W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 "Brake Wear Visit Workshop" after brake job....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Silverado, Cadillac, GL450
E55 "Brake Wear Visit Workshop" after brake job....?

So I decided to change out my front and rear rotors and brakes on my E55 and now I have the "Brake Wear Visit Workshop" on my dash. Are all the sensors supposed to be the same part number? Because 2 of the 3 appear to be the same number and the other one had a bigger gap where the sensor went into the pad. The odd size sensor seemed to fit the outer hole on the brake pad (closer to the rotor) if that makes any sense and it did not seat right where it plugs into the socket. After taking the car for a drive (and the message not clearing) I pulled the back wheel and replaced the (new odd) back sensor with an old sensor, and the old sensor appeared to seat correctly. I started the car and it said No Messages for about 2 seconds then it came back on "Brake Wear Visit Workshop". Will this message go away after a number of cycles or do I need to visit a shop and have it cleared with a STAR? The funny thing is when I pulled the brakes off, the drivers side sensor up front was plugged in but the wires were missing and the piece going to the pad was also gone......and I never had a message during the time the old brakes were on....? Is there an issue if the 2 wires for each sensor touch each other? Would that set off a message?
Man it was a Pain in the A$$ getting those back rotors off, I had to drill out the rotor screw on both back rotors.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by cabowabodude; 04-19-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
The wire sensors should not be missing, that would cause a brake message.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by novae500
The wire sensors should not be missing, that would cause a brake message.
It doesn't matter if the front drivers side sensor is installed or not. That one is a 50% sensor only used for the maintenance reminder system. That one will not give a warning.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Silverado, Cadillac, GL450
So I still have 2 questions.

1) Are all 3 of the brake sensors suppose to be the same part?

2) Is there a way to clear/reset the "Brake Wear Visit Workshop" Message now that it's on and I have the sensors in place?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by cabowabodude
So I still have 2 questions.

1) Are all 3 of the brake sensors suppose to be the same part?

2) Is there a way to clear/reset the "Brake Wear Visit Workshop" Message now that it's on and I have the sensors in place?
The right side sensors are the same. The left front is different and is not needed. There is no reset. If it's plugged in and is new the light should be off.