Sponsored by:

M156 supercharging questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 12:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63 Amg, Heavily modified 1988 Jeep Comanche
M156 supercharging questions

Im wondering how well the m156 takes to being blown. I do undestand that it will increase wear and tear on the motor but im curious as to the luck other members have had. My biggest qustion is duribility, has anyone grenaded an m156 with too much boost? What type of majior issues come to the surface? I am planing on removing the engine and giving it a through once over, rings, bearings, head studs, m159 buckets, and anything else thats questionable when it gets a blower. What kind of longevity can i expect? Will i want to take it out back and shoot it?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by Chomanche
Im wondering how well the m156 takes to being blown. I do undestand that it will increase wear and tear on the motor but im curious as to the luck other members have had. My biggest qustion is duribility, has anyone grenaded an m156
Brother, you need to calm down We can work this out, no need to go blowing things Whatever beef you have with this engine doesn't mean you need to grenade it. Tell us where you are so we can help you. It seems like you have had a bad day but don't go do something you'll regret Let us talk to the engine, we need proof of life before we continue to negotiate...

I'm just ****ing with you. Talk to JRCart, he has the most powerful M156 in the world, I'm guessing he probably knows a thing or 2 about blown M156s

Last edited by e500slr; 11-28-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:49 AM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
its a strong engine. Weistec has a killer supercharger for the M156 Engine

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 11-28-2014, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Check out the C63 page, lots of guys there have supercharged theirs with no issues.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Im wondering how well the m156 takes to being blown. I do undestand that it will increase wear and tear on the motor but im curious as to the luck other members have had. My biggest qustion is duribility, has anyone grenaded an m156 with too much boost? What type of majior issues come to the surface? I am planing on removing the engine and giving it a through once over, rings, bearings, head studs, m159 buckets, and anything else thats questionable when it gets a blower. What kind of longevity can i expect? Will i want to take it out back and shoot it?
Just drop the compression, and the reliability and HP will improve with FI.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Just drop the compression, and the reliability and HP will improve with FI.
Does any one sell a thicker head gasket? It would seem weistec is the only real source of aftermarket internals? Plus its difficult to swallow when you can get a detroit 6-71 supercharger for 3k. How ridiculous would that be. Cut a big old hole in the hood, maybe even convert to some holly four barrels, lol. The weistec kit does seem to cover every base though. But plan is limited slip, long tube headers, engine/trans refresh, supercharger. I have to drop my car off next week for hail damage and re paint. Prolly wont bring it out till spring as winter is just begining in Colorado.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
Sounds like you've got it all figured out dude, good luck with it
Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Does any one sell a thicker head gasket? It would seem weistec is the only real source of aftermarket internals? Plus its difficult to swallow when you can get a detroit 6-71 supercharger for 3k. How ridiculous would that be. Cut a big old hole in the hood, maybe even convert to some holly four barrels, lol. The weistec kit does seem to cover every base though. But plan is limited slip, long tube headers, engine/trans refresh, supercharger. I have to drop my car off next week for hail damage and re paint. Prolly wont bring it out till spring as winter is just begining in Colorado.
I'll be honest with you, it's not worth building the motor with Weistec internals unless you're planning on getting massive numbers. JRCart is making 1000whp in his CLK63 Black Series. It's the fastest Mercedes on the planet and he spent alot but he needed those parts for that much power. How much is an M156 long block where you are? If you spend money on a built M156 and don't need to then you're just wasting money IMO. I'm not suggesting that you blow several motors and just continue to swap blocks but those motors can take alot on the stock block. I think you should focus on the head bolts and the transmission though.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by e500slr
I'll be honest with you, it's not worth building the motor with Weistec internals unless you're planning on getting massive numbers. JRCart is making 1000whp in his CLK63 Black Series. It's the fastest Mercedes on the planet and he spent alot but he needed those parts for that much power. How much is an M156 long block where you are? If you spend money on a built M156 and don't need to then you're just wasting money IMO. I'm not suggesting that you blow several motors and just continue to swap blocks but those motors can take alot on the stock block. I think you should focus on the head bolts and the transmission though.
Honestly blowing up the engine is the last thing i want to do. If i could prevent any failures from the added stress beforehand that would be great. It might sound insane but i truly do belive the best of both worlds can be had with it. 1000whp would be awsome, but 600-700whp would be pretty cool too. Plus if it was still able to cruise long distance i would never want another car. At what point does reliability go out the window.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Honestly blowing up the engine is the last thing i want to do. If i could prevent any failures from the added stress beforehand that would be great. It might sound insane but i truly do belive the best of both worlds can be had with it. 1000whp would be awsome, but 600-700whp would be pretty cool too. Plus if it was still able to cruise long distance i would never want another car. At what point does reliability go out the window.
You're still not giving us context. Ho much do you want to spend. You say 1000whp "would be awesome" but 600-700whp "would be cool to". That's not really a clear goal. Those 2 figures are extremely far apart. For 1000whp you would have 2 take most of the Weistec catalog. You also have to include labor in your costs. For 1000whp you'll need race heads, LSD, bulletproof transmission, forged pistons......etc.

Look at how much the forged pistons are......they cost around as much as you can get an M156 motor in the US. That's without labor. They're $6089. So you have to decide how much you want to spend. The difference between 600-700whp and 1000whp is ALOT of money. I think JRCart has spent 100k+ so far on his CLK63 Black Series It's full of custom parts like CF driveshaft and other drool-worthy parts
Old 12-02-2014, 09:08 PM

100k is a bit out of my range. Im already planing on starting from the back forward. Lsd, long tube headers, trans work, engine refresh and supercharger in that order. Plus it would be awsome to see how the car progresses. Im not to worried about labor, im pretty crafty and a certified benz tech. Really it would seem 20k could get the job done, with the supercharger kit being the most expencive piece of the puzzle. As far as i can tell it would be most effective to just skip the ecu tune and put that money toward the supercharger kit. Im just curious if anyone has slapped one of these kits on and driven 60k miles. What psi were you running? How often did you call a tow truck? I bought this car cause i always knew it was the one for me. I know theres a big difference between 600 to 1000 hp but i wanna be able to pick my kids up from school and see what kind of numbers she'll post at 5800 feet above sea level.