Kponti's FSP video

Old 12-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Kponti's FSP video

Did some STAR work on Kponti's car.
Here is a video of the FSP

Last edited by shardul; 12-20-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
private youtube video
Old 12-20-2014, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
thanks! fixed
Old 12-20-2014, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Thanks Shardul for the Star hookup. Anyone who does this mod and does not reset adaptations and initialization with Star is leaving a lot on the table in terms of smoother daily driving.
What I did not know was that the BWK wraps tighter as the rpm's climb! Very cool!
Old 12-21-2014, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
That's the factory tensioner that tightens as RPMs climb, not the wrap kit.

However, the wrap kit works pretty good at grabbing more surface area on the s/c pulley.

Last edited by HeissRod; 12-21-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
looks great.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by HeissRod
That's the factory tensioner that tightens as RPMs climb, not the wrap kit.

However, the wrap kit works pretty good at grabbing more surface area on the s/c pulley.
Actually when I did my motor mounts some time back and had a friend rev the engine, I did not see the same tensioner doing that. It simply stayed put when the engine was reved. Now yesterday with the BWK, it is tightening as engine rpm climbs

So yes I do mean the BWK contributing to it.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by kponti
Actually when I did my motor mounts some time back and had a friend rev the engine, I did not see the same tensioner doing that. It simply stayed put when the engine was reved. Now yesterday with the BWK, it is tightening as engine rpm climbs

Bud, first you have to understand how these cars and components work to begin with before making claims like "before it didn't do it and now with the BWK it does." And stating "that the tensioner tightens as you rev" is also wrong.

I'm just trying to clear up misinformation so people don't put stock into this information, and I'm really not attempting to be rude.

First point, you say before when it was revved up while doing engine mounts your didn't notice it. Well was that before the FSP? I'm guessing it was and the reason it didn't appear to be as the tensioner was tightening is because the supercharger wasn't engaged just free revving and no load on the SC belt and pulleys.

Second the tensioner is a basic mechanical mechanism that just applies a spring tension / load, It doesn't change. So why it appears to be tightening is because your car with the FSP is underload on the belt and causing it slacking on the back side letting the pulley travel further and appear to be tighter.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
it would be nice to have a tensioner that does not bounce as it may during shifts.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Thanks Shardul for the Star hookup. Anyone who does this mod and does not reset adaptations and initialization with Star is leaving a lot on the table in terms of smoother daily driving.
Are you referring to the FSP? what exactly was done with star, and was this to alleviate your issues (power dip after shift)?
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by 99lightning
it would be nice to have a tensioner that does not bounce as it may during shifts.
That's one angle I've thought about and wondered.... I hope it doesn't too much lol
Old 12-21-2014, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by uraberg
Are you referring to the FSP? what exactly was done with star, and was this to alleviate your issues (power dip after shift)?
Didn't eliminate the dip after shifting but the car woke up and the occasional lean blip on tip in and light acceleration is gone. Idle is much smoother too.
I did what Tony tells you to do with the first fsp tune.
" please make sure you clear all adaptations with a star in the same area there is a default initialization I'd rather you do that."
Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
Bud, first you have to understand how these cars and components work to begin with before making claims like "before it didn't do it and now with the BWK it does." And stating "that the tensioner tightens as you rev" is also wrong.

I'm just trying to clear up misinformation so people don't put stock into this information, and I'm really not attempting to be rude.

First point, you say before when it was revved up while doing engine mounts your didn't notice it. Well was that before the FSP? I'm guessing it was and the reason it didn't appear to be as the tensioner was tightening is because the supercharger wasn't engaged just free revving and no load on the SC belt and pulleys.

Second the tensioner is a basic mechanical mechanism that just applies a spring tension / load, It doesn't change. So why it appears to be tightening is because your car with the FSP is underload on the belt and causing it slacking on the back side letting the pulley travel further and appear to be tighter.
I appreciate your clearing this up. However while my statement is rather general it will remain the same and is accurate as far as I can see. Yes slack may be the reason I'm seeing the tensioner wrap the belt around the pulley even better.... See there? wraps the belt around the supercharger pulley more as load is applied where it will slip the most to reduce slip.

About the solid vs clutched pulley.... Yes I will acknowledge there is a difference, but reving to 4k rpm, with more than half throttle sometimes in drive worth the brakes applied reving past 2k rpm. No tensioner action and I'm sure I got some boost there
Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT

The belt wrap kit does not change anything about the mechanical action of the tensioner. It would not cause the tensioner to swing farther under load.

1ForcedBenz's explanation is dead on. You did not see any tensioner swing because the clutch never engaged on your old setup.

The belt stretches at high RPM. Something like a supercharger (or if you want a more practical example, A/C compressor) under load puts up very heavy resistance to spinning, and today's serp belts (which are like a series of little V-belts) grab so tight, it's enough to stretch the belt out like a rubber band at high RPM, which causes the tensioner to swing farther to the right. The addition of the BWK does not cause the belt to stretch more.

Last edited by HeissRod; 12-21-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:30 AM

Benz
I appreciate your clearing this up. However while my statement is rather general it will remain the same and is accurate as far as I can see. Yes slack may be the reason I'm seeing the tensioner wrap the belt around the pulley even better.... See there? wraps the belt around the supercharger pulley more as load is applied where it will slip the most to reduce slip.

About the solid vs clutched pulley.... Yes I will acknowledge there is a difference, but reving to 4k rpm, with more than half throttle sometimes in drive worth the brakes applied reving past 2k rpm. No tensioner action and I'm sure I got some boost there

Again your grossly mistaken, and instead of wanting to gain factual information/knowledge it seems like your pride is causing you to be sticking by your wrong assumptions. I'm well aware of BWK and what they do I've installed them.

And again your wrong, show me a video of your car in drive doing a brake stand to 4k rpm. At a standstill.... Unless you have a race converter, then it's not possibly happening bud.

And yeah you can get the SC to engage during a brake torque situations but it's violent and only happens briefly while the entire engine bucks in the engine bay and torques all the motor mounts, you wouldn't be able to see the tensioner move with all the other things moving and lifting the engine when it happens.

Have you ever been on a dyno with one of these cars with the stock SC pulley? Go do yourself a favor and watch the tensioner on a pull and you'll see your mysteriously self tightening tensioner in action as well. Maybe once you see it happening with and without a BWK we can just call it and assume that "It's the hand of God reaching down applying additional load to the tensioner to keep are SC belts tight for us"

Last edited by 1ForcedBenz; 12-22-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 ford lightning
mine bounced around before bwk. However the bwk does its job.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:05 AM

Benz
Originally Posted by 99lightning
mine bounced around before bwk. However the bwk does its job.
Who's arguing the BWK doesn't work? Not myself, a bigger contact patch on the SC pulley is great to have and it loads the belt more. We're talking two different points here.
Old 12-24-2014, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by 1ForcedBenz
Again your grossly mistaken, and instead of wanting to gain factual information/knowledge it seems like your pride is causing you to be sticking by your wrong assumptions. I'm well aware of BWK and what they do I've installed them.

And again your wrong, show me a video of your car in drive doing a brake stand to 4k rpm. At a standstill.... Unless you have a race converter, then it's not possibly happening bud.

And yeah you can get the SC to engage during a brake torque situations but it's violent and only happens briefly while the entire engine bucks in the engine bay and torques all the motor mounts, you wouldn't be able to see the tensioner move with all the other things moving and lifting the engine when it happens.

Have you ever been on a dyno with one of these cars with the stock SC pulley? Go do yourself a favor and watch the tensioner on a pull and you'll see your mysteriously self tightening tensioner in action as well. Maybe once you see it happening with and without a BWK we can just call it and assume that "It's the hand of God reaching down applying additional load to the tensioner to keep are SC belts tight for us"
Clearly you want to be so right you refuse to actually read my posts for what it is and try to delve into matters my original post did not address.
No where in my post did I mention brake standing till 4000rpm ...read it again, slowly and comprehend.
I also said it wraps around more as the rpm goes up.... Actually didn't mean the tensioner gets tighter. In fact I mentioned the BWK contributing to the extra wrap no matter where the slack is coming from.

Since you want to get technical let's. Without the BWK there is more deflection on the belt as the supercharger engages. However all that is lost since the belt comes straight down from the supercharger pulley to the crank and yes the is slack and flap that seems to be absorbed mostly on the long free standing side of the belt. This might contribute to why it seems the tensioner is bouncing COUNTER CLOCKWISE as you Rev with or without transmission in gear (this I have observed too). However I will add, it's so little that like I said previously, the tensioner appears to stay mostly put. But let's not be mistaken. The times I have seen the tensioner move without the BWK, it went counter clockwise.

With the BWK, it seems either due to the angulation the belt is in or the fact that the long free standing end of the belt is now on a pulley..... honestly I'm not sure what's contributing to this the most.... the tensioner moves CLOCKWISE like the video shows.

Now I did not mean to make this some technical topic or I would have done a little more homework and actually put some real argument as to why the BWK can make the tensioner do this or that blah blah blah. I just said the BWK not the tensioner contributes in some way to making the belt wrap around the supercharger pulley a little more (increased surface area convered) as the rpm goes up. Innocent comment look how far some want to take it just to correct others jeez.

Last edited by kponti; 12-24-2014 at 05:12 PM.