Sponsored by:

General Questions about minor issues and modding thee beast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang
General Questions about minor issues and modding thee beast

I have owned my 03 e55 for a little over an year and half now and still love her just as much as the day I got her. Though just like every car enthusiast as time settles in our contentment for the car wears off and we start noticing imperfections with the car and of course we want to go faster.

So as I said the car has been fairly great with minimal issues, but recently it started to clunk a little bit under power and hard shifting. With 84k I figured the mounts were probably do so I had a local independent replace both motor and tranny mounts. While it was in I had them do the valve cover gaskets since there was a little bit of bleeding on the passenger side and a total transmission service as well. Now that was about 3 months ago and I have been bitten by the mod bug and wanted to start putting some mods on the car. But as of the last few weeks I have started getting a intermittent oil pressure light. Do our cars have an oil pressure sensor or what, from what I was reading posted on here is our cars have an oil barometer that hooks up by where the oil filter is? So I was hoping someone could help me out with that so I can get that fixed.

Second issue I have been trying to remedy is the famous chirp. After researching the forums a little bit I have seen people say its the supercharger clutch, I have seen some people say it may be tuning related. I was hoping someone had some more insight as some of the posts are kinda all over the place with no real solutions on hand. It used to really bother me but as of lately I have learned to deal with it. I don't mind the little chirp and occasional jerk but every once in awhile when the transition happens when I start rolling into the throttle it really chaps my hide when it happens . But the problem doesn't seem to be as prevalent in summer months as opposed to fall and winter. So I kind of wanted to find a fix to it if possible before I started modding the car.

As far as modding goes I was looking into doing a Eurocharged Stage 1 package and just purchasing the headers separate since they are running a group buy on those. I wasn't really to sold on the TCU software from what I saw. So I figured save a couple bucks to get the crank pulley and save some money overall on the package as well. Has anybody ran this package before? What did you think of the overall fit and finish and are you happy with the results?

Later on down the road I plan on getting some Dr's mounted on separate rims to take to the track. What are some cheap combos that people have ran and what is the best combo to run. I appreciate any insight and help I can get, Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2015, 06:06 PM

Mustang
Bump,,,, come on guys 269 views and not one reply. Just looking for a little insight here anything would be appreciated
Old 08-31-2015, 06:27 PM
Banned

1999 MB C43 2004 E55 AMG, 2004 Suzuki GSXR, gl63
The chirp went away once I changed my belt. Also I have the TCU tune and I wouldn't do it again, the tranny downshifts during moderate braking too much, I feel like it may be detrimental to overall tranny life. Also had the clutch pulley and it blew up on me messing up a bunch of stuff around it. Will be going crank pulley next time.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:46 PM

Mustang
In all of my blown cars in the past I have always done the crank. It just puts too much stress on the bearings with a snout pulley. I appreciate the insight good looking out.

I recently just replaced the belt and it still does it intermittently. It has to be that damn clutch on the pulley that's the only thing that makes sense but for the life of me I can't figure out why people just haven't bypassed it and went with a fixed one. Do you know of anyone who has ran a fixed pulley and if so did it fix the problem?

Last edited by 1slosnake; 08-31-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Because the fixed pulley tuning is a PITA.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
If you hear a rpm dependent sound (I really can't make sounds come alive in words), and you're at a red light waiting try to turn on the AC and turn it off after 2-3 seconds. Does it stop? If so, it's the AC compressor spinning bc the magnetic switch didn't disengage. This is no biggy and the fix I just explained is a free fix. I have it on two cars and it doesn't bother me since I know it's nothing bad.

So, it's worth a try to see if that works for you guys.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
I'm more concerned about your oil pressure light. Not sure I would be driving it. I don't know when it comes on. In American cars it comes on the under 8 lbs.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:55 PM

Mustang

Last edited by 1slosnake; 10-24-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:01 PM

Mustang
Ok I figured I would reupdate this since I have been away for awhile. LS1toAMG I was with you first time I saw the light I pooed my roos. Pulled over and checked the first couple times it happened but everything appeared to be fine. So I knew it had to be an sensor issue of sorts, also how intermittent the light would come on give me a good indication that it wasn't a major issue. But now with the temps cooling under 80 degrees out here in Vegas the light hasn't come on in over a week. Butttttt now I am getting an interesting plunger sound while I begin to brake, is it due to air in the sbc that is indicative of only making noise in cooler weather? It happened for a little while last year but cleared up for the summer. I love this car but man is it really starting to **** me off
Old 10-25-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
2004 W211 E55 AMG >>gone but not forgotten > W123 280E > W124 E280 > W126 380SE
Originally Posted by 1slosnake
I have owned my 03 e55 for a little over an year and half now and still love her just as much as the day I got her. Though just like every car enthusiast as time settles in our contentment for the car wears off and we start noticing imperfections with the car and of course we want to go faster.

So as I said the car has been fairly great with minimal issues, but recently it started to clunk a little bit under power and hard shifting. With 84k I figured the mounts were probably do so I had a local independent replace both motor and tranny mounts. While it was in I had them do the valve cover gaskets since there was a little bit of bleeding on the passenger side and a total transmission service as well. Now that was about 3 months ago and I have been bitten by the mod bug and wanted to start putting some mods on the car. But as of the last few weeks I have started getting a intermittent oil pressure light. Do our cars have an oil pressure sensor or what, from what I was reading posted on here is our cars have an oil barometer that hooks up by where the oil filter is? So I was hoping someone could help me out with that so I can get that fixed.

Second issue I have been trying to remedy is the famous chirp. After researching the forums a little bit I have seen people say its the supercharger clutch, I have seen some people say it may be tuning related. I was hoping someone had some more insight as some of the posts are kinda all over the place with no real solutions on hand. It used to really bother me but as of lately I have learned to deal with it. I don't mind the little chirp and occasional jerk but every once in awhile when the transition happens when I start rolling into the throttle it really chaps my hide when it happens . But the problem doesn't seem to be as prevalent in summer months as opposed to fall and winter. So I kind of wanted to find a fix to it if possible before I started modding the car.

As far as modding goes I was looking into doing a Eurocharged Stage 1 package and just purchasing the headers separate since they are running a group buy on those. I wasn't really to sold on the TCU software from what I saw. So I figured save a couple bucks to get the crank pulley and save some money overall on the package as well. Has anybody ran this package before? What did you think of the overall fit and finish and are you happy with the results?

Later on down the road I plan on getting some Dr's mounted on separate rims to take to the track. What are some cheap combos that people have ran and what is the best combo to run. I appreciate any insight and help I can get, Thanks in advance
Originally Posted by 1slosnake
Ok I figured I would reupdate this since I have been away for awhile. LS1toAMG I was with you first time I saw the light I pooed my roos. Pulled over and checked the first couple times it happened but everything appeared to be fine. So I knew it had to be an sensor issue of sorts, also how intermittent the light would come on give me a good indication that it wasn't a major issue. But now with the temps cooling under 80 degrees out here in Vegas the light hasn't come on in over a week. Butttttt now I am getting an interesting plunger sound while I begin to brake, is it due to air in the sbc that is indicative of only making noise in cooler weather? It happened for a little while last year but cleared up for the summer. I love this car but man is it really starting to **** me off
Motor and tranny mounts both have to be replaced reasonably regularly with these cars also the SBC unit has a limited life so always budget for that. The air shocks will give up the ghost eventually and then it's time to decide if you want to replace again down the track or change to coilovers with lowering links for the same or less money and you wont need to touch them again.

As for mods I've tried both 84mm supercharger and 180mm crank pulleys and I reckon the crank is the way to go although I would make sure you get headers at the same time or even first. They let the beast breathe and pull a little heat away from that hot block.

Have fun with her anyway; once she really starts pulling hard you'll get a serious case of mod fever...
Old 10-25-2015, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheTherapist

Have fun with her anyway; once she really starts pulling hard you'll get a serious case of mod fever...
This is true and definitely an understatement once you start and gain some power you'll get used to it so quickly that you need more. It's like a drug...
Old 10-25-2015, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
IMO the hardest part of modding is setting your hp/et goal and going from there. If your aiming high go with a pair of lontubes. If your shooting for the 11.7 range you can get there or close with 83mm, H/E,tune and mid headers. Will be in the 480rwhp range.
Old 10-25-2015, 09:34 PM

Mustang
Just to set the tone guys I have owned many several 10 second mustangs. I am not too worried about the speed of the car. As fun as it is in the straights I want this damn thing to function properly first and foremost. I will not put mod money into something if I feel it is a sinking ship and unfortunately I feel these cars are really going that direction. I need to fix the issues before moving forward. Going fast is all fine and dandy but I am too old to deal with little issues anymore
Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Banned

We all want working cars and little things going bad bother me just as much as big ones. These cars are made to last if you take care of them. Of course ghettos and college kids who buy these $100k cars now for under $20k most likely don't care as much as wiser people. I've seen it. Rolling up because they want stuff done but can't take care of the most basic things bc the money is not there.