Sponsored by:

Strange radiator hose leak.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Strange radiator hose leak.

I noticed my car was leaving little puddles behind on my garage floor and became alarmed when I saw puddles in peoples driveways, so I whipped off the bottom plates and had a look underneath. I battled to find the leak and had to get the car up to temp to finally find it:

This pipe runs from the bottom of the top reservoir and into the bottom of the main radiator (Please bear in mind that my car is right hand drive). Over 11 years this hose had rubbed against the metal end crimp of an oil cooler hose and it gradually wore a hole in the side of it. With the help of a good mate we drained the system completely, flushed it and removed the offending part - which put up a hell of a fight as we were limited to my garage floor and jack stands. We had to pull the IC pump out for work space and luckily I had already removed my secondary air injection pump, or that would have had to come out too. I was amazed to see the extent of the damage and was very pleased with my new AMG hose when I found out it was made out of aluminium. It took about 30 minutes to re-install and about 10 litres of fluid to top up in stages. Everything is back to normal and I think that the $150.00 I paid for the OE hose was a bargain. I just wanted to send a massive thanks to my mate Craig for all his help today, because without him I would still be swearing and under my car all weekend.
Ps. this hose is called a: Pipe funnel filling hose, part # MA211 500 23 72.