W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Happenings with an E55

Old 09-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 1964 Cadillac El Dorado
Strange Happenings with an E55

Hey Guys, Long story short, we got a couple of weird ones here.

#1. My buddy picked up an E55 about a year ago. His is a 2005. He basically just told me that his headlights won't shut off. Turns out, as soon as the engine starts, the lights are on. Always on. No matter which way you turn the switch. When you shut off the car, they go off like normal. I was going to swap switches with him and see what happens, but wanted to check here 1st. Any ideas? He just installed all new interior LEDs (error free), but I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention since it is not stock. Thanx.

#2. Same E55, when the A/C is on, there are 2 small circles that form on the passenger side lower windshield. These are freezing and just create some frosty condensation marks on the windshield. I'm assuming these are from under the dash, but wondering if there is away to divert them or see how they are pointed so I can turn them or whatever. I compared A/Cs as best as I could, and it seems that we are both around the same temp, he just gets these 2 cold spots, where mine doesn't. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
1. Seems like in the instrument cluster the headlights are set to "constant".

2. Seems like the defroster vent on that side is bleeding which means it's not fully closing.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
65 Chevelle Wagon w/ C5 frame, 08 ML63, 04 S600, 04 E55,(sold) 00 ML55,(sold) 98 C43-55K Swap
#1-exactly. Set to constant. DRL function is turned on.

#2- there are so many variables it's hard to say. There are many settings you can do with a "star" that you can't see or adjust with the control panel. Even if both systems are functioning correctly the may not operate the same. You can set it for hotter countries, alter read out temp vs actual temp and many more. If a previous owner had some complaints about something some settings may of been changed.

Or a control flap stop or arm could be broken, different amounts of a/c charge etc.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Garagisti
Hey Guys, Long story short, we got a couple of weird ones here.

#1. My buddy picked up an E55 about a year ago. His is a 2005. He basically just told me that his headlights won't shut off. Turns out, as soon as the engine starts, the lights are on. Always on. No matter which way you turn the switch. When you shut off the car, they go off like normal. I was going to swap switches with him and see what happens, but wanted to check here 1st. Any ideas? He just installed all new interior LEDs (error free), but I don't think that has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention since it is not stock. Thanx.

The car is probably in ROW setting. It'll keep the headlights ON no matter what you do. Fog lights, however, would only turn on when you use the switch.

I know this due to the fact that my car is in ROW setting as well and the headlights stay on. There is a setting which would allow you to turn the headlights off using cluster but afair NA cars are suppose to have headlights on all the time.

#2. Same E55, when the A/C is on, there are 2 small circles that form on the passenger side lower windshield. These are freezing and just create some frosty condensation marks on the windshield. I'm assuming these are from under the dash, but wondering if there is away to divert them or see how they are pointed so I can turn them or whatever. I compared A/Cs as best as I could, and it seems that we are both around the same temp, he just gets these 2 cold spots, where mine doesn't. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.
I do not know the second point .
Old 09-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
06 E55(SOLD), 03 E500(SOLD)
Originally Posted by Garagisti

Had this same issue with my E500. In my case, it was caused by broken servo stops on the heater case.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 1964 Cadillac El Dorado
Hey Guys,
Well, we did the #1 and that's exactly what it was. Headlights were on Constant, so we fixed that.

We will be diving into the A/C issue as soon as we can get our hands on a Star Tester. He tried putting his hand down the dash vent to see if there is anything, but fat fingers don't get very far. I think he might stop by later today so maybe I can take a peak down there. Thanx for all the help so far.