W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL after valve cover gaskets...which hose is loose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
E55(gone), Tesla Model S P90DL, MB GL 450
Unhappy CEL after valve cover gaskets...which hose is loose?

So, about 2 years ago, Shardul offered to help do my valve cover gaskets. As soon as it was done, got a CEL and the throttle was sticky like the gas pedal was stuck when I would rev the engine. He thought it was my throttle body, so I went home to buy another. On the drive home, the gas light came on. Replaced the throttle body and no luck.

I know there's a vacuum leak some where, but I can't figure out where. I believe Shardul pointed out this hose in circled in red, but it appears to be on from both ends.

Where else should I look?? Someone please help..

This is the drivers side of the engine:
Attached Thumbnails CEL after valve cover gaskets...which hose is loose?-img_1896.jpg  
Old 07-24-2015, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
What year is yours? On mine, it is a rigid plastic black tube that runs right along the upper part of the coil packs. It has a bracket that is held down by one of the valve cover bolts in the back right. It turns into a metal tube that has a rubber grommet on it and it goes into a port below the throttle body, but off to the driver's side. Kinda difficult to see.

Have you checked for leaks by letting it idle and gently spraying brake cleaner in the area to see if the idle stumbles?

What code are you getting?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
I'm going to have to make the assumption your putting the large hose from the air box on the upper portion of the valve cover.

So assuming that is true, get a mirror and look at the bottom of the throttle body with a good flash light. Follow all of the breather hoses and try to physically grab them to make sure they are attached and do no have holes worn in them anywhere.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I had this same issue after doing valve cover gaskets. It was found behind the throttle body/supercharger inlet. I know I looked for it off and on for over a year with flashlights, mirrors, etc with zero luck. Finally took it to an indy and he pinpointed the problem through his version of Star and fixed it. I spent over $1,000 getting to that point and was willing to spend the $450 he charged me to get it fixed. I'm on 7 plus months of no CEL's, Thank GOD!~
Old 07-28-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
follow denroll's advice!!!

denroll is right on!!! if you want, little trouble but if you were to remove the drivers side surge tank you will see it very clearly. with it out its like someone is footing the throttle and its reving all on it own!! its a very simple thing but you have to be able to see what it is and where it goes back into the tb. removal of that surge tank will really be an "eye" opener!!! good luck!