Old 05-29-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Yes. I was in a 2015 C300. Pretty nice!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Reimbursement to arrive in 2 days, per MBUSA

Today, only 3 days short of 4 months after submitting for reimbursement, MBUSA promised the dealership would be cutting a check within the next 2 days.....
Old 06-18-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Exclamation E55 fuel tank extended warranty

I'm new to this forum, just bought a 06- 55 and called local dealership---said they'd check VIN,verified it is indeed covered until 2021 unlimited miles--- for the fuel tank, I'm reading here that folks are talking about fuel pump replacement as well, they did not say that however if it is internal it would seem they will include it, along with a loaner car. I'll repost once it's been done with an exact description of what is done and replaced. I will note that it is best to use key phrase-- fuel smell as it seems
IT WILL NOT BE COVERED UNLESS YOU USE THOSE EXACT WORDS.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:59 PM

2006 MB E55 AMG
I had my gas tank replaced this week but because of what I read on here about the dealers not covering the cost of dropping modified exhaust I called first. I waited months for my gas tank to arrive due to a back order and when it did I called the dealer to see if I was going to be charged labor for my exhaust because the previous owner had the rear cats and resonator removed. They told me "no, it should all be covered". I took the car in and within a few hours they were calling me about the exhaust. They said that the warranty does not pay for removing the entire exhaust and there will be a labor charge. I told them I had called and asked that specific question before making this appointment and they need to get a manager involved because I'm not paying for it. I expected them to call me back within 15 minutes of that but I didn't hear from them again till the car was ready. They ate the cost for my exhaust removal.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'05 E55, ‘00 ML55, ‘92 500E
Originally Posted by Blue55
I had my gas tank replaced this week but because of what I read on here about the dealers not covering the cost of dropping modified exhaust I called first. I waited months for my gas tank to arrive due to a back order and when it did I called the dealer to see if I was going to be charged labor for my exhaust because the previous owner had the rear cats and resonator removed. They told me "no, it should all be covered". I took the car in and within a few hours they were calling me about the exhaust. They said that the warranty does not pay for removing the entire exhaust and there will be a labor charge. I told them I had called and asked that specific question before making this appointment and they need to get a manager involved because I'm not paying for it. I expected them to call me back within 15 minutes of that but I didn't hear from them again till the car was ready. They ate the cost for my exhaust removal.
Just curious, do they have to drop the exhaust for each tank replacement? and if so, where do they usually disconnect it from? My '05 E55 has a small exhaust leak from the driver side manifold to cat connection from the previous owner replacing the cat.. Haven't popped the manifold off yet to see if its cracked but I'm thinking that if they remove it from the manifold connection and reattach it properly, it could cure my annoyance.. My car goes in weds for the fuel system retrofit..
Old 08-10-2015, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
removed: wrong topic
Old 08-23-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
For reference, the warranty that Mercedes provides is irrelevant. Show the very clear, and detailed letter from Mercedes corporate written to the NHTSA that declares the warranty on the fuel components inside the tank, including the pump and filter when leaking.

This is not goodwill. It's contract law. You shouldn't have to wait months with gasoline leaking inside your car. Tell your dealer if they refuse to honor it within a 48 hour window, you'll report Mercedes to the Feds (NHTSA) for fraud, and filing suit shortly thereafter. I Guarantee you they will move to get it repaired after that. The only reason Mercedes prevented a recall is because they are extending the warranty. Delays on repairs, failing to honor the warranty, and general bad faith will FORCE a recall with the NHTSA. Mercedes doesn't want that.

This is gasoline we're talking about. They have no room to wiggle.

My own experience: They reimbursed me for the filter, and replaced my leaking fuel pumps. I wouldn't let them change the tank only because I didn't want them removing the exhaust, and all the other components required to change it. Plus the tank wasn't leaking.

Last edited by equitiesguy; 08-23-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
They change out everything now, it's one part, the tank has the pumps and sender in it already and exhaust has to come off, I was charged for it also, nothing you can do about that
Old 09-02-2015, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Couldn't we just have a fabricator throw in some v-bands ahead of the tank so the exhaust can be easily disconnected? Probably cheaper than paying the dealership to remove the entire exhaust.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Yup, but next time I'll bring it to my buddies shop and drop it then bring it to the dealership just so I don't have to hear any bs, takes about 20 min to drop it and 20 min to hook back up,not the 2 hours they charged me for.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
The only reason I had the work done at the stealership was that once a recall was announced (hoping, of course), I would be able to recoup my funds easier. This proved to be the case. I submitted my paperwork to my SA and roughly 3 weeks later I received my check!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
The only reason I had the work done at the stealership was that once a recall was announced (hoping, of course), I would be able to recoup my funds easier. This proved to be the case. I submitted my paperwork to my SA and roughly 3 weeks later I received my check!
I submitted mine on 10-19 and called my service advisor on the 28th to get an update he said it will take 6-8 weeks, does this sound right? or should I call MB USA and see where it's at? Any help would be great. I had my indie do the work back in early 13. Just needed to find all my paperwork.

What is the average time frame for turnaround on this issue, I've seen weeks to over 4 month's, seems all over the board..
Old 11-12-2015, 05:42 PM

05 E55, 07 ML500
UPDATE: Just received my check in the mail. Process took less than 3 weeks, also noticed check was cut on 11-2-15, just 2 weeks after submittal. Painless.. Good job MBUSA...
Old 11-14-2015, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Has anybody had the recall/repair tank fail? We just went to get breakfast and the fumes were unbearable. I took it from empty to full and temps are dropping quickly. I have roughly 10K on the replacement tank. Smells just like it did before.

Last edited by 2000UZJ; 11-14-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Did they actually replace the tank and both pumps? My buddy had a dealer give him a fraudulent invoice that showed parts replaced when in fact they were not.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by JoeNobody
Did they actually replace the tank and both pumps? My buddy had a dealer give him a fraudulent invoice that showed parts replaced when in fact they were not.
Yes they did. I confirmed it when the car was on the lift. I don't think RBM Atlanta is into fraudulent warranty claims.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
Has anybody had the recall/repair tank fail? We just went to get breakfast and the fumes were unbearable. I took it from empty to full and temps are dropping quickly. I have roughly 10K on the replacement tank. Smells just like it did before.
I just had mine replaced at MB Escondido. They replaced the fuel sending unit, pump, and fuel tank at no charge. My check engine light went off (small evap leak) after driving it for about a day and I checked around the pump and there aren't any leaks. I plan on checking it every couple of months but I'll let you know if it fails. I have heard a few stories of the replacement pumps failing. Mine looks noticeably different so hopefully a new design but it still uses the same part #. Have you took it back to the dealer yet?

Last edited by Jelanib; 11-24-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:43 PM

2005 E55, GMC Whipple Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali Pickup,Big Bored Hyabusa with nitrous
I had my leaking tank replaced at the dealership before the bulletin and reimbursement was ever discussed. I was hopeful there would be a recall because the girl I originally spoke to at MBUSA told me the safety institute had been pushing for this. So, my dealership took it upon themselves to replace the leaking tank as well as both fuel pumps , sending units and everything else they could think to add. Btw, my car had just 28k miles on it. They told me the bill and I went off. The tank was only leaking around the raised area that the mounting stud was made into. Bottom line, I could have dropped the tank and repaired it in ten minutes then reinstalled it without issue. So, they hand me a bill for $3400.00 . I said there's no way in hell Im paying that. Finally they said they would split the bill three ways between myself, the dealership and MBUSA. So, I paid 1100.00 my part. Once the bulletin came out , my service advisor pulled up my RO as I didn't have my copy with me. He handed it off to the girl that submits their stuff to MBUSA the same day. I was pleasantly surprised when my service advisor called me just 13 days later and said he had my reimbursement check in his hand. The checks are cut from the dealership not MBUSA. Once the dealer sends the RO to MBUSA and they agree it falls under the bulletin then the dealership can stroke you a check. This explains why many
People are getting the run around. All dealers are eager to collect money but its like pulling teeth trying to get them to give it back. No matter how you paid , your RO will be in their system. My guy had no issue looking it up and printing a copy. Any dealership claiming they need the original copy,or can't do the claim because you paid cash is full of ****. They are either stalling or hoping you'll give up eventually. Anyone having issues should call MBUSA and explain your situation. Many times you won't have to even go that far . Tell the service manager your feeling screwed around and that you ARE going to call MBUSA. They hate when customers have to go to MBUSA to complain about something that is pretty cut and dried and easy to make the customer whole and happy again. Calls to MBUSA on things like this reflect badly on the dealerships that are pulling this kind of crap. Good luck to anyone who hasn't gotten their claim resolved yet.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:23 PM

2005 E55, GMC Whipple Supercharged Quadrasteer Denali Pickup,Big Bored Hyabusa with nitrous
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
I just had to replace both fuel pumps a week ago would I be eligible for a reimbursement? My VMI does show "fuel tank leak" on it.
You should be golden. That's another loop hole that is being used. For people that are having a hard time because their RO doesn't mention fuel leak or fuel smell this is bs. The techs don't mind replacing the tank under warranty. If someone was to pull the rear seat bottom then remove the metal access plate then pour a half pint of gas around the recesses at the top of the tank so it puddles a bit. Then of course put the plate and seat back. Then call roadside assistance and state you smell gas inside and outside of the car and you feel unsafe driving it. Pretty sure they will tow it in and replace the tank with no questions asked. I do know of cars that just had pumps done and came back weeks later for a tank leak. In some cases they did the tank and the pumps that were only weeks old again. It would stink to have to resort to that kind of tactic and you shouldn't have to. Remember, this is a safety issue and warranty is paying the tab. No dealership is going to try to not replace everything covered by the bulletin when the bottom line is leaking fuel can result in fire. The last thing they want is to dismiss a fuel smell and then the car burns to the ground injuring or possibly killing someone.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:54 AM

C32 AMG - E55 AMG
Very informative information here.

Has anyone in Canada tried to go to their stealer and see what they have to say?

I am looking to do the same.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:47 AM

2003 Mercedes Benz E55 Kompressor
I just had my fuel tank and both senders replace under the safety recall & I was handed a bill for 2,000.00 for a corroded wire harness that I think is located under the seat near the fuel tank. But due to it being corroded and MBUSA won't cover that part, that I would have to pay that portion of the bill. The dealer said.....it should be covered under the safety recall but MBUSA refuse to cover it. It's a 2003 with 67k miles on her, I think the gasoline leak might of cause the corrosion but I'm just assuming that might be the cause for the corrosion.

Last edited by kshawn; 01-20-2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by kshawn
I just had my fuel tank and both senders replace under the safety recall & I was handed a bill for 2,000.00 for a corroded wire harness that I think is located under the seat near the fuel tank. But due to it being corroded and MBUSA won't cover that part, that I would have to pay that portion of the bill. The dealer said.....it should be covered under the safety recall but MBUSA refuse to cover it. It's a 2003 with 67k miles on her, I think the gasoline leak might of cause the corrosion but I'm just assuming that might be the cause for the corrosion.
Was the wiring harness for the fuel pump or sender? If so you should refuse to pay. $2K to fix a harness is absurd. If they still refuse to cover all costs, then go lookup how much it costs to fix something like that (call dealerships or check Mercrdes own repair documents). Something like that should not cost more than a few hundred bucks.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55
I had this work done back in 2011. My car just wouldn;t start, turned out to be there was fuel pooling and the senders had to be replaced. Cost about $2100 at the dealer here in NJ. Just brought in my claim this weekend to a different dealer also in NJ, the service advisor wasn't familiar with the issue but the manager was and said they will take care of it. I guess i am officially on the clock, i will let you know when I get a response or a check.
Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Got my brand new tank at Mercedes Benz of Buckhead with no questions asked. They gave me a brand new loaner, car wash and fresh full tank of gas.

Highly recommended if you are in the south east and only took one day.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 M Roadster, 2005 E55 AMG Estate
Since they're redoing this recall with basically the exact same stock system, does anyone know if you'll be eligible for another replacement? Mine was replaced 4 years ago and then reimbursed last year.

However, I just got a whiff of fuel smell today. :S I'm hoping it's because of an overfill and is a 1 time thing... but if it's not i'm going to be really irked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: REIMBURSEMENTS from MBUSA: Owner incurred fuels system repairs