Sponsored by:

Airmatic ECU took a dump!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55
Airmatic ECU took a dump!

Hey all I have an issue with my airmatic. Coming home through roadworks I hit a black un marked speed bump doing about 30mkh Straight after I had the airmatic visit workshop warning pop up. The next day I noticed the Shock button and height button would not light up. I then had a display faulty visit workshop show up along with the airmatic warning. I got the car On SDS and the ecu is dead. Star can not communicate with it. I got a code from the cluster error which lead me to a service bulletin below.

Suspension Control Module: Customer Interest
Suspension - Display Faulty Message Displayed
Date: January 13, 2009
Order No.: P-B-32.22/73
Supersedes:
Group: 32
SUBJECT:
All Model 211 Vehicles, up to Series Production 4/2003
Equipped with Airmatic Suspension (Sales Code 489) "Display Fault Visit Workshop" and Airmatic Symbol Displayed within Instrument Cluster
If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of the following yellow message "Display Faulty Visit Workshop" combined with an
Airmatic suspension symbol (vehicle with an up arrow) displayed within the instrument cluster's multifunction display, replace the airmatic control
module with a revised part. Refer to WIS document AR32.22-P-6000T.
This issue only occurs in a limited production period of vehicles with modification year 03/0. The variant coding can be read through the instrument
cluster.
Affected Airmatic control units: A211 545 17 32 and A211 545 31 32 with Q2 software release 11/03.
Affected instrument clusters: A211 540 45 11, A211 540 46 11, A211 540 47 11, A211 540 55 11, A211 540 56 11 and A211 540 57 11.
If this issue occurs in vehicles which are not fitted with the above mentioned affected part numbers, then the fault is due to a problem with CAN
communication.
Note:
This issue is caused by the re-initialization of the Airmatic control unit after startup which may sporadically last too long. This occurs if the control
unit was awoken (example: by opening a door) but was not activated immediately thereafter, but only after a period of time which allowed the
Airmatic control unit to return to sleep mode. As of approximately 03/2003, the instrument cluster detects initialization of the Airmatic control unit
and outputs an error message if this remains on too long. In this case fault code 9107 (Communication Error with Air Suspension Control Unit
Faulty) is stored within the instrument cluster's fault memory

So question is can the ecu be rewoken up and if not can a second hand unit with matching numbers be coded to work in my car?

Cheers Reece
Old 10-18-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
04 e55
Not sure of the answer to your question, but it may be a good time to consider coilover replacement,,, the airmatics replacements are reasonable priced if everything is working correctly but if you have deeper issues just eliminate everything and go with steel coils,,, just my .02 cents,,, good luck