Sponsored by:

A/C always turns on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 MB E55 AMG
A/C always turns on

When I first start the car, the A/C will kick in immediately when turning the fan on to get some blowing air. I have the AC Off selected and the front and rear temperature is set to 23C or 73F. I am NOT using Auto for the driver or passenger controls.

All I usually want is the air movement rather than cold air. I seem to have to go through a pattern of hitting the rear temp button then toggle the A/C Off button to get the A/C to finally stop.

Seems like if the temperature of the interior is a certain temp, the A/C will kick in regardless of having the AC Off button selected. Anyone know how I can just run the fan without having the air conditioning kick in? I don't really want to keep my temp at 80F just so that it doesn't trigger the system. Seems to be only at startup too. Once I finally get it turned off it stays off. Something in the startup logic?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
The AC control panel has default programming to continue to run the compressor for a short time even when the "ac off" button is pressed. I think this is for safety, to keep the windows from fogging. After a short period, the compressor will turn off. You can change the version coding with STAR diagnosis to immediately turn the compressor OFF when the button is pushed, without a delay.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63
My 2009 does that too. On my car at least, and probably yours too, the compressor is a variable displacement, clutchless unit which always rotates when the engine is running. These compressors are an older design Denso which start at full stroke after sitting more than an hour and take a few minutes of engine run time to de-stroke back to zero (if the A/C is off). So, during that de-stroking period, the system makes cold air.

It's pretty dam annoying because the evaporator gets wet from the compressor pumping for a few minutes after startup and then you get that odor until the evap is dry again.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:44 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
The AC control panel has default programming to continue to run the compressor for a short time even when the "ac off" button is pressed. I think this is for safety, to keep the windows from fogging. After a short period, the compressor will turn off. You can change the version coding with STAR diagnosis to immediately turn the compressor OFF when the button is pushed, without a delay.
Thanks for your knowledge. I will see if my indi can change the code with STAR. Thanks again. I figured it was something like this.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:46 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG
Originally Posted by hgerhardt
My 2009 does that too. On my car at least, and probably yours too, the compressor is a variable displacement, clutchless unit which always rotates when the engine is running. These compressors are an older design Denso which start at full stroke after sitting more than an hour and take a few minutes of engine run time to de-stroke back to zero (if the A/C is off). So, during that de-stroking period, the system makes cold air.

It's pretty dam annoying because the evaporator gets wet from the compressor pumping for a few minutes after startup and then you get that odor until the evap is dry again.
Thanks for the detailed description. The wet smell is the exact reason why I want to have it shut off when I start the climate control. Sick of the wet dog smell :-)