Sponsored by:

REIMBURSEMENTS from MBUSA: Owner incurred fuels system repairs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
They will replace as it breaks. Its a warranty not a recall.

The latest tanks appear to be more durable, so hopefully they last more than 2-5 years on our american ethanol laced fuel.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W211 E63
So I replaced my fuel filter with sender at an Indy last year. Then I stumbled upon this thread and figured I get my money back. I printed out the NHTSA paper work citing the extended warranty on the Fuel pump related issues, and brought my invoice from the indy.

I contacted MBUSA and they told me since I had work done at an indy I wouldn't get reimbursed, after calmly explaining that the NHTSA bulletin says that the warranty is extended, If I boughy the part, how can it not be reimbursed. She put me on hold, and said it shouldn't be a problem and said I need to visit my local dealer and speak to the Service Manager.

I go to my local dealer, see the service manager. I give him the paper work and we go into his office. He then tells me he needs a part number because my indy omitted it. He called a few people at parts, and couldn't come up with a matching invoice. He told me to see him if I find the matching invoice

After taking a week off I was still determined, so went to parts department with the indy invoice, and what do you know, it wasn't the fuel pump, but fuel filter we replaced, still under the extended warranty.

So here is where it gets spooky. I try to contact the service manager, and he mysteriously disappears. He's either at a meeting... all day. I'm told to come back tomorrow. I call maybe 3-4 times, he never picks up, After the nice secretary asks who I am and what I'm calling about. Strange right??

I'll update when I get a hold of the mysterious disappearing SM.

Last edited by fila0220; 08-24-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55
Originally Posted by twowheelmarc
I had this work done back in 2011. My car just wouldn;t start, turned out to be there was fuel pooling and the senders had to be replaced. Cost about $2100 at the dealer here in NJ. Just brought in my claim this weekend to a different dealer also in NJ, the service advisor wasn't familiar with the issue but the manager was and said they will take care of it. I guess i am officially on the clock, i will let you know when I get a response or a check.
I just got my check yesterday.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Fila which dealer and what is the status
Old 09-26-2016, 12:19 PM

W211 E63
Originally Posted by Hulk
Fila which dealer and what is the status
This is up in Queens, Silver Star.

So without trying to bash anyone, these guys are acting like I'm trying to take money from their personal stash. I have the Original Silver Star Invoice for parts from the date I bought it. They didn't like that the Indy invoice was 6 months later for a different job, I told them it was my mistake and it was a different job and provided the correct invoice from the indy.

The service manger went MIA, so I left the paper with his secretary, mind you I called everyday and started to know the secretaries by name. Then when I came in after another week of no contact, I ran into another guy who also manages the parts depo. He put the service manager on speaker, and the service manager had the nerve to say I never called him, why did I leave the paper with the secretary, he was doing the job, "btw what i'm trying to do sounds like fraud." The type of finger pointing you do when you decide to take ZERO accountability when put on the spot.

The parts depo manager says he will take care of it from here. Gives me his cell, seems like a nice guy. I just returned after a 10 day trip overseas and left him a message.

The thing is, I'm not even trying to argue the labor or retail price. I'm trying to get the reimbursed the wholesale parts price, its out of principle, if there is a 10 year warranty on the defected parts how can't I get reimbursed for the part I bought.

I"ll update when I get a hold of the other guy, before I try a different dealer.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Scumbags, it's being paid by mbusa anyway lol
Old 10-04-2016, 03:48 PM

W211 E63
So today, I decided to visit the parts manager, after he also went missing. What do you know, I finally ran into him and he said that there was nothing he can do, since the part was ordered more then a year ago.

I felt like that was just saying that to get me off his case. So I decided to give MBUSA another call

I just got off the phone with MBUSA, they are going to have someone from the warranty department contact me no later then the end of tomorrow. He said it will most likely get rejected, because from what I explained, the part didn't sound like it got changed because of a leak. But none the less someone will finally give me a definitive no.

The thing that bugs me is that there are so many different ways people indirectly say no. There's too much variation.

So much back and forth. Hopefully I'll close this case with the next post.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:55 PM

W211 E63
Finally a close to this back and forth.

The warranty manager called me today from MBUSA and said unfortunately Mercedes would not be in the position to reimburse me for my part. The car needed to be sent to their shop to check if the car did indeed qualify for the leaky issue.

Maybe someone in the future will have better luck with reimbursement while using an indy mechanic.

Also make sure to mention the gas smell for the reason of trouble.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by fila0220
So I replaced my fuel filter with sender at an Indy last year. Then I stumbled upon this thread and figured I get my money back. I printed out the NHTSA paper work citing the extended warranty on the Fuel pump related issues, and brought my invoice from the indy.

I contacted MBUSA and they told me since I had work done at an indy I wouldn't get reimbursed, after calmly explaining that the NHTSA bulletin says that the warranty is extended, If I boughy the part, how can it not be reimbursed. She put me on hold, and said it shouldn't be a problem and said I need to visit my local dealer and speak to the Service Manager.

I go to my local dealer, see the service manager. I give him the paper work and we go into his office. He then tells me he needs a part number because my indy omitted it. He called a few people at parts, and couldn't come up with a matching invoice. He told me to see him if I find the matching invoice

After taking a week off I was still determined, so went to parts department with the indy invoice, and what do you know, it wasn't the fuel pump, but fuel filter we replaced, still under the extended warranty.

So here is where it gets spooky. I try to contact the service manager, and he mysteriously disappears. He's either at a meeting... all day. I'm told to come back tomorrow. I call maybe 3-4 times, he never picks up, After the nice secretary asks who I am and what I'm calling about. Strange right??

I'll update when I get a hold of the mysterious disappearing SM.

The repair invoice has to read (From an indy or from the MB dealer) that the part was replaced due to leaking fuel, or fuel smell, or something else that you could point it and say "see it's not defective per say, it was leaking gasoline."

Unless you have that specific statement in your invoice, or something thereabouts, you won't get reimbursed.

If you do, then they're now in breach of contract of their new warranty terms. You could try filing with the NHTSA and see if you can escalate it that way, but you need proper documentation.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55 AMG, 05 S2000
hey guys,

I've been reading/searching a bunch on this and i can't find a direct answer. & majority of the MB dealers i'm calling are just plain not helpful and just keep repeating what the computer shows them without a single strand of decency.

Does anyone know if this applies to Canada?(i'm assuming it doesn't) I have this issue with my car & can smell gas when I fill her up (which i stopped doing all the way)

Thank You

Last edited by LoveMyAMG; 02-16-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
We complained loud enough that MB decided it was cheaper to fix it than let the NTSB proceed with the investigation. They will all leak eventually, stir up the Canadian traffic safety board.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Got my brand new tank at Mercedes Benz of Buckhead with no questions asked. They gave me a brand new loaner, car wash and fresh full tank of gas.
I had the same experience when dealing with Mercedes Benz of Walnut Creek, minus the free tank of gas. I did bring it to them damn near empty so I wasn't expecting them to fill it up. Just told them my car smelled like gas after filling it up and that my indy confirmed it. Took it in on a Monday morning and had the car back Tuesday afternoon. They thought they were going to have to order a tank, but found another local dealer that had one in stock so they got it that same day.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C63S
Originally Posted by Strigoi
I had the same experience when dealing with Mercedes Benz of Walnut Creek, minus the free tank of gas. I did bring it to them damn near empty so I wasn't expecting them to fill it up. Just told them my car smelled like gas after filling it up and that my indy confirmed it. Took it in on a Monday morning and had the car back Tuesday afternoon. They thought they were going to have to order a tank, but found another local dealer that had one in stock so they got it that same day.
did they replace your pumps and sender relay, etc?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
So umm this may be a long shot but anyone got their money back here in Canada ? lol
Did anyone even try?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:43 PM

C32 AMG - E55 AMG
CANADIANS chime in!!! lets get this going with NTSB

im starting to smell gas at full tanks! been doing half tanks since... not good!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63 AMG W211 & W203 Sport Pkg
Originally Posted by s14dk
CANADIANS chime in!!! lets get this going with NTSB

im starting to smell gas at full tanks! been doing half tanks since... not good!
I am in, as i had to already replace mine out of pocket
Old 06-07-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
2007 e63 estate, 1998 ITB golf, ITE scirocco (sold to a collector in Japan)
hi. maybe this is the wrong place to post; but, here goes: my dealer told me about two years ago that the STAR report said one of my pumps was going bad. so, i replaced them. now i have a check engine light sporadically that says low fuel pressure on OBD2. i assume that it's the sender as both the pumps are new. however, i had a friend with the STAR thingy run it and it said again that left side pump is not delivering properly (which i know not to be true).

now that i have this warranty thingy the MB mailed to me, do you think my dealer (Smith in Haverhill, MA) will replace it all out of their pocket? do i have to say i smell gas? the truth is that i do not.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:04 PM

05 E55 AMG, 05 S2000
Hey Everyone,
I am from the Toronto, Canada area.
I can't fill more than 1/2 - 3/4 before smelling gas. I haven't done anything with it yet though. Very annoying. I've tried calling stearlerships, headoffice; and I get nothing but rudeness and ignorance.
Count me in for whatever needs to be done.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:05 PM

05 E55 AMG, 05 S2000
Originally Posted by Preet
I am in, as i had to already replace mine out of pocket
mind me asking what exactly you had to replace?
I was hoping it was my gasket for the fuel sender, but I don't think so.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63 AMG W211 & W203 Sport Pkg
Originally Posted by LoveMyAMG
mind me asking what exactly you had to replace?
I was hoping it was my gasket for the fuel sender, but I don't think so.
i had to replace the driver side fuel pump, seal and the electrical connection going to the newer rev pump
Old 07-21-2017, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by red60R
did they replace your pumps and sender relay, etc?
Yes. Everything was replaced.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E63 - MBH Headers - Weistec Tune
Sorry if this is in the thread... I looked for a while...

So my non dealer Mercedes mechanic fixed this issue for me a year ago... it was the fuel pump where it mounted to the tank or such and was related to the exact symptoms... strong gas smell after fill up...

I can get the receipt and such, is there a way to get reimbursed for this at this late date? I just see this thread and my mechanic either didn't know about it or didn't tell me...

thanks
Morgus

----------------

OK, I see now that people are getting reimbursed even if they repair it themselves..

Last edited by Morgus; 07-27-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: I found it