W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake installed! and slight fail...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Cold air intake installed! and slight fail...

Finally received and installed the Needswing CAI today.

Big thanks to needswings for delivering such a beautiful product, and a Big thanks to the boys at VAG motorsport in Montreal for the install. The aesthetics of the engine are finally what they should be and what a beautiful whine she now makes.

Couple questions, my indy informed me that removing the hood insulation might cause the paint to discolour. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, returning home, I noticed the car bucking a little when in traffic. I stop at a red light, the dash lit up and the car turns off. Was rush hour so I prayed it would turn back on. Thank god it did.

Any thoughts of what could have caused a complete shut down?
Old 11-27-2014, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Any cel light up? If so read the code. Could be while installing it they accidentally popped out the metal vacuum line.

On the good insulator, it would be ok, I have mine off and live in a hot climate and paint is fine
Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
I have a black car and live in Arizona. I removed the insulation under the hood over a year ago with no problems at all. I have driven it through ambient air temps as high as 117 degrees.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:30 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by A.M.
Finally received and installed the Needswing CAI today.

Big thanks to needswings for delivering such a beautiful product, and a Big thanks to the boys at VAG motorsport in Montreal for the install. The aesthetics of the engine are finally what they should be and what a beautiful whine she now makes.

Couple questions, my indy informed me that removing the hood insulation might cause the paint to discolour. Anyone have experience with this?

Also, returning home, I noticed the car bucking a little when in traffic. I stop at a red light, the dash lit up and the car turns off. Was rush hour so I prayed it would turn back on. Thank god it did.

Any thoughts of what could have caused a complete shut down?
You have more details on the shutdown? Did it start back up and what CEL are you showing? Run ok now? Crank sensor went out maybe?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-28-2014, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Maybe they disturbed TB connection ?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
i have my hood insulation removed, dont see it getting hot enough for any damage, i installed my needswings intake only a couple weeks ago. i did it in my garage, took less then an hour, have no problem, and cant see what a person who is paid to work on cars for a living could screw up installing it.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
I've had mine off since I took ownership of the car... It's perfect

As far as your intake, check around the throttle body make sure everything is as it should be
Old 11-29-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Thank you for the replies.

Yes the car started back up fine, driven 100 km since and smooth as can be.

No check engine, had an issue with a vacuum hose coming out any time I put my foot on the gas. Put a clamp and have had no issues since.

I will be hooking it up next week to see what codes came up.

Report back then! Thank you