W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 AMG Newbie looking for input on first of many upgrades..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Silverado, Cadillac, GL450
E55 AMG Newbie looking for input on first of many upgrades..

I picked up an 05 E55 AMG that was owned by my Bro in-law who has every record known to man on the car. It has 70K and has never seen the snow. I had concerns initially but he had air suspension fixed, SC pulley replaced and the SBC is still under warranty till 06/30/15. The car is clean but I need to do some basic upgrades first and then maybe some power upgrades later. I would consider myself above average in the garage and I have a few questions that I would appreciate help with. I've searched the forum on a few upgrades but can't seem to pull up pictures (yes I'm a picture guy).

1) Do most of you change your own oil? If so I have read that some use a oil vacuum instead of draining the oil from the bottom. I've never done it this way, do people just not like pulling the shield and getting new copper washers? Also how long do people run between oil changes? I change all my own oil and run Amsoil (Preferred Customer)
Thanks
Mark
E55 AMG Newbie looking for input on first of many upgrades..-benz.jpg.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:14 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
What upgrades are you looking for input on? Read down and just saw the oil change question.

I think most of us just pull both drain plugs and drain the oil out. It is an easy job to do and BTW ,stick with the MB filters! It is good to change the copper washer from time to time anyway.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-28-2014, 03:35 PM

CLS55 AMG
Agreed, never use an oil vacuum with the 55k motors. There are two oil drain bolts in the oil pan, one facing the driver's side wheel, and the other in the very back of the oil pan. Both need to be removed in order to completely drain the old oil. I usually change my oil every 10k miles, and use new copper washers and drain bolts each time. I'd recommend you to use the factory recommended Mobil 1 0W-40, you can find it cheap at Walmart.

And congratulations on the E55. It looks really clean for 70k.

Last edited by Jawzey; 07-28-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts
'04 E55 (Gone but not forgotten), '13 C63 P31 (RIP), another '13 C63 PP
Yeah, I'd stick with the Mobil 1 0W-40, as is recommended by both AMG and Mercedes-Benz.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
The best mod is no mod at all.

Once you start it will never end.

Each mod will require another mod and on and on and on.

You have been warned......

G
Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 PM

Sorry, I ran out of characters and have to start a new thread.

2) After taking the car for a ride at night I've come to the conclusion that the headlights (Active) are AWEFUL. I typically run DDM Tuning HID upgrades so the MB lights are very week. I believe the bulbs are original and I would like to upgrade them all around. The fogs and running lights are yellow, which have to go. I'm open for suggestions but I don't know if I want to upgrade the lens package.

3) The Stereo is solid but I would like to add Satellite radio if possible. I've read about people adding Satellite by adding receiver in the trunk and cutting into the fiber. I would have no problem attempting this (I understand I might not get all the channels) but I hate switching stations when a commercial comes on. I can't seem to pull up pictures from old threads. Also it's unclear on what the part numbers are. My radio has the SAT button and I understand I would need a portable antenna.

4) K&N or not? Seems like a big debate? This car is big dollars to work on and I worry about the engine issues that could arrive from using a K&N. But I typically run them in my other cars. Is the gain (or any) worth the chance on this expensive engine?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
satellite

I use the xm Sirius app from the play store on my android plugged in to the aux port in the glove box and accessed through the aux function on the dash screen. I got a radio for the wife car which ran like $16 per month for access and for a total of $19 per month you can get "all access" package which let's you listen at home on your PC or walking around with your phone or plugged in to your car. It uses your data but cheaper than buying a satellite module antenna etc.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM

I believe since my car is prewired I would like to use the factory radio.

I need to get the lights/bulbs replaced since I believe they are factory lights.

Mark
Old 07-29-2014, 05:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by cabowabodude
I believe since my car is prewired I would like to use the factory radio.

I need to get the lights/bulbs replaced since I believe they are factory lights.

Mark
Pre-Wired ??? huh... think possibly you confused as the SAT button is for SAT-NAVIGATION and not SATELLITE RADIO... however I could be very wrong and the USA cars are differently configured...but I haven't heard of that one yet.