W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New E55 Owner- Few questions

Old 01-30-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche
New E55 Owner- Few questions

hey all first off thanks to the few who gave me their thoughts and opinions on the E55 and E63, I am now owner of a 2003 E55 and drove it around today and just had a few questions...

1) I knew about the panoramic roof not working, loud clicking noise when I try to open it. When I am driving at faster speeds (50 miles or so and higher) I hear a "whistling noise" and can feel the cabin get a little colder so im presuming some air is seeping in to the cabin. I hear the loud clicking noise when trying to close so I am presuming its a motor issue? Anyone in lower mainland BC you guys recommend ?

2) Got the AMG decals from dealership to put into the seats, how much aprox. they will charge to install? Any other place in lower mainland bc who can do it for me?

3)First plan is to confirm that the old radiator is in and have that replaced with the new behr radiator, anyone know the product number of the behr updated radiator for the e55? i searched forums and found people recommending multiple models of the behr and dont know which one is for the E55. Also what fluids do you recommend changing while they replace radiator? (engine coolant? transmission fluid? brake fluid? anything else?)

thank you all I appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by benznewcomer
hey all first off thanks to the few who gave me their thoughts and opinions on the E55 and E63, I am now owner of a 2003 E55 and drove it around today and just had a few questions...

1) I knew about the panoramic roof not working, loud clicking noise when I try to open it. When I am driving at faster speeds (50 miles or so and higher) I hear a "whistling noise" and can feel the cabin get a little colder so im presuming some air is seeping in to the cabin. I hear the loud clicking noise when trying to close so I am presuming its a motor issue? Anyone in lower mainland BC you guys recommend ?

2) Got the AMG decals from dealership to put into the seats, how much aprox. they will charge to install? Any other place in lower mainland bc who can do it for me?

3)First plan is to confirm that the old radiator is in and have that replaced with the new behr radiator, anyone know the product number of the behr updated radiator for the e55? i searched forums and found people recommending multiple models of the behr and dont know which one is for the E55. Also what fluids do you recommend changing while they replace radiator? (engine coolant? transmission fluid? brake fluid? anything else?)

Pano roof is probably toast.... 10 hrs of labor plus parts. You've got to pull the entire headliner down to get access to the motor. Mine was around $2800 to fix.

If you're lucky it's just a "sync" issue... but if the motor is making any sort of grinding noises, the plastic gears are already stripped.

If you're lucky you can use the factory supplied crank to shut it all the way (to kill the wind noise) then pull the fuse from the panel and never try to open it again.

-G
Old 01-30-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, past: SL55, 560SEL
I thought pano wasn't an option on the '03s?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by tubaprde
I thought pano wasn't an option on the '03s?
i think just the solar panel was an option in '03 and early 04

Jake (loungn14) posted a repair thread https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...rocharged.html

if it's the motor

welcome!!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Welcome. Mine was making a clicking sound and wouldn't open. I reset it and works good now.
Utube resetting pano roof.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
13' E350 4matic, 08' E63

First I will say welcome to AMG ownership. You will love the car and learn to work on it at the same time. Makes you appreciate it more. This forum is tailored to E55 owners more than E63 owners so you should have no problems finding what you want for DIY repairs. But happy you decided and are now a member.

Please being a newer member and a new owner don't take this too harsh, but you got to seriously start to do your own searches for the issues on your car, rather than making another thread and saying you searched. The Pano Roof thread @Toadster posted has been around for years and comes up regularly and comes up first in a search. I know I searched and got it and posted it for you the other day in another thread.

Pano Roof - Without the screen closed the roof leaks air slightly and has wind noise. Normal. Machine gun clicking sound likely means the motor is gone or on the way out. Read the thread and you can figure out which issue you have. This fix is not hard just takes a few hours of your time instead of spending thousands at the stealership.

Setback logos - You said you got them at the dealership where you are, why didnt you ask them then how much they would charge to install them. Cant be difficult. I highly doubt anyone on here ever has had that issue, let alone knows how much a dealer would charge. That would likely be more of an Upholstery Shop type question in you local area.

Radiator - might want to ask the dealer for a part number, not many threads on that one. ( I check before I blast someone for not looking) Might have to call some of the companies and speak to someone to get a specific part number then shop around.

Fluids - At the top of the W211 AMG threads there is a Sticky that has all the various normal maintenance under DIY that you could want. You might have to read the DIY pertaining to the fluid you want, to find out what is suggested. My suggestion is to run Mobil for the oil, Factory or equivalent (MB is Fuchs rebottled I think) for transmission, Motul or Castrol for brake, Coolant might not matter (not sure) etc......
Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 AM

porsche
thanks for the reply, yes i understand it has been posted quite a bit, 2800 quote ouch thought i might be able to get it fixed for 1000 but maybe i am way off haha, ill call some trusted honest mechanics in the area and see what diagnosis they give, thanks all
Old 01-31-2015, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for the reply, yes i understand it has been posted quite a bit, 2800 quote ouch thought i might be able to get it fixed for 1000 but maybe i am way off haha, ill call some trusted honest mechanics in the area and see what diagnosis they give, thanks all
Fix the important stuff first.....

Don't waste your money on seat badges or pano roof fixes until you have the cooling system repaired and figure out why the engine is running rough.

I hate to be the "turd in the punchbowl" but it is clear that you are going to run out of money before you fix everything that is wrong with that car.

At least if you fix the functional issues FIRST, you have a drivable car that won't self-destruct....then you can save up for the trivial stuff like AMG badges and the pano roof.

SherrifDep is right.... You should really have searched for answers BEFORE making this purchase, and you would already know how expensive everything was going to be. But at least if you learn to fix things yourself you can save a lot of labor $$$.

-G
Old 02-01-2015, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
^^^^^^+++++1

First thing to do -is even though u got a PPI done. Go to an actual dealership n ask em to do a thorough run up.

When you get a list- start prioritizing.

The miles are low on the car n Pano roof problem makes me wonder- also since the miles are so low, previous owner

might still be running older generation Bosch pump instead of the new "updated" version. So after few runs your

S/C will shut down. Another thing to keep in mind is that - S/C cars have a whine/whistle.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:37 PM

porsche
thanks all appreciate the replies
Old 02-03-2015, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
I'm glad you made your decision and picked up the car you really wanted. My independent mechanic quoted me around $1100 for the panorama motor and labor so $2800 sounds like a dealership price. I'm not familiar with your area but if you're going to pay to get things fixed, you should really find yourself a good mechanic who knows Mercedes-Benz. That way it will only cost you an arm instead of arms and legs.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If your lucky, it's just a motor swap. If you aren't, you end up buying the tracks... You won't know until everything is torn apart. And those tracks are expensive too.

Stop wasting time/money on the pano roof, and find out how much damage the engine has.....

-G
Old 03-29-2015, 12:17 AM

04 E55 Amg 130k
Originally Posted by SheriffDep

Please being a newer member and a new owner don't take this too harsh, but you got to seriously start to do your own searches for the issues on your car, rather than making another thread and saying you searched. The Pano Roof thread @Toadster posted has been around for years and comes up regularly and comes up first in a search. I know I searched and got it and posted it for you the other day in another thread.

Pano Roof - Without the screen closed the roof leaks air slightly and has wind noise. Normal. Machine gun clicking sound likely means the motor is gone or on the way out. Read the thread and you can figure out which issue you have. This fix is not hard just takes a few hours of your time instead of spending thousands at the stealership.

I seem to have the same issue happening on my 04 55 pano
I did a search for that particular thread mentioned, no luck
Has the thread been removed?
Cut me some slack lol fist day on the forum a is just got my car today

Any chance you can point me in the right direction?
Much appreciated!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Originally Posted by Djguilty
I seem to have the same issue happening on my 04 55 pano
I did a search for that particular thread mentioned, no luck
Has the thread been removed?
Cut me some slack lol fist day on the forum a is just got my car today

Any chance you can point me in the right direction?
Much appreciated!
Pano DIY plus lots more....

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-addition.html
Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 AM

04 E55 Amg 130k
Awesome!
Thanks a lot , you da man!