Question For the Guys I trust the Most

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Question For the Guys I trust the Most

When it comes to mods in general and more specifically, mods on the 55k motor, there is no one I trust more than the guys on this forum.

My boss who is a big car nut who owns a Lambo, a Maserati, a Cobra, and more just bought a 2011 G55. He freaking loves the instant grunt of the SC. We were talking and I told him he could really wake that monster up with a few simple mods. He says "oh really."

I am thinking for him some simple mods as he is using the G-Wagon as his winter daily and it must be reliable. My thoughts are a smaller SC pulley, cooling mods, (pump & HE) and a tune. Oh and a scattershield just in case that pulley decides to dynamite. A belt wrap and billet pulleys might be nice to, but that is about it.

This is were you guys come in. Please help me come up with the best mod set up given that we want total reliability and we are adding mostly low end pull to his beast. I don't see him slamming the speed limiter in his massive G-wagon.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Lontubes or mid headers would be the best first mod. Everybody always does the SC pulley first because it's easy and more sexy.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
sc pulley n tune. call it a day
Old 02-27-2015, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
talk to chawkins. bip had a g55 at the clayton half mile that would really move. i think they might have another that they did a weistic swap
Old 02-27-2015, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by cal1
When it comes to mods in general and more specifically, mods on the 55k motor, there is no one I trust more than the guys on this forum.

My boss who is a big car nut who owns a Lambo, a Maserati, a Cobra, and more just bought a 2011 G55. He freaking loves the instant grunt of the SC. We were talking and I told him he could really wake that monster up with a few simple mods. He says "oh really."

I am thinking for him some simple mods as he is using the G-Wagon as his winter daily and it must be reliable. My thoughts are a smaller SC pulley, cooling mods, (pump & HE) and a tune. Oh and a scattershield just in case that pulley decides to dynamite. A belt wrap and billet pulleys might be nice to, but that is about it.

This is were you guys come in. Please help me come up with the best mod set up given that we want total reliability and we are adding mostly low end pull to his beast. I don't see him slamming the speed limiter in his massive G-wagon.
What do you do for a living?

Unless you have an expertise in automotive stuff, I wouldn't recommend anything to your boss.

If it breaks, he may be less than happy that he listened to your advice.

Lastly, the tunes on the G-wagon get higher horsepower, but the higher horsepower doesn't translate to significant performance increases. If you tuned an SL55 or E55, you'd feel the difference, but not so much on a G55. Look at the almost negligible difference in 0-100 kph acceleration times between the current G550 and the current G63 AMG despite their significant power differences.

If you mention the paragraph I stated above, he may be more impressed with you than if you had given him mod advice. If I were your boss, I know I would be.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
headers
Old 02-27-2015, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I'd go tune & HE/pump, then headers if headers could not be done at the same time as the tune.

Originally Posted by patrick_y

Unless you have an expertise in automotive stuff, I wouldn't recommend anything to your boss.

Lastly, the tunes on the G-wagon get higher horsepower, but the higher horsepower doesn't translate to significant performance increases. If you tuned an SL55 or E55, you'd feel the difference, but not so much on a G55. Look at the almost negligible difference in 0-100 kph acceleration times between the current G550 and the current G63 AMG despite their significant power differences.

If you mention the paragraph I stated above, he may be more impressed with you than if you had given him mod advice. If I were your boss, I know I would be.
This is actually good advice.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
Lontubes or mid headers would be the best first mod. Everybody always does the SC pulley first because it's easy and more sexy.
I like it. If I was to do the mods on my SL over, I would start with LTs

Originally Posted by dchl21
sc pulley n tune. call it a day
Simple, good power increase, good mainstream reliable mods.

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
talk to chawkins. bip had a g55 at the clayton half mile that would really move. i think they might have another that they did a weistic swap
Thanks, I will do it.

Been making close to 7 figures on average per year for my boss running his architectural anodizing and paint operation for over a decade now. If the mods I suggested to him resulted in a blown engine, he would not think twice about it. He would probably dump the G and pick up a top end Range Rover in a heart beat. I spend a mil or two a year of his money on cap X projects. Don't think he would get too chitty if is G blew up based on my suggestions.
Originally Posted by AKnight55
headers
headers and a tune. Nice and clean. plenty of extra power.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Headers/tune/cooling. Stay away from exploding parts
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Simple, good power increase, good mainstream reliable mods.
I don't think people would call a s/c pulley reliable yet
Old 02-27-2015, 10:13 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo

Hey my friend, its been a long time!

If you need any help let me know. We have built quite a few of them and have the record for the quickest/fastest 1/4 etc

Old 02-28-2015, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320

Been making close to 7 figures on average per year for my boss running his architectural anodizing and paint operation for over a decade now. If the mods I suggested to him resulted in a blown engine, he would not think twice about it. He would probably dump the G and pick up a top end Range Rover in a heart beat. I spend a mil or two a year of his money on cap X projects. Don't think he would get too chitty if is G blew up based on my suggestions.
Good for you.

A smart ruler knows when to listen to his advisers and when not to. A smart adviser knows when to advise and when to stop advising the ruler.

P.S. There's something slightly prideful about that statement you made. I understand that it's factual, but there's just a tiny hint of overconfidence.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by HeissRod
I don't think people would call a s/c pulley reliable yet
Yeah your right, hence the scattershield, however if one needs a scattershield, that brings reliability into question.

Originally Posted by loungn14
Hey my friend, its been a long time!

If you need any help let me know. We have built quite a few of them and have the record for the quickest/fastest 1/4 etc

Hey Jake, was thinking about you guys. My boss makes the kind of money to just go to RT, but he is a frugal bastad and demands value.

Good for you.

A smart ruler knows when to listen to his advisers and when not to. A smart adviser knows when to advise and when to stop advising the ruler.

P.S. There's something slightly prideful about that statement you made. I understand that it's factual, but there's just a tiny hint of overconfidence.
First off, I just want to make it clear that I don't make that kind of money, my boss does from the plant he owns. The bravado you sense in my post may have been from the fact that the boss and I pulled off a big deal on Friday and I had also been into the single malt.

Your point is well taken and yes my comments are factually correct. One more thing, I suspect my boss will ask me what mods I think could make sense for him on Monday. I like to be prepared and anticipate the boss's questions before he asks them. Posts such as yours help me with that.

Finally, the boss's lambo is modded to the hilt. He is no stranger to the challenges and trade offs that go with the choice to mod.

Last edited by cal1; 02-28-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
He clearly can appreciate over engineered, hand crafted parts made by skilled craftsmen.

Show him Weistec's site.
Pretty sure he wants an 800hp, military grade SUV.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
A set of k&n's, headers and a ecu tune. Is that simple enough? Should net him around 60-70hp & 50-60ftlbs