Sponsored by:

What are the pros/cons of e55/63 amgs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
E39 M5, E71 X6M, W211 E63 AMG, W218 CLS63 AMG
What are the pros/cons of e55/63 amgs?

Hey guys.. ive been lurking on mbworld for a couple of years. I currently have an e39 M5 and was looking to get a DD to retire the beast with another beast

I've been looking at e60 m5s, e63 m6s and w211 e55 amgs. I know a whole lot when it comes to the m5/6s but nothing when it comes to the e55/63s.
In the m5 universe there are a couple of years you want to avoid because of various issues. I was wondering if the same applies to the e55/63s.

What are the pros and cons of certain years for the w211 amgs? Common problems to look for? I appreciate any input and thank you in advance!
Old 04-15-2014, 02:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG
I love the E39 M5. The 55K engines have a lot more potential and are much more mod-friendly. I think in terms of reliability, the 55K engines prevail over the 63NA's. You will face less issues with a 55K engine.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 e55 amg
^ + 1 agreed
Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
55K for the FTMW!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
2006 E55
I made the switch from an E39 M5 to E55 (I still miss the E39 M5, one of the best sedans ever built - it had luxury yet still so raw).

If you decide the E55 route, you won't regret making the switch.. E55s are simply amazing machines.

E55 - mod potential and generally have bulletproof motors/trannys.
E63 - newer technology/features, they're NA so you don't have boost related issues like heatsoak

You can't go wrong with either, just make sure you do your due diligence and find the right car, get a PPI, and enjoy!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonHan
Hey guys.. ive been lurking on mbworld for a couple of years.....

What are the pros and cons of certain years for the w211 amgs? Common problems to look for?

Lurking for a couple of YEARS and you haven't stumbled across this information before? REALLY?

-G
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
While I love my E55 and love the E55s savage, unrefined, raw, animistic character I fell in love with the E63 when I drove it. Believe me it's ALOT more refined, it feels better, tighter and just smoother. It's not a better car, the cars are just different. Honestly they may have the same chassis but they feel way different. Test drive them both and see what you like. The E63 isn't mod-unfriendly, it's just more expensive to mod. Personally I can't choose between them, they're both special in their own way. The E63 though can be had in MY09 which means most of the problems with the W211 were solved and worked out. It has alot better gear like,

1. The steering rack is faster/different

2. If you get an 09 you'll get the NTG 2.5 COMAND headunit which is a HUGE improvement

3. The facelift which took the car and made it too beautiful and just made it so complete that even in 2014 it looks like a brand new car while the pre-facelift has aged alot (you can do these changes but it is a bit of a hassle)

4. Better reliability as the facelift cars were named some of the most reliable cars in Europe which happens as they fix the kinks throughout the years.

5. The interior details like the black cluster, the nicer shift lever, on some models the steering wheel (CLK63 BS steering wheel).

6. Getting rid of SBC, the crappy braking system Mercedes scrapped after realizing how numb it feels and believe me the E63's brakes feel better, alot better.

Chances are the E63 will be a lower mileage and newer car and has all these amazing upgrades while being very nice to drive, very tight and fast and that SOUND!!!

Good luck, ultimately you're gonna have to try them both and see which you like better.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Prices are one big difference between the two All the years seem to be good cars but if I had to choose, I would stick with the 05-06 211 and 08 up 63. Like others have said, if you want to mod, then go 55 but if you just want 500 hp with maybe a loud exhaust, then go 63

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM

e55
e55 front brake rotors are ~$100 ea...the e63 ones are not.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63
E55 are more supported by the community. E63s are harder to DIY because of this. E63 parts are more expensive as well.

E55 are tuned for less $$
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 PM

thanks for the replies guys! The e63 has everything i'm looking for in my next beast.. but so does the e60 m5. I'm going to test drive an e63 and see if i like that as much as the e60.

Just for the hell of it.. here's a couple of shots of my e39:

and a video of a pre-tune dyno pull.. enjoy the sound
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
As cars have grown bigger over the years the E39 looks small on the road, both width and length and it's also less muscular but my GOD does that front look sinister and sexy. It's such a sexy car I miss mine alot, mostly in a sentimental way. My E55 is better in every way but I have so much memories with the E39 I like wide and large cars though with presence. Even the W211 disappoints me when it comes to width. It should have been 2-3 wider and maybe 3-4 inches longer, the rear section after the back door just doesn't match the flow of the front, it looks stubby sometimes. The new cars are wider (W212) though and a little longer. I didn't like the W212 when it first came out but as soon as I saw it in real life I saw how much THICKER it was than the W211. It's just a fatter car and therefore has more presence.

You won't be disappointed with a W211 E63, they are so sexy and the interior is just timeless, honestly this interior just doesn't feel dated. I actually prefer the back seats and the whole back compartment of the W211 to the W212. The E39's interior is dated now but the W211 simply isn't especially in the E63. It's such a well layed out and nice feeling interior. Good luck
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 AM

640i Gran Coupé
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Mercedes is going to give you a bit fewer maintenance issues than the BMW. And the E60 with that V10 was disappointing to me, a former E39 M5 owner. I missed the torque.

If you are all about handling and braking, the BMW is the car for you. If you like that push-you-back-in-the-seat torque that you get from the E39, you won't get it in the E60. In that case I'd vote for the Mercedes.

I considered the E63 when I was shopping but I cheaped-out and went for a basic car. I don't really need the power. OK, who really "needs" it, but we all want it!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I almost regret missing the E39 M5 step that so many others took before getting an E55/63. lol
Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I sold my E39 M5 to free up some space for my E55. The M5 was a great car but my AMG is AWESOME!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by beemer guy
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Mercedes is going to give you a bit fewer maintenance issues than the BMW. And the E60 with that V10 was disappointing to me, a former E39 M5 owner. I missed the torque.

If you are all about handling and braking, the BMW is the car for you. If you like that push-you-back-in-the-seat torque that you get from the E39, you won't get it in the E60. In that case I'd vote for the Mercedes.

I considered the E63 when I was shopping but I cheaped-out and went for a basic car. I don't really need the power. OK, who really "needs" it, but we all want it!
But that top end though in the e60 haha
It seems that the 08-09 e63s are less expensive than the 08 e60s so that's a plus. The two e63s I'm looking at are grossly overpriced though so if the sellers won't be reasonable with their price I'll probably end up in an e60. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W211 E63
First off, Beautiful E39!

Speaking from a stock E63 standpoint

Pros:
-Timeless look ( I have been asked by a older S class coupe mercedes owner if this was the "new e63" We chatted a bit, complimenting each others' cars and he was really surprised that it was a 6.2L engine. which brings me to the next point.
- The 6.2L engine. This truly is a muscle car in today's hybrid/electric, twin turbo world. It's a soon to be dinosaur with Mercedes switching out for twin turbo and smaller displacement engines. Sure the smaller motors are probably more efficient, more powerful, and quicker around the lap, but its the smiles I can't wipe off my face when starting the car on a cold morning. The smile from running up a gear and letting go of the gas to hear the exhaust pop, the endless wave of torque and that menacing gurgle when you shoot closer to the 7,200 rpm redline. All in a car that can be driven like an ordinary E350.
- With that the drivability. When you think 500 hp, you think tires screeching, loud idling cams, an aggressive stance. This car can do some of those things, but the real beauty is it doesn't have to. You can drive it like a regular v6 e class. The transmission shifts smoothly, there are 7 gears, and in comfort mode it just hums along, keeping all 500 horses on reserve. There really is a dual nature to the car, and it's your choice if you want to be Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Cons:
-Gas. Self explanatory, but I have been getting MPG in the single digits (not complaining, I knew what I signed up for)
-Oil. This car is constantly in a parched state of mind, and likes to drink it. Make sure to check on your oil levels weekly.
- Modablility. You are going to have to put in a lot more $$$ to get the same power gains a twin turbo, or supercharged car would give you (at a fraction of the cost).
- The transmission is good, but not great. The 5spd in E55 while a lot more raw, can hold more power (only becomes an issue if you wish to mod) What I mean by not great is that sometimes the car and me are not in synch. Whether it be a downshift too late, or an up shift too soon.
- the 6.2L engines have been documented from suffering from head bolt issues, that can lead to blown engines in the worst case scenario. Now personally, I don't know of one person with this issue, and have heard of many e63 owners with 90,000+ miles and still running strong, but again this is my personal opinion, it has been documented and has happened to a few unfortunate owners. I suggest you look into it for you own sake.

-No where to run. All this power and I only use a fraction of what it can do. Maybe a good thing on my part tho.

Please keep us updated when you do come to a decision.

Dr. Jekyll

Mr Hyde

Last edited by fila0220; 04-16-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by e500slr
While I love my E55 and love the E55s savage, unrefined, raw, animistic character I fell in love with the E63 when I drove it. Believe me it's ALOT more refined, it feels better, tighter and just smoother. It's not a better car, the cars are just different. Honestly they may have the same chassis but they feel way different. Test drive them both and see what you like. The E63 isn't mod-unfriendly, it's just more expensive to mod. Personally I can't choose between them, they're both special in their own way. The E63 though can be had in MY09 which means most of the problems with the W211 were solved and worked out. It has alot better gear like,

1. The steering rack is faster/different

2. If you get an 09 you'll get the NTG 2.5 COMAND headunit which is a HUGE improvement

3. The facelift which took the car and made it too beautiful and just made it so complete that even in 2014 it looks like a brand new car while the pre-facelift has aged alot (you can do these changes but it is a bit of a hassle)

4. Better reliability as the facelift cars were named some of the most reliable cars in Europe which happens as they fix the kinks throughout the years.

5. The interior details like the black cluster, the nicer shift lever, on some models the steering wheel (CLK63 BS steering wheel).

6. Getting rid of SBC, the crappy braking system Mercedes scrapped after realizing how numb it feels and believe me the E63's brakes feel better, alot better.

Chances are the E63 will be a lower mileage and newer car and has all these amazing upgrades while being very nice to drive, very tight and fast and that SOUND!!!

Good luck, ultimately you're gonna have to try them both and see which you like better.
I believe 06 E55 has the same steering rack as E63. If you get E55, get 06 and do the coilover conversion.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
I love the crap out of my car, but I have two big gripes with it. I've driven a rental Cobalt that had a better HVAC system. It's just weak in the a/c department. If you have been anywhere that is grossly hot and humid (i.e. Gulf Coast), you know what I'm talking about.

The $450 I spent upgrading my Camry's stereo has made it better sounding and more user friendly than the overly and needlessly-complex system in the E.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
I believe 06 E55 has the same steering rack as E63. If you get E55, get 06 and do the coilover conversion.
That's true, it comes with the CLS's better steering and the coilover conversion is a must. I haven't done it but honestly the ride of the Airmatic is overrated and I've heard nothing but good reviews on it. I think my Airmatic is a little worn because it's really nothing special. On some roads it feels stiff yet loose (don't worry it's not actually loose, maybe loose is the wrong word ). I'll do the swap soon because I'm really scared of the Airmatic dumping.

Originally Posted by beemer guy

Errmm no.... I've driven the V10 M5 and I'm not sure what you mean by missing the torque, the M5 had alot of torque but by no means a torque monster even when compared to the V10 M5. Yes the E63 and E55 have more low end but the V10 M5 has more low end than the E39. Sorry but the V10 M5 is in everyway superior to the E39, I love the E39 and I had one and miss it but the E60 is just incredible. I'm a Mercedes guy but the E60 is one of BMWs best machines. For low end torque though, for that thick, heavy, pulling feeling at low revs the E55 is king. I was going up a hill the other day and the car was at less than 1300rpms while accelerating and you can just feel that heavy torque pulling you it's intoxicating. I actually love it when the gearbox goes into a higher gear prematurely

Originally Posted by fila0220
First off, Beautiful E39!

Speaking from a stock E63 standpoint

Pros:
-Timeless look ( I have been asked by a older S class coupe mercedes owner if this was the "new e63" We chatted a bit, complimenting each others' cars and he was really surprised that it was a 6.2L engine. which brings me to the next point.
- The 6.2L engine. This truly is a muscle car in today's hybrid/electric, twin turbo world. It's a soon to be dinosaur with Mercedes switching out for twin turbo and smaller displacement engines. Sure the smaller motors are probably more efficient, more powerful, and quicker around the lap, but its the smiles I can't wipe off my face when starting the car on a cold morning. The smile from running up a gear and letting go of the gas to hear the exhaust pop, the endless wave of torque and that menacing gurgle when you shoot closer to the 7,200 rpm redline. All in a car that can be driven like an ordinary E350.
- With that the drivability. When you think 500 hp, you think tires screeching, loud idling cams, an aggressive stance. This car can do some of those things, but the real beauty is it doesn't have to. You can drive it like a regular v6 e class. The transmission shifts smoothly, there are 7 gears, and in comfort mode it just hums along, keeping all 500 horses on reserve. There really is a dual nature to the car, and it's your choice if you want to be Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

Cons:
-Gas. Self explanatory, but I have been getting MPG in the single digits (not complaining, I knew what I signed up for)
-Oil. This car is constantly in a parched state of mind, and likes to drink it. Make sure to check on your oil levels weekly.
- Modablility. You are going to have to put in a lot more $$$ to get the same power gains a twin turbo, or supercharged car would give you (at a fraction of the cost).
- The transmission is good, but not great. The 5spd in E55 while a lot more raw, can hold more power (only becomes an issue if you wish to mod) What I mean by not great is that sometimes the car and me are not in synch. Whether it be a downshift too late, or an up shift too soon.
- the 6.2L engines have been documented from suffering from head bolt issues, that can lead to blown engines in the worst case scenario. Now personally, I don't know of one person with this issue, and have heard of many e63 owners with 90,000+ miles and still running strong, but again this is my personal opinion, it has been documented and has happened to a few unfortunate owners. I suggest you look into it for you own sake.

-No where to run. All this power and I only use a fraction of what it can do. Maybe a good thing on my part tho.

Please keep us updated when you do come to a decision.

Dr. Jekyll

Mr Hyde
Off topic but what wheels are those?

Last edited by e500slr; 04-16-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry but the V10 M5 is in everyway superior to the E39
Except for the whole ... you know ... "bangled" thing.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W211 E63

Off topic but what wheels are those?
They are from Sonic Tuning. The previous owner put them on. I can't find them on the website, I would shoot them an email with a pic perhaps. They are 19's.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Guys what are the key differences between the 07 and 08? Apparently the 07 is the year to steer clear from.. But why?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by HeissRod
Except for the whole ... you know ... "bangled" thing.
I never understood this hate for the E60 M5's looks. Honestly I just can't see why it's ugly. To me it looks really good, really sharp and sexy and superior to the F10 even. I like the E39 in a sentimental, old friend kind of way but the E60 is much more aggressive, has alot more presence and is alot more sexy. It looks gorgeous to me, again I'm a Mercedes guy strictly but the E60 is stunning. Jeremy Clarkson called it ugly too and I've heard alot of others say it. Can someone pleas explain this to me?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never understood this hate for the E60 M5's looks. Honestly I just can't see why it's ugly. To me it looks really good, really sharp and sexy and superior to the F10 even. I like the E39 in a sentimental, old friend kind of way but the E60 is much more aggressive, has alot more presence and is alot more sexy. It looks gorgeous to me, again I'm a Mercedes guy strictly but the E60 is stunning. Jeremy Clarkson called it ugly too and I've heard alot of others say it. Can someone pleas explain this to me?
It was more of a joke than anything, but the E39 looks so much better, IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the pros/cons of e55/63 amgs?