Sponsored by:

Cannot get into trunk with dead battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Cannot get into trunk with dead battery

Have been trying to get into boot for a few days now - it has been a real ordeal!

Initially I had to jump start the car to get home with the battery reporting only 11.5 volts. issued a couple of warning messages on the dash including "convenience functions only" and after I turned off "Stopping Distance Decreased - Start Car Now" and the equally cryptic "Brake Function Impaired - Start Car Now" both in danger red.

We checked it out and discovered the alternator had given up the ghost so jumped it again to park the car for repairs. As I drove it in I noticed some message about the boot being open but ignored it as the boot was definitely closed.

Anyway after parking the boot release wouldn't operate as convenience functions were disabled which isn't a problem normally since the mechanical key can be used to access the trunk only in this instance the key seemed to turn a little too easy in the boot and no matter how we turned and twisted while tugging on the handle refused to open.

So next step was to try and gain access to the trunk through the back seat - or so we thought. First obstacle was the rear headrests which were in the upright position and obstructed the removal of the seat. These were a pain in the proverbial to remove and took far longer than necessary but we got them off eventually only to discover that the only access to the trunk was through a couple of small openings. We did poke around aimlessly with a pole and wire thinking we had half a chance of accessing the trunk release before realizing we were poking in vain.

So now it's reached the point where I'm hoping someone with more knowledge might be able to provide a fresh perspective.

Last edited by TheTherapist; 09-08-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL65 AMG, 2014 E350, 2012 ML350 Bluetec
I had the same problem, but when you put the key into the latch you have to turn it (I can't remember which way though) to the point where it feels like it won't go any further and then suddenly it will release the trunk mechanically. I didn't mess with the handle though when I did it. Sorry if I can't help further!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
underneath the hood, back of SAM, you can hook up power+ and then ground to anything, than you can use the remote trunk open button on key
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Here is what you do, Hope it works:

Pull the passenger side carpet, underneath it (not sure if the E55 has it) you should see a thick red wire for Power. Get a car and some jumper cables and jump the car thru there. Terminal should be some where around there that would allow you to Tag the red + with the jumper cable and the - black cable place it on any clean and clear metal surface of the car. Hopefully this will get you access to opening the car.

I did the exact same procedure on my CL65 when the battery died, worked like a charm.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by thumper823
underneath the hood, back of SAM, you can hook up power+ and then ground to anything, than you can use the remote trunk open button on key
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed

Pull the passenger side carpet, underneath it (not sure if the E55 has it) you should see a thick red wire for Power. Get a car and some jumper cables and jump the car thru there. Terminal should be some where around there that would allow you to Tag the red + with the jumper cable and the - black cable place it on any clean and clear metal surface of the car. Hopefully this will get you access to opening the car.

I did the exact same procedure on my CL65 when the battery died, worked like a charm.
+1
Old 08-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by shardul
+1
+2 W211 rear trunks are the most difficult to get into. At one point I got it on the 50th try. Dead battery's SUCK! Also guys who get the 'red voltage message' please take note with caution and TEST YOUR BATTERIES immediately. OP said he got the DANGEROUS 'braking distance increased' message and your brakes are less than 5% of what they were before (happened to me!). Invest in a $25 battery tender so you can at least top off your battery every once in a while.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed

I have used this method several times as well.

I heard for cars that lock thier keys in the trunk; you have to pull off the rear trunk trim and go in that way. (per dealer).

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-27-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I have used this method several times as well.

I heard for cars that lock thier keys in the trunk; you have to pull off the rear trunk trim and go in that way. (per dealer).
Just jump from underneath the passenger carpet and then hit the trunk release in the driver side door... I do it all the time
Old 08-28-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by thumper823
Thanks guys I managed to gain entry to that damn elusive trunk eventually! Did attempt the "under the passenger side carpet" method but couldn't locate any red cable? Maybe since my E55 is an Australian RHD model things like that could be different? The connection under the hood worked a treat though.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:48 PM

2004 e500
Hi guys, just read all the post about jumping the battery. If I do that "jump under the carpet thing" will my car start at all? It's been dead for a couple if weeks now, charged the main battery already and both battery (including the aux) are good but yesterday I put I back on my e500 and still no power! My ignition key won't even turn so I can't take it to the dealer at all. If anyone has an advice please I would love to hear it... I don't know what to do anymore!
Thanks
Old 09-08-2014, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jaymausantos
Hi guys, just read all the post about jumping the battery. If I do that "jump under the carpet thing" will my car start at all? It's been dead for a couple if weeks now, charged the main battery already and both battery (including the aux) are good but yesterday I put I back on my e500 and still no power! My ignition key won't even turn so I can't take it to the dealer at all. If anyone has an advice please I would love to hear it... I don't know what to do anymore!
Thanks
Use the connection points under the hood. You will need to remove the wipers and the plastic panel that holds them. This is the only way that I managed to start the car. As you can see from my post above I did remove the carpet and everything underneath including a metal kickpad and various modules etc etc from both the passenger side and drivers side since my vehicle is right hand drive I thought maybe they have swapped sides with this 'apparent' red lead, but no, nothing! I did see the collection of brown earth leads but that was it and I searched thoroughly.

The only reliable way is as I say under the hood and under the wipers. You will get it started immediately this way. Do not stuff around for 4-5 days like I did trying absolutely everything and wasting many many hours. You WILL get in straight away if you follow these instructions.

Last edited by TheTherapist; 09-08-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:02 AM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TheTherapist
Use the connection points under the hood. You will need to remove the wipers and the plastic panel that holds them. This is the only way that I managed to start the car. As you can see from my post above I did remove the carpet and everything underneath including a metal kickpad and various modules etc etc from both the passenger side and drivers side since my vehicle is right hand drive I thought maybe they have swapped sides with this 'apparent' red lead, but no, nothing! I did see the collection of brown earth leads but that was it and I searched thoroughly.

The only reliable way is as I say under the hood and under the wipers. You will get it started immediately this way. Do not stuff around for 4-5 days like I did trying absolutely everything and wasting many many hours. You WILL get in straight away if you follow these instructions.
I'll take a picture of the wire in the passenger footwell. It really should be on the forum for everyone
Old 09-08-2014, 10:37 AM

2004 e500
Ok once I removed the wipers and plastic panel, I will see wires and that's were I'm gonna put the jumper cables to start the car?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Are you 100% sure you are using the mechanical key correctly.
Turning the key (I forget which way, try each), holding turned and then pulling the handle (while holding the key turned)
Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Here ya go. This is a power wire... hook the positive side of your jump box or second battery to this and the negative side to a ground. I usually use one of the passenger seat bolts because I have skinny extenders on my jump box leads, but you can use anything on the chassis.

Cannot get into trunk with dead battery-imag0339_1_zpscbcz8zqy.jpg
Old 09-08-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Are you 100% sure you are using the mechanical key correctly.
Turning the key (I forget which way, try each), holding turned and then pulling the handle (while holding the key turned)
I've had the battery disconnected may times for work and never had an issue gaining entry to the trunk with the mechanical key. No idea why it proved an obstacle on this occasion.

Ok once I removed the wipers and plastic panel, I will see wires and that's were I'm gonna put the jumper cables to start the car?
Yep as mentioned by thumper823 above you simply locate the SAM module and connect the positive terminal then ground to any appropriate surface and bam your good to go.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by rockthemullet
Here ya go. This is a power wire... hook the positive side of your jump box or second battery to this and the negative side to a ground. I usually use one of the passenger seat bolts because I have skinny extenders on my jump box leads, but you can use anything on the chassis.

Dayum! I was looking for the RED cable but there was no red cable to be found. If I'd have known that would have made pulling the floor up worthwhile and avoided the extra work under the hood. Cest la vie!

Cheers for going to the trouble of posting a pic Mullet.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TheTherapist
Dayum! I was looking for the RED cable but there was no red cable to be found. If I'd have known that would have made pulling the floor up worthwhile and avoided the extra work under the hood. Cest la vie!

Cheers for going to the trouble of posting a pic Mullet.
No worries, I would've been tricked as well. Took it on my lunch, no biggie... hopefully this becomes more common knowledge

Hey, at least you know for next time, no disassembly required (aside from the 3 10mm nuts on the metal plate)
Old 09-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
How many people have dead batteries and bad locks at the same time?
Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 AM

2004 e500
I'm just curious, will the car start if there's something wrong with the bcm? I'm thinking the bcm is the problem why there's no power at all. I was gonna get a new bcm already but I'm thinking of getting new battery first... Maybe the problem is just my old battery. So is it a good idea to get a new battery first which would be cheaper that getting a new bcm. And any suggestions on what battery I should get because the one they sell at the dealership cost too much. Thanks
Old 09-23-2014, 03:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Cayenne S
Old 09-23-2014, 08:30 AM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
I'm just curious, will the car start if there's something wrong with the bcm? I'm thinking the bcm is the problem why there's no power at all. I was gonna get a new bcm already but I'm thinking of getting new battery first... Maybe the problem is just my old battery. So is it a good idea to get a new battery first which would be cheaper that getting a new bcm. And any suggestions on what battery I should get because the one they sell at the dealership cost too much. Thanks
Test another battery first. Also, a battery does not need to be in the factory location to jump it from the passenger area. If you've already done this, then check all of the main fuses in the car... driver side of the trunk and engine bay near the cowl.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:48 AM

2004 e500
I checked the small fuses and they're all good but the big fuses I don't know how to check them and know if they are still good... How can you tell?im talking about them square ones with 3 metal thing on them
Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
I checked the small fuses and they're all good but the big fuses I don't know how to check them and know if they are still good... How can you tell?im talking about them square ones with 3 metal thing on them
Those are relays, not fuses. You could have anyone with STAR run diagnostics to check and see if it's the BCM. I wouldn't replace anything expensive without narrowing down the root cause first
Old 09-23-2014, 09:01 PM

2004 e500
That's my problem, I can't start the car even with a fresh re charged battery. Can I remove the bcm and bring it to a shop so they can run the diagnostics?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cannot get into trunk with dead battery