Sponsored by:

E55 Battery Problem?...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
E55 Battery Problem?...

I was doing a 100 mile trip and noticed over the time of the 100 miles that my cell phone charger wouldn't work and then a little after, the radio shuts off and gives off a low charge message. Then when I make it to my destination, the steering is tough and the red brake lights came on and etc. the alternator light didn't come on though.

What could the issue be? I'm hoping it's not the alternator.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
maybe time for voltage regulator replacement

you should have gotten some warnings that "convenience functions will shutoff" trying to save as much battery power as possible with the car sensing you losing battery. i would not think its the alternator per se, but more so your voltage regulator that goes on the back of the alternator. a bad voltage regulator will prevent your alternator from keeping the battery charged and functioning properly. when the last time you replace the vr?? the vr is only about $50-$60 and would be the first thing to do before buying a whole new or refurbished alternator (cheap first then move on up). a bad vr will make it look like you have a bad alternator where in fact a $50 replacement will make your alternator run like new!!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
You'll be needing an alternator. Don't waste time with the voltage regulator.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Well I took my battery to the local Autozone to have it charged and they told me the battery was bad so I went ahead and bought another one. I also notice a slight burning smell coming from the engine bay. I doubt the regulator has been changed because I was still running the OEM battery from the factory lol.

I guess I'll start with the regulator anyways, I put in the new battery and everything works now and I made it home but, the ESP workshop message came up.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Reset the ESP buy turning the steering wheel lock to lock and hold for a couple seconds.