Want to buy a W211 E55.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL
Want to buy a W211 E55.

Hi everyone,

So I've been a huge fan of this car since it first came out. I've been driving around new cars (lease) for a couple of years now, but I want a car that's a little more fun as my next one. Having never owned a German car, I'm a bit afraid of buying an older one. I've heard terrible things about them, which are more than likely unfounded.

So my question to you guys is, what should I look out for when looking for a car? Are my fears of buying an 8 year old E55 irrational or should I be worried about stuff going bad?

I consider myself mechanically inclined, so I like to do a lot of things myself.

Thanks for your time!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
'16 C63s
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=w211+e55+issues
Old 03-03-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Knowing what I know now, I would have bought a STAR setup first, and then shop around. If you are set on buying a mercedes, and if you are set on doing a lot of DIY, you're going to need this anyway, and by running some simple checks, you can quickly gauge what shape the car is in.

Mechanically, these cars are pretty stout, but some people beat on them pretty hard. Rear subrame bolts can rip out. I found a higher miles, one owner car, which in my mind was important. Avoid many owners, and cars that may not have proper tunes for the mods. (some people sell off the mods separate from the car, and don't flash the tune back)

Stuff that goes, and is pretty diy able are control arm and thrust arm bushings, and ball joints (bad inside tire wear is a dead giveaway) and the intercooler pump.

Big money items are airmatic, and SBC brakes.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
If your looking for a perfect one I have one lol ⬇⬇