Retrofitting parking sensors from E55 bumper to E63 rear bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB C43 2004 E55 AMG, 2004 Suzuki GSXR, gl63
Retrofitting parking sensors from E55 bumper to E63 rear bumper

Has anyone done this? Im searching and a lot of people are just assuming you can reuse brackets. The brackets on the E55 are extruded into the rear bumper, the E63 are epoxied in, and to boot they do not fit the E55 type. So my question is if I just buy the E63 sensors would I be able to just modify the harness to accept the new sensors if they don't plug in. Anyone done this?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes
Get the parktronic mounts that are listed in the E63 bumper conversion threads. They attach by double sided tape, and fit the E55 parktronic sensors.

The E63 mounts must be ripped off, so the stick on mounts can fit. I would expoxy over the mounts after they're in place, otherwise water or heavy pressure can dislodge them.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Is the E63's rear bumper actually different or is it just that trim that the sensors are on and the diffuser?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
05 E55 AMG, E320 CDI, Turbo E46 M3,IS300 2JZGTE,VQ35 Turbo Maxima, Mercedes 300D
The E55 is actually a plate that slides into the rear bumper with all four holes. I have not looked at an E63 rear rear bumper, but if it is the same, you may be able to just switch out the plates. They are held in by just latches. I did this when I retrofitted my E55 with parktronic - no need to replace whole bumper .. just get that rear insert plate. In your case, maybe just swap them.

If the E63 rear bumper is solid though, to be clear to the OP, the taped clips is for front bumper conversion. I have done this on front bumper. The same thing can probably be done for rear bumper also.

The mounts will need to be ground off and either epoxy old mounts directly onto the bumper or as JoeNobody said use the ones with adhesive mounts and epoxy over them.

Originally Posted by JoeNobody
Get the parktronic mounts that are listed in the E63 bumper conversion threads. They attach by double sided tape, and fit the E55 parktronic sensors.

The E63 mounts must be ripped off, so the stick on mounts can fit. I would expoxy over the mounts after they're in place, otherwise water or heavy pressure can dislodge them.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
E55, E320 CDI , CLA250, Jag XJ Supersport
Originally Posted by turbo97se
The E55 is actually a plate that slides into the rear bumper with all four holes. I have not looked at an E63 rear rear bumper, but if it is the same, you may be able to just switch out the plates. They are held in by just latches. I did this when I retrofitted my E55 with parktronic - no need to replace whole bumper .. just get that rear insert plate. In your case, maybe just swap them.

If the E63 rear bumper is solid though, to be clear to the OP, the taped clips is for front bumper conversion. I have done this on front bumper. The same thing can probably be done for rear bumper also.

The mounts will need to be ground off and either epoxy old mounts directly onto the bumper or as JoeNobody said use the ones with adhesive mounts and epoxy over them.
I had bad luck using the old e55 mounts on the front bumper. They do not want to line up flush.

I epoxied them in initially with Golf club epoxy, but had one fall out. I redid them with JB Qwik-Weld, but another just fell out. I've prepped the bumper surface very well and roughed it up to give the epoxy some bite, but the bond to the bumper is weak.

I still need to fix it but I'm not sure of the best solution