Sponsored by:

Does anyone have any regrets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 05:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Does anyone have any regrets?

Hey all, long time stalker first time poster. Owning an AMG E55 has been a long held 'dream' and I now find myself in a position to buy one. I am now finding myself getting cold feet. I have held the car in such high regard I don't wish to be disappointed now with ownership. I'm wondering if any one here has had the same issues to only had them exacerbated upon ownership or if the concerned disappeared upon getting the keys? I'm mostly concerned about build quality and interior quality over time. If a comparison could be made to US made cars (or for any Aussies here Ford/ FPV or Holden/HSV) that would be appreciated!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 11 second truck, ducati streetfighter 1098
Welcome, Ill share my experience quick with you. I have loved the e55 for a long time as well as you. I bought mine without even driving it, hell I didn't even see it in person. it was everything I wanted it to be! Now going a year and a half later, if I were to sell any of my cars it would be that. I still love it, and drive it the most of anything I have but the seats start to hurt my back after an hour. it just seems to suck money out of your pocket and I do everything myself. driving it anywhere new gives me anxiety, I wont take it on any road trips. fit and finish is top notch but in my opinion too many things to go wrong, and they do.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:44 AM

2014 E63 S AMG
I say any hi-performance car takes a fair amount of maintenance to continue to perform. I just sold an 2003 e39 M5 as a daily driver. It was loaded!! And there was always something to repair 2 or 3 times a year. You can defer maintenance, but what a waste to drive a low performing/hi-performance car. If you seek no financial surprises, perhaps you can add a repair warranty into the cost to the car.

Best of luck with your decision. Two years ago I was taken for a spin in e55 and was blown away at the fit, finish and torque.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
W211 E55 2003
I also fullfilled my long time dream this past february when i got my E55.. the first w211 chassis cars start to have all kind of buzzing and ratling noises coming in the interior as they are getting old now , especially panoramic roof makes a "knocking" and rattling noise when closed. Also the plastic on the seats and center console make some noise but overall no biggies for me. And like all above allredy said the maintanance is essential and somewhat costly. Basicly you need to be able to get around atleast with the "basics" on your own, othervise you'll end up bankrupted. All and all i've been very happy with the car even all the maintanance has cost me over well over 2000 euros at this point. Just be ready for the maintance and youll be fine and love the car !
Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63S, 2018 GLC 300
The E55 is a design that will never be out of style IMO. It's one of those cars that will always look great. I bought my car with 61k miles on it for $23k. The way I see it is I can turn a wrench and since I can't afford the car when new this is the best way to own a car I have always wanted (like yourself). My car has no rattles, no squeaks and the materials and finish on everything is like new.

The key is to spend time looking for the right car that has been garaged and with service records. I accept the fact my E55 may not be as reliable as my Nissan Maxima. I am OK with that because my Nissan Maxima has no character, feels like an automotive appliance and brings little joy of ownership. Every time I drive the E55 I feel the personality of that car and I love it!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
My 2004 e55 is approaching 100k miles. The interior is nearly mint. People are blown away at how new it looks. I've had my fair share of repairs though.

At this point, e55 parts are cheap enough that it's not an expensive performance car to maintain. Shocks are cheap now, transmissions, blowers too. Dealer repairs are expensive.

My 2006 e320 has 123,000 miles and is running strong.

I sold my 2006 e500 with 115k miles and it too was perfect.

None of the cars had one squeak or rattle in 335,000 total miles. Prior to this, I had an Infiniti M45 - that thing felt old at 40k miles. Had a maxima before that and got rid of it at 30,000. My w211s all feel more solid, have less road noise and drive better than the new C-class loaners I get from the dealer.

I don't think there is a better bargain out there than an e55 as a super sedan. Do it.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by schino
I still love it, and drive it the most of anything I have but the seats start to hurt my back after an hour. it just seems to suck money out of your pocket and I do everything myself. driving it anywhere new gives me anxiety, I wont take it on any road trips. fit and finish is top notch but in my opinion too many things to go wrong, and they do.
See, I love the seats. I rebuilt the motor, ran it for 20min, and took it on a 1600 mile road trip. Getting out of the car every few hours I felt like I had been in there for 20min. For me, the CTSV seats are awful, but I've heard others like them.. it's a tough call

Originally Posted by Sugar_Mouth
Every time I drive the E55 I feel the personality of that car and I love it!
This is probably what keeps me interested in the car. I've had a lot, but none like the E55
Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Funny you mention cold feet. I recently put my car up for sale, and I have been back and forth 100 times. It is SO HARD TO DO. I Love the car. I have seen many people leave this platform only to come back. From P car to CTS.. E63.. The E55 keeps them coming back.

It really is SO hard to give one up.

So is getting one regrettable: NO.

Look at the community here, they are maniacs.

Would you have a hard time giving this up????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-Base-Sedan-4-Door-2004-mercedes-benz-e-55-amg-5-5-l-supercharged-fantastic-/181525856084?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a43c8bf54&item=181525856084&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
I will likely be buried in my E55...

But no, really.

There's a reason this car still turns heads and commands respect, almost twelve years since it's W211 release.

As maintenance goes, this car is an MMA fighter. And they don't run on McDonalds, so neither should your E55.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I regret buying when the market was tanking.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 CL600 2005 745Li
Originally Posted by Sugar_Mouth
The way I see it is I can turn a wrench and since I can't afford the car when new this is the best way to own a car I have always wanted (like yourself). My car has no rattles, no squeaks and the materials and finish on everything is like new.

The key is to spend time looking for the right car that has been garaged and with service records. I accept the fact my E55 may not be as reliable as my Nissan Maxima. I am OK with that because my Nissan Maxima has no character, feels like an automotive appliance and brings little joy of ownership. Every time I drive the E55 I feel the personality of that car and I love it!
This + buy an 2005 - 2006
Old 09-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I had pretty much bought mine site unseen... when I drove it home from NY(about 3.5 hours of driving) I had a hard time getting comfortable, the car felt sloppy on the road and the interior was cleaned with some greasey crap that was on my hands and while driving it home, I got stuck in some inclement weather(light snow). I was pretty much in full regret mode.

The next day I fiddled with seating positions till I got the seat where I liked it, I cleaned the interior(with my products, to my liking), played with suspension settings... then got in the car and went for a drive in cold crisp december air... and laid my first set of stripes. Havent looked back since. In fact, the more I have the car and spend time modding it... the more I fall in love with it
Old 09-17-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by sexyxe
Hey all, long time stalker first time poster. Owning an AMG E55 has been a long held 'dream' and I now find myself in a position to buy one. I am now finding myself getting cold feet. I have held the car in such high regard I don't wish to be disappointed now with ownership. I'm wondering if any one here has had the same issues to only had them exacerbated upon ownership or if the concerned disappeared upon getting the keys? I'm mostly concerned about build quality and interior quality over time. If a comparison could be made to US made cars (or for any Aussies here Ford/ FPV or Holden/HSV) that would be appreciated!
The interior of the AMG sucks *****. Seriously, the navi screen blows, 'glove box' issues, cup holders go bad every week ($100 each), ash trays in the rear break apart after a couple open/close. Only good things I like about it, the suede headliner (everyones like WAAHHH??), my dynamic seats, and keyless go shifter.

Now, I bought the car to drive daily and if needed pick up passengers in the rear. It gets my *** EVERYTIME when I peel out of my block like an excited 3rd grader. The exhilaration you feel punching the gas pedal passing 100+ and then realizing that this **** doesn't stop accelerating and you might just kill yourself is hard to match. (be safe!)

Just stay away from the '03s. Honestly once you get in and test drive one you will not regret it. This car does what it is made for, drive 4 pass FAST from a to b. Now does it cost a lot to drive around, YES! Gas is super expensive here in CA, but aside from that any maintenance the car needed I did it myself. 1 year owner, 18k put on the car; spent about 1k on fluids/maintenance(parts) when I got the car, did all the work myself. Car needs about another $800 worth of parts (brakes,mounts) and I will do the work again. I think one of my rear struts might be going out, but I have yet to have any issues with airmatic. My car did not have a drop of oil ANYWHERE under the engine,trans, or diff. The best thing is to understand that people abuse these cars so if you see oil pooled up, grease underneath the bottom you should really be aware of that. Some prices for these cars are border line insane with the amount of issues that they have. Let's not forget the used parts market for E55 is slim to none and parts dry up quick, then you're spending top dollar for new parts which cost A LOT!

Do I regret it? **** NO!

http://distilleryvesper8-0.ak.instag...1f9cad_101.mp4

Last edited by biggking; 09-17-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Cant wait to here crap from this long post.

OK here goes. Have owned built, raced ,fabricated many cars. I am very picky on how they drive and am aware of many things when driving a car. I looked for almost 2 years before I bit the bullet and bought one from Florida sight unseen. I was thrilled when this car rolled off the trailer. Than I drove it home. First impressions ...1 - my 98 crown Victoria with 190,000 miles is a smoother. quieter engine on every single level...hands down. 2-The transmission will out shift and be more consistant any day its being driven. 3-The amount of stuff that I have experienced with this $90,000 dollar car is insane. I THOUGHT I was buying something far beyond what I had before do to the cost of the car. Not true: its just an EXPENSIVE car!!It actually scared me to drive it long distances with all the quirks it had.. I then researched the crap out of it ...and I mean above and beyond and slowly came to realize...its just how these cars are. So I will fix the problems before they happen. Air suspension was ripped out , sold and coil overs installed.. no more issues EVER. Transmission ...I pulled that replaced all clutches and seals, tightened it up and reprogramed the TCU....no more issues. Brakes...working with a company to fix the faults with these crazy units, although no problems yet.Now the GREAT. What a fantastic car. It looks like no other around, people love it. Its a rocket and is getting faster. I love every waking moment driving it and hope to keep it FOREVER. I even sold my road race Mustang after 20 years to invest into what I hope to be a 200+mph contender at the East Coast Timing ***. time trials at Loring Air Force base in Maine. Again its a different car than the norm , Its special and must be treated like it and you always have to look for cheaper prices on everything for this car... and cheaper is alway's out there. But also if I could not do all the work I would be buried in it. "Its not just a car its a life style"...LOL I love saying that..Have fun!!!

Last edited by SICAMG; 09-17-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Best car I've driven, love it everyday like it was my first day with it
Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
04 E55
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I realise that owning this car wont be the cheapest thing I've had - however previous experience with two other 500hp modded cars I hope has set me up for not too big of a change. The car I am looking at is
http://carsales.mobi/cars/details/2005-mercedes-benz-e55-amg-w211/SSE-AD-2989182

I'm in contact with the owner and have proof of receipts and work done. I would prefer the modded car over a non modded as it will save me burning the money myself.

Thanks again
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 E63AMG
I have to agree with Berti...hands down best car i've ever driven. Loved it from the first moment driven. Many smiles many miles...I have taken it on many road trips and have enjoyed every aspect of driving and owning the car. It's @ 115K and i would take it on a road trip tomorrow without hesitation.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55
DO NOT spend 46k on that car. just my opinion but they can be had for a LOT less. i spent three yrs looking for my E55 and will never get rid of this car i LOVE it with ever inch of my soul. ive had a few issues since i bought it in feb of this yr but nothing that has swayed my opinion of this beast of a sedan. you will love whatever e55 you pick but that 46k is just way to high esp with that many miles. i bought my 06 with 72k on the odometer and it was bone stock for $19,500. keep looking but id say buy one for sure.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 PM

2005 E55
Love mine, been perfect!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
it will cost you but its worth it. my advice is to buy one that's in great condition. spend the $ and don't buy a piece of crap and try to fix it up.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 PM

2006 E55
I regret selling mine.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005- E55, 2007 GL450, 94 B3000
I regret that I did not buy one sooner! I see, and drive a lot of vehicles on a daily basis, but the 55 cars always make me happy! unless they are not taken care of. I have had mine for a year now, and it is my daily driver. I think that I will keep this car forever. It is very mod friendly, but still reliable. Maintenance is the key to happy ownership. As long as you know what you are getting into then you will be alright.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG
I love all the comments on this site, it is far and away the best car I have driven! I love everything about this beast. I have driven many cars, had the pleasure of owning many performance autos and many company cars that I have driven like rental cars but nothing compares to this car! You will not regret it, I also bought mine sight unseen at a great price and have paid next to nothing other than regular maintenance, very reasonable. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I drive it!!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:46 PM

CTS-V 2013 Wagon
Originally Posted by sexyxe
I'm wondering if any one here has had the same issues to only had them exacerbated upon ownership or if the concerned disappeared upon getting the keys? I'm mostly concerned about build quality and interior quality over time. If a comparison could be made to US made cars (or for any Aussies here Ford/ FPV or Holden/HSV) that would be appreciated!
The power is intoxicating. The car is very stylish and looks fantastic. The interior is very nice, BUT....I'm glad it's gone. Nothing worse than easing the car around because your worried about another large repair bill. Kind of took the fun out of it for ME.
My favorite car was an alabaster white S55 with tan interior. Car was freaking gorgeous. Then came the ball joints squeaking when I pulled out of my driveway on the way to a 1,200 mile round trip. Turned around, parked it in the garage and took the wife's car on that trip. Pretty disappointing. Had to have it towed to the dealer when the suspension line burst. $2,500 later....the joy started to fade. Maintenance is crazy expensive but don't do it and you will pay a lot more later. As the hits kept coming I started thinking of other cars.
Bought an E55 which was very nice. Drove it about 8,000 miles but the love affair was waining. Sold it and bought another. Same thing with the earlier one. I was so worried about breaking it.
And the gas tank / sender issues are ridiculous.
My experience wasn't bad though. I probably only spent $10,000 in repairs over 3 years. Probably about average is suspect.
If it's a dream of yours, I say go for it! They are fun cars and if you can work on it yourself repairs and maintenance are palatable.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:41 PM

E55 AMG
hey man 5 years ago when i was 15 years old i saw a silver e55 at a stop light and my jaw dropped... i fell in love with it instantly because i had never seen an E AMG before... never did i think that i would be able to buy that silver e55 5 years later... i drove all the way from houston texas to florida to pick mine up and drive it back. I am in love with this car. It has all the power you need. and with an e63 front will look modern for many years to come. as everyone has said maintenance isnt cheap on these cars. and its potential for more power is amazing...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have any regrets?