W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to install ball joints,tie rods,upd camber arms,etc. what am i missing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
06cls
Getting ready to install ball joints,tie rods,upd camber arms,etc. what am i missing?

getting tired of replacing items one by one, so i am going to replace most of the suspension components over the winter.

so far in my possession, both lower and upper ball joints, tie rods inner and outer, sway bar ball joints, and replace rear camber arms with upd kit. cabin filter, kit for oil change.

i have the car lowered , i attached a pic of height.

so what else should i look into changing while i have the car apart?

I guess my biggest question in though once i replace all these alignment components, whats the best way to get this car dialed in so i can drive it 15 miles to MB dealer for an alignment and will they give me crap on doing a alignment with upd camber arms kit?

thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Getting ready to install ball joints,tie rods,upd camber arms,etc. what am i missing?-img_20151006_090239043.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 AM

06cls
bueler?
Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 71 Posts
E55
The thrust arm bushings are a very common issue. Install the newer solid bushings. You may also need lower control arm bushings.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:03 AM

06cls
whats teh best way to figure out if they are in need? car has 65k but PO must of lived on dirt rd or something as my side skirts look like they have been sand blasted as well as the clear bra right before the wheels have massive wear on them. that and seems like im changing a ball joint here and there, drives fine for a bit then something else goes suspension related.

anyone have any input on how to get the alignment close enough to be able to drive to dealer for alignment?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:55 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by 06cls55amg
whats teh best way to figure out if they are in need? car has 65k but PO must of lived on dirt rd or something as my side skirts look like they have been sand blasted as well as the clear bra right before the wheels have massive wear on them. that and seems like im changing a ball joint here and there, drives fine for a bit then something else goes suspension related.

anyone have any input on how to get the alignment close enough to be able to drive to dealer for alignment?
I measured from the frame to the outer brake caliper edge before taking things part, to get the toe set close. After removing the OEM camber arm, I then laid the UPD camber over the stock and adjusted it to align with the stock holes. The alignment guy was able to easily set up my custom alignment needs from there.

You may want to change trans mount and engine mounts, since it sounds like you drive rough roads and have a few miles now.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 10-09-2015, 11:26 AM

06cls
i dont but the po must have. CT roads arent the best though either. is there a way to test the mounts before i spend more money ? thanks for the alignment info
Old 10-10-2015, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
What about sway bar bushings, while you swap the sway bar end links?

Don't forget the thrust arms left and right, those bushings go bad.

I'm doing the same on my car. They sell an entire 12 piece kit for the front minus the sway bar bushings and end links. GL!
Old 10-10-2015, 10:37 AM

06cls
read that way bar bushing are not replaceable and you need to purchase entire sway bar. other wise i did buy replacement end links