supercharger pulley and got a "box tune" installed the car was running 10:1 air/fuel ratio when it should be mid 11s or even close to 12.

The car would dump a ton of fuel if from a stop I gunned it or cruising and then flooring it doing the downshift and taking off, same thing, big cloud of black smoke. You can expect a little bit of smoke but this was excessive like fogging the road out behind me like a tuned diesel damn near. I knew the tune was not right for my car. When I originally got the tune Jerry said they are usually pretty spot on but mine was not. I went to the dyno and saw the air/fuel on the graph and then sent the dyno file showing air/fuel (dynojet) to Jerry and he fixed it and I reflashed the car and I gained 32whp on the next pull and then another 2 on a pull following immediately after (1 minute later) with the air/fuel looking good now.

If you can do a few pulls right close together and the car doesn't loose a TON of power as in the supercharger doesn't engage, then I would say it is probably not your intercooler pump. If the car will do one or two good pulls then lose a TON of power, then it is your intercooler pump.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:51 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by urbamworm
If you cruise down the road then punch it does the car blow a big black cloud behind you when it downshifts and takes off? Your box tune could be running way to rich and needs to be adjusted. I am different since I have a bigger throttle body and headers, but when I went to a supercharger pulley and got a "box tune" installed the car was running 10:1 air/fuel ratio when it should be mid 11s or even close to 12.

The car would dump a ton of fuel if from a stop I gunned it or cruising and then flooring it doing the downshift and taking off, same thing, big cloud of black smoke. You can expect a little bit of smoke but this was excessive like fogging the road out behind me like a tuned diesel damn near. I knew the tune was not right for my car. When I originally got the tune Jerry said they are usually pretty spot on but mine was not. I went to the dyno and saw the air/fuel on the graph and then sent the dyno file showing air/fuel (dynojet) to Jerry and he fixed it and I reflashed the car and I gained 32whp on the next pull and then another 2 on a pull following immediately after (1 minute later) with the air/fuel looking good now.

If you can do a few pulls right close together and the car doesn't loose a TON of power as in the supercharger doesn't engage, then I would say it is probably not your intercooler pump. If the car will do one or two good pulls then lose a TON of power, then it is your intercooler pump.
Thanks for tips!

When I'm cruising down the road and I punch it, I don't get a black cloud behind me.

I don't really feel like I am loosing a TON of power, but feel like it's definitely lacking (hence, not beatings the GT). I can speak from experience: about 2 months ago my supercharger pulley gave out (belt came off of it, ended up having it dealer replaced) and I did (of course) notice a HUGE loss of power when that happened. Should that be similar to the power loss I would experience with intercooler pump issues?

Is the air/fuel ratio something I can ask Eurocharged about and see if they could send me a new file to flash the car with and try, or should I try to dyno my car first to get some results?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63
In my stock E63 I can embarrass a stock GT mustang.. Either he is lying... Or something is horribly wrong with your car. Are you 100% sure it's just a GT?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by FromM3toAMG
In my stock E63 I can embarrass a stock GT mustang.. Either he is lying... Or something is horribly wrong with your car. Are you 100% sure it's just a GT?
Yes, 100% sure.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Does it have a 5.0 on the fender?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 AM

CLS55
5.0?
Yeah. And like I said, I raced one before (stock) back before my pulley/tune and I was waaaay out in front.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by AMG_Guy
I don't really feel like I am loosing a TON of power, but feel like it's definitely lacking (hence, not beatings the GT). I can speak from experience: about 2 months ago my supercharger pulley gave out (belt came off of it, ended up having it dealer replaced) and I did (of course) notice a HUGE loss of power when that happened. Should that be similar to the power loss I would experience with intercooler pump issues?
Yes, your car will feel like a complete dog because your blower won't engage.

I still say upgrade the pump and run him again.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I can speak from experience: about 2 months ago my supercharger pulley gave out (belt came off of it, ended up having it dealer replaced) and I did (of course) notice a HUGE loss of power when that happened. Should that be similar to the power loss I would experience with intercooler pump issues?
Did the dealer install the E/C pulley? Can you visually confirm that the pulley on the car is a E/C one?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for tips!

When I'm cruising down the road and I punch it, I don't get a black cloud behind me.

Is the air/fuel ratio something I can ask Eurocharged about and see if they could send me a new file to flash the car with and try, or should I try to dyno my car first to get some results?
If you aren't seeing a lot of black smoke I wouldn't bother contacting Eurocharged, the tune is most likely fine. It may just be your cooling isn't up to the task now with the extra boost and/or your pump has let go. What kind of weather are you in now, is it hot out? Even with upgraded heat exchager/pump/separated coolant system with 1.5 gallon tank, I can still lose power on hot days.

Certainly going to a dyno and seeing what the car does would be a good start, just be sure they also have a wideband o2 sensor hooked up to get your air/fuel ratio with the graph.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Did the dealer install the E/C pulley? Can you visually confirm that the pulley on the car is a E/C one?
I did have my MB dealer install the Eurocharged s/c pulley, and yes I did visually confirm it is the EC one. After they installed it, I re-flashed the car with a new file from Jerry @ Eurocharged.

Originally Posted by urbamworm
If you aren't seeing a lot of black smoke I wouldn't bother contacting Eurocharged, the tune is most likely fine. It may just be your cooling isn't up to the task now with the extra boost and/or your pump has let go. What kind of weather are you in now, is it hot out? Even with upgraded heat exchager/pump/separated coolant system with 1.5 gallon tank, I can still lose power on hot days.

Certainly going to a dyno and seeing what the car does would be a good start, just be sure they also have a wideband o2 sensor hooked up to get your air/fuel ratio with the graph.
It is pretty hot out, been 70-80 degree days with VERY HIGH humidity (70-80%).

Should I just go ahead and replace the IC Pump before dyno'ing?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have some spare cash laying around go for it, guess it can't hurt to have a new one in there but I would see what the car shows on the dyno. The graph is probably going to start falling in power around 5500-6000rpm range and your fuel will do the same going down to 10:1 as your intake air temps increase. It is hard to say if it is the pump acting up or just being warm out and on a stock intercooler/pump setup.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
yah def replace the IC pump and than dyno
Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah. And like I said, I raced one before (stock) back before my pulley/tune and I was waaaay out in front.
Do some datalogging...

The latest EuroCharged ECU software has datalogging built in. Hook up your laptop and the cable and go out driving for a while. The data you collect will tell you conclusively what is going on with your IATs and timing.

Jerry is making it REALLY easy for all of us to collect accurate data from the E55 now. It's a shame that more people aren't taking advantage of it.

-G
Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by GregMB
Do some datalogging...

The latest EuroCharged ECU software has datalogging built in. Hook up your laptop and the cable and go out driving for a while. The data you collect will tell you conclusively what is going on with your IATs and timing.

Jerry is making it REALLY easy for all of us to collect accurate data from the E55 now. It's a shame that more people aren't taking advantage of it.

-G
This was my plan! I've tried doing this a few times, but always get an "Unable to verify VIN" message. I tried loading in my ECU file first, running as administrator, still no luck. I emailed EC last night actually asking for some advice.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
I walked the 5.0s stock. something is wrong. ppl should focus on cooling mods first before u go putting a upper or lower pulley on. new IC pump slip cooling with trunk tank being best option or front engine bay tank, headers. the intercooler is the biggest problem being its right under the blower if u have tons of money A new bigger better intercooler
Old 05-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I wouldn't quite say a stock E can embarass a GT. But, with your mods, you should! I have a female friend that has one, an auto with ONLY CAI and mufflers and it went 12.69 on regular tires! We were both suprised!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
Look at this. Dyno runs done on the same day with same mods on Jerry's heartbreaker. Try to guess which run had the dead cooling system...

The car can still feel kinda fast down low, but it falls on its face hard up top.

For the record, we ended up getting 527whp that day and it was 94 degrees in the shop.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
Unless you are doing an ECU tune/flash to a stock car only, I think that a custom dyno tune should accompany any modification. I went slower initially with the box flash for the sc pulley/tune than I did with the ECU tune only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems! Can't beat a stock 2012 Mustang GT