Sponsored by:

E63 head bolt issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche
E63 head bolt issue?

I see many comments on it on the C63 but I see very few people speak about it for the E63, is it a very rare issue? Will something on the dash alert you if it becomes an issue as to keep the fixing cost from getting too high? Any opinions are appreciated
Old 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
07' E63s had this issue...no warnings from what i remember. you have to replace them with stronger bolts.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55K AMG
Just search "E63" and you'll find all the posts within the first few pages. You can find more information about the M156 engine in the C63 section. I was, seriously, interested in picking up a an '08 63 before i spent the last two days researching. From what i'm reading, there is no warming. Some heard a, louder than usual, ticking noise but never update to say whether or not things got worse. There aren't many cases of this happening to E63 owners, but there have been terrible stories from the owner's that have had it happen. It's just not worth the risk to me. In summary, if you're going to go the 63 route, it's highly advised to get one with a warranty. I, personally, will begin searching for a low mileage 55k. If you are looking to purchase, good luck on your search.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:16 PM

porsche
E55s are apparently some of the worst built Mercedes Benz with many numerous issues that's why I can't decide
Old 01-26-2015, 04:24 PM

2005 E55K AMG
That's not what I gathered from my research. There are numerous threads on pro and cons of each. They are both great vehicles, but the E63 just had a few more issues with the M156 platform. At the end of the day, it's about doing your research and buying you feel will fit you. You realize you are in the W211 AMG section and referring to it as "worst built Mercedes Benz," right? There are many satisfied owners of both. I hope to, soon, become one.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
Either don't get an AMG car or buy an extended warranty if you are this concerned. Repairs will come up. You're considering a 100k luxury/race car for the street.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by benznewcomer
E55s are apparently some of the worst built Mercedes Benz with many numerous issues that's why I can't decide

Buy a Porsche. Those things never break.

-G
Old 01-26-2015, 09:38 PM

porsche
financemike i understand repairs are needed with e55, but one as major as needing a new engine (head bolts) seems significant
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS55
Originally Posted by benznewcomer
financemike i understand repairs are needed with e55, but one as major as needing a new engine (head bolts) seems significant
If you buy a CPO E63 or a good extended warranty, that repair will be covered.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:57 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by BwBenz
Just search "E63" and you'll find all the posts within the first few pages. You can find more information about the M156 engine in the C63 section. I was, seriously, interested in picking up a an '08 63 before i spent the last two days researching. From what i'm reading, there is no warming. Some heard a, louder than usual, ticking noise but never update to say whether or not things got worse. There aren't many cases of this happening to E63 owners, but there have been terrible stories from the owner's that have had it happen. It's just not worth the risk to me. In summary, if you're going to go the 63 route, it's highly advised to get one with a warranty. I, personally, will begin searching for a low mileage 55k. If you are looking to purchase, good luck on your search.
Do your searches like this says. But... as most members here will tell you, some people worrying about it hear a small tick or knock and then they freak out, post something asking about it, and then you never hear back about it. They likely started it up, heard nothing, then started driving it and it never made a noise again. You seriously hear not much about his issue. The only time you see threads pertaining to it is when someone like the OP starts another one, or someone brings the old one back up months later.

Porsches don't break???????????? Ask all the 99 to 2006 owners if the main bearing issue worries them. I ran away from two due to this issue. Other than that MAJOR issue they are reliable for the most part.

@BWBenz you stated that if someone is looking for a E63 a warranty is pretty much a must have item. Thats why you are looking for a low mileage E55. As if you getting a E55 you don't need a warranty. At least thats the way your post is perceived.

BOTH cars if a warranty is possible , get one. IF you need to bump up a year or go with one with different miles on it so you can get a warranty then do that so you can buy one. Stepping up a little in payment or cash can save you down the road. As you hear from a lot of members, they have put many many miles on theirs with no trouble at all. So as in life you take your chances. One car is not less costly than the other. So it matters not which you choose, they both will have their own high costs with ownership. But you can do which a lot of others do, drive it till something goes wrong and then get rid of it. Or when its time for front brakes on the E63 sell it. This happens quite often.

For buyers there are several respected members selling their E55 or thinking about it. Those are your best bets to get, but you will pay a premium to do it due to the superior condition members cars are in.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:47 PM

2005 E55K AMG
SherriffDep, your input is greatly appreciated and valued. I have been talking to my wife more about it and i'm, now, leaning more towards an E63. I'm not looking to do much in the performance dept, if any. I'm coming from Jeep GCSRT8 with intake/exhaust/tune, and it was satisfying. I have been looking for a blk/blk 08, but there just aren't many in my area, right now, with less than 80k on the clock. There are even fewer E55's out there. At the end of that day, this is a purchase that i don't have to make tomorrow, so i'm ok with waiting until I find what I want.

To the OP, you seem to be addressing the same questions/concerns, worded differently, in different threads. Take some time to sit down and research this forum. There is A LOT of good information here. You will be the one walking to the bank and to the dealership.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Porsches don't break???????????? Ask all the 99 to 2006 owners if the main bearing issue worries them. I ran away from two due to this issue. Other than that MAJOR issue they are reliable for the most part.

That was a tongue-in-cheek comment for the OP, who claims to drive a Porsche currently....

I'd had pretty good luck with my own '89 Carrera in terms of reliability, but yes I've also heard that the IMS issue is a terrifyingly expensive ticking time-bomb. I couldn't own one of those cars unless I knew it had already been updated.

The 2014 991 Turbo S looks solid, I'd go for that one!!! Oh wait, I forgot.... I don't have $180,000.

-G
Old 01-27-2015, 07:59 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by GregMB
That was a tongue-in-cheek comment for the OP, who claims to drive a Porsche currently....

I'd had pretty good luck with my own '89 Carrera in terms of reliability, but yes I've also heard that the IMS issue is a terrifyingly expensive ticking time-bomb. I couldn't own one of those cars unless I knew it had already been updated.

The 2014 991 Turbo S looks solid, I'd go for that one!!! Oh wait, I forgot.... I don't have $180,000.

-G
It is widely regarded that Porsche's are pretty darn reliable as long as they are taken care of. They are the best sports car to DD and not worry for sure. I was just saying that the IMS issue is a pretty darn big deal at 20k plus for repairs. That covers about all of them from 99 to 2006. Kinda sucks for getting a good one, you just aren't sure. Yes your years are great. Period.

I just saw a 88 or 89 sell for about 60k and was more of a normal model. Keep yours and keep it nice and it will climb in value over the next few years. Porsches are pretty hot right now value wise.

BW---- you really seem to have done your homework on them. Kudos to you and thanks for posting to the OP to do his search. He needs too. Also posting about MB being the worst, he will have to overcome that. Find the 63 you want and you seem to know which one you do like. Take several months to find it. 09's are rarer. A pic of mine is below all this. It is what you want and the reason why I sold the Black/Tan and then a Maserati to get this one. I love it.

Its like a person and we all know them say they hate Cops and they all are crooked, when you dig further into why they hate them they tell you a Cop gave them a speeding ticket for 85 in a 55 and they shouldn't have because other cars were going faster than them. Then they come up with an excuse of why the Cop picked them out. Really!!!!!!!!!! They were doing 30 over, of course they are getting stopped and getting a ticket. They hate the cops because they were wrong and got caught. End of story.

My sister had a C230 k which had a spring fail, battery fail, and then a crankcase sensor on the highway fail. MB paid half for the spring, paid for the battery and paid for the CS. She sold it and promptly says MB are junk and they fall apart.

When people speak its all relative to their thought pattern. Not all our thought patterns are realistic and logical. Her's was normal typical stuff, but for whatever reason she hates them now. I love to rub it in how my last 3 have been great.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 65 Nova
Thanks SheriffDep,

Some explain it better than others. You are telling it right. I have 16 months in my 06E55 (solid car!) but I had to look through alot of thrashed trash to find one that would be great "down the road for years" and I had to keep up with the previous owner on upkeep to have a perfect car - NOTHING WRONG - With each broken comes a fix. Do it or they build up. And these are not cheap....unless you read all the great info our Mbcommunity has here.

Some just don't get it.....
Old 01-27-2015, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SheriffDep

I just saw a 88 or 89 sell for about 60k and was more of a normal model. Keep yours and keep it nice and it will climb in value over the next few years. Porsches are pretty hot right now value wise.

If only I had a crystal ball....

Mine was a limited edition "25th Anniversary Edition" Carrera. Silver with Dove grey interior, front and rear factory spoilers and special interior bits (930 console, sport seats, etc)

I owned it for 17 years and sold it just before the market went crazy in the last few years..... It makes me a little nauseous to see what they are selling for now. That's life sometimes......shoulda, woulda, coulda.

-G
Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 AM

2005 E55K AMG
SheriffDep, That is the color combo I want. Yours is GORGEOUS! Just like "my toy" that i'm selling, my next will not be a DD. It will remain parked in the garage until the weekend and will never see the rain. I will wait until I find what I want, which is what I did with my SRT8. I know the cost of ownership MAY be greater, but i'm willing to accept that. At this point, I'm wanting a bit more from an automobile, so i expect to spend a bit more for it. I can already appreciate the AMG community. I, anxiously, look forward to joining you guys!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 PM

13' E350 4matic, 08' E63
Originally Posted by BwBenz
SheriffDep, That is the color combo I want. Yours is GORGEOUS! Just like "my toy" that i'm selling, my next will not be a DD. It will remain parked in the garage until the weekend and will never see the rain. I will wait until I find what I want, which is what I did with my SRT8. I know the cost of ownership MAY be greater, but i'm willing to accept that. At this point, I'm wanting a bit more from an automobile, so i expect to spend a bit more for it. I can already appreciate the AMG community. I, anxiously, look forward to joining you guys!
Theres a 09 Black on Black 41k miles on cars.com that looks good for 34k. Seems like a pretty good deal. I think only 450 E63's were brought into the country in 09. 24 of them wagons. You might not be ready and there will always be one out there but there is a good one to look at.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:03 AM

porsche
thanks sheriff for your posts, yes the IMS issue on the 2000-2008 models is what drove me away from getting a used porsche, it pretty much results in needing a new engine and the supposed fixes were not as reliable as I once thought...is it a serious issue that effects many of the vehicles? who knows, but i digress....

i decided to get the e55 and will work on some repairs on getting it up to tip top shape, thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 06:05 PM

Audi S4 (sold), E46 M3 (sold) 05 E55 silver/black(sold)
The E55? Which E55 did you get?
Old 01-29-2015, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by KMS11
The E55? Which E55 did you get?
The basketcase we all warned him away from.....

-G
Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM

Audi S4 (sold), E46 M3 (sold) 05 E55 silver/black(sold)
Wow. I would deal with a headbolt issue on an E63 any day of the week over that E55. Why ask the question if you're going to insist on stupid decisions?