W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm ready to throw in the towel.....Suspension.....Bearing.....??????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG, Silverado, Cadillac, GL450
I'm ready to throw in the towel.....Suspension.....Bearing.....??????

Background:

Purchased my car from my Bro in-law (70K miles, it's now at 75K) he always had everything done at the Benz dealer, and I mean a book of receipts like the New York City phone book. So I had the dealer put on new back tires and told him to balance the front tires because the car pulled slightly too the right at highways speeds, with no shake in the steering wheel.

Come to find out one of the front rims in bent (inside portion) after I did a full brake job. Hum so maybe the rim balanced out? But I think it may have caused my issue.

Problem:

The car started to make a squeak sound (front drivers side) ONLY when going over big bumps in the road, then small bumps. NOW the car is making the squeaking sound all the time.....like when I turn the wheel left and right, step on the brakes, roll over an ant or pebble.....etc. There are NO codes showing and the airmatic had been replaced by the dealer in the past.

I know some people are going to say lower wheel bearing, but the wheel does not seem to move left or right when I try to move it. It seems to be more of an issue when moving the wheel with your hands on the 12 O'clock and 6 O'clock position. I took it to an old MB guy who was more focused on the rim than on the problem. He thought the ball joints were good and it might be a wheel bearing. He said get the rim fixed, then focus on the problem. I know I need to get the rim fixed but I can't stand driving the car down the road and having people look at me like someone is having sex on a squeaking bed. I would have no issue tackling the issue if I was confident what was wrong!!!! If I had a decent Indy shop around me (WI/IL) I would consider taking it in.

Thoughts......?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Upper ball joint. Held on by 3 torq bolts. Mine made more noises than Ron Jeremy seconds from climax
Old 09-28-2015, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
lower ball joints very very common
Old 09-28-2015, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
My old car squeaked like crazy when the lower ball joint was bad. Get it checked out and they're only $40/ ea to replace
Old 09-28-2015, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Sounds like a ball joint to me.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
Spray some lube on the sway bar bushings, then get a needle for your grease gun and grease the ball joints through the rubber. Test drive everything one at a time so you know when you hit the right one, then replace it.