Fuel Sender (driver's side) leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
E55 and several 928s
Fuel Sender (driver's side) leaking

So I went in and did some digging. Took the seat out, removed the cover plate, and voila -

Fuel Sender (driver's side) leaking-20140720_120022_zps06f6d028.jpg

Fuel in the sender area. Not on the outside of the neck. On the inner molding area.

Cleaned it up, and took some pics again for placement, but also wanted to find out where it was actually coming from. Seems like the FPR there that is two pieces. Not at the nipple.

Doesn't really matter. Its leaking.

I can do this myself. Not an issue. Don't like that its a recurring issue that MB is not dealing with. Don't like that it could happen again as the part is not fixed.

Bring to dealer. Tell them about how it was replaced previously ( I have VMI).

I tell them about the recall. I tell them about the NHTSA investigation.

I get a free rental, free "diagnosis" and a "Declined" on the invoice, which states that it IS leaking. Yep, I said that when I dropped it off. And I did say that I can fix this myself.

But when the email comes back from the SA saying that there will be no goodwill, but since I said "I could fix it myself" (Not the nicest tone) - I got a bit irritated.

So... I called MBUSA (Dropped off the C250 that had turbo lag like a Porsche 930 - Floor.....wait... decide BOOST)

They are very about getting back to me. Nothing yet of course. But we will see. In business, depending on what your leverage is and when you use it, No does not always mean No.

Thought I would update. If I change the part myself I will work on a custom shaped unit for both sides. Pumps and return port, and move the filter under the car and the FPR to the rail. The issue is the return and the vapor lines and how the computer senses that and how the system is expecting to deal with it.

Further out, pretty hypothetical, is a fuel tank (SS for ethanol) in the same place and shaped to be mounted properly. If I had somewhat more capital available, this would be a straight plan. Kill a couple birds with one stone.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i just went through the same thing just last week and after going and talking to the Service Mgr at the dealership he told me it is a one and done campaign - mine was looked at back in 2008 and since it was not leaking nothing was done. Fast forward 6 years later and boom my left one went out first - went back to the dealer to ask and try to get something and they told me the reference info above - initially my mechanic suggested that since only one was failing just do one - but with the new adapter 2 days later my passenger side went out and the car died while in motion.

So what i am saying here is if you are changing out one, spend the extra 550 and buy the 2nd one as it will fail quite quickly once you change out one. and make sure you get the new adapter.

lmi if this makes sense
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
The MB service interval is WAY too long. Replace more often--consider it the price of admission. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Originally Posted by MindBend
The MB service interval is WAY too long. Replace more often--consider it the price of admission. Good luck!

Yes. Fuel filters are a service item, and it should probably be about 40k.

My sender, with the filter, was replaced in 2010 and 40k ago.

So I'm due. But it's leaking and I am banging on all doors.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
No win situation to get good will at dealer unless you have spent $$$ already at the dealer. Thats what the head srv mgr told me when they denied my request.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
Originally Posted by novae500
No win situation to get good will at dealer unless you have spent $$$ already at the dealer. Thats what the head srv mgr told me when they denied my request.

Makes perfect sense. But I always try and remember the service advisors are salespeople. They are no more than the sales guy that attacks you when you walk in to a furniture store.

They work on commission. They are there to sell. I will speak to a manufacturer and maybe the main distributor when I have a problem with a product. Not the guy that wants to sell me more of it.

But it's the gate to go through so your point is still valid.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 and several 928s
I have never... Not once.... Every had a positive overall experience at any dealership.

Porsche. Honda. Acura. Chevy. And now MB.

What Elon Musk is doing with Tesla - I hope it destroys the very fabric of the dealership network in this country.

MBUSA did nothing either. 10% "as agreed by the dealer" discount.

Ah - but there is some revenge that I can take, though it may matter little. I have an email stating I will be getting a response card.