rear end only sagging ?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 86 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Unhappy rear end only sagging ?!

Well since I have had this car I have had some strange intermittent issues with the airmatic. Had to replace one of the front struts early on. Also have had this on and off issue with airmatic not working at all. Wont raise car or change to sport etc. I would go and mess with relays etc and it would work for a long time then same issue again. Last time I played around it lasted a full year. Last few weeks it hasnt worked hardly at all. Would get too low then next day it would be normal height warning never went away. when I say played around I mean just that. Nothing was replaced. Now today I go out to garage and the rear end is totally bottomed out and undrivable. Front however is just fine. Even heard the pump go on . Rear hasnt moved at all. Both sides in the rear are down. Is there a separate relay, fuse or pump just for the rear ?

I have to say this airmatic is great when working but the problems it gives you when its screwed up arent really worth it. I mean how hard would it have been to make it so the car was still safe and driveable when these parts fail ? Wife's Cayenne goes out and it still stays plenty high. I feel like just tossing the system and getting regular struts. This really is B.S.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
soon to be '04 e55
Have you checked all of your air fittings? If the struts are bad the car will still be standing it will just handle like a school bus, and you will have a loud clunking noise from the trunk area like a "dead body". My guess is that you have some massive leaks in your rear air springs. You can try spraying some soapy swatter on them to look for leaks. Some people have had some luck with finding corrosion on the inlet to the expansion chambers for the air springs. Me I just replaced both springs with Arnott. But if you want a little more piece of mind then go coil over. Have fun, keep us posted with what you find.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
soon to be '04 e55
Or maybe your rear level sensor is fubar.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

where is the rear level sensor ? Is there a second pump or something just for the rear ?

Well I am so fed up with this I opted for coilovers. Should be here on monday and have indy shop install them by Tue. Sounds like they make the car handle much better anyway. I'll try and sell my one newer air shock and recoup some $. I just cant believe they they dont have a system that makes the car still driveable. Crazy IMO.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
The air hose that exits the pump has been known to come loose.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 cls 55 amg
look inside the wheel well behind front bumper ( driver side ) ,you will see the pump...spray some water mix with soap on the fittings
Old 07-03-2015, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm over these issues and fixing it once and for all with some coilovers. Should be here on monday.

I dont see how Mercedes got away with putting such a potentially dangerous "feature" on these cars. Could cause an accident. Our Cayenne has had this issue but still stays plenty high to drive safely. How hard could it be ?