W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I get the E55?
Yes
27.27%
No
72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

E55 AMG W211 - should I get one???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None yet, but I hope to get an E55 soon.
E55 AMG W211 - should I get one???

I am a 15-year old from the US looking to get my first car in about a year. I am deciding between a W211 E55 AMG and a 2009-2011 Mazda RX-8. My budget is around $10,000, and after I did some searching on cars.com, I found a handful of RX-8s and two E55s under $10,000. I heard from some people that the RX-8's engine stops working at around 80,000 miles, but I think it only affects 2004-2006 models. As for the E55, I don't know much about it's problems and issues, but I think one user here on MBWorld said that the 2005 model corrected some of the issues 2003-2004 models had. I want to know some tips and feedback from E55 owners, should I get one as my first car? I know a lot about cars and the E55 W211 is one of my favorite cars of all time.

Here are the two E55s I found on cars.com that are under $10,000:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0241/overview/
2003 E55 AMG, $9,990, 143,000 miles

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6550/overview/
2005 E55 AMG, $9,995, 181,150 miles
Old 05-02-2016, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
E55
The W211 is a pretty solid car. I probably would get something a little less demanding as a first car. How much are you willing to spend on maintenance and break downs? Do you have the income to support a car that could cost thousands of dollars to fix if something went wrong? If not, I would suggest looking for a less expensive car (maintenance) if you are not footing the bill.

Best of luck on your search. They are fast cars...they can bite your *** if you get a little to confident. Also, as young as you are (I am 25) keep the speed down on the street. I know how hard it is to not floor it on the highway and act a fool, take it to the track if you get the urge once you purchase one.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2000UZJ
The W211 is a pretty solid car. I probably would get something a little less demanding as a first car. How much are you willing to spend on maintenance and break downs? Do you have the income to support a car that could cost thousands of dollars to fix if something went wrong? If not, I would suggest looking for a less expensive car (maintenance) if you are not footing the bill.

Best of luck on your search. They are fast cars...they can bite your *** if you get a little to confident. Also, as young as you are (I am 25) keep the speed down on the street. I know how hard it is to not floor it on the highway and act a fool, take it to the track if you get the urge once you purchase one.
I am willing to spend up to $500-$1000 on maintenance for the car. I am also willing to try to replace the parts on my own if I can. I applied for my first job at McDonald's today, and if I get the job, I will be able to make the money for maintenance and parts in about 2-5 weeks. It's pretty much obvious that I will not act like a maniac and floor it on the highway (I will know more when I go to drivers ed this summer). If I want to push the E55 to the limit, Gateway Motorsports Park (it once hosted NASCAR events) is about 30 minutes away from where I live. My mom is more concerned about the insurance, how much is it for the E55?
Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by ford_gt_freak
I am willing to spend up to $500-$1000 on maintenance for the car. I am also willing to try to replace the parts on my own if I can. I applied for my first job at McDonald's today, and if I get the job, I will be able to make the money for maintenance and parts in about 2-5 weeks. It's pretty much obvious that I will not act like a maniac and floor it on the highway (I will know more when I go to drivers ed this summer). If I want to push the E55 to the limit, Gateway Motorsports Park (it once hosted NASCAR events) is about 30 minutes away from where I live. My mom is more concerned about the insurance, how much is it for the E55?
$500-$1000 in what time frame? The simplest of problems can swallow a half years income if it gets out of hand (electrical, engine, etc). Insurance will be the deal breaker for you. Insurance companies will look at you with a maximum risk. First car, first time policy holder with a 500HP sedan that can achieve fatal accident speeds very quickly. I would obtain a few quotes, it will be in the $200+ per month or more. They will try to price you out so you are not a liability to them. Regardless of how you look at it and how responsible you are, the agent does not know you and they go off formulas and statistics. They are very bad for your age group even with slow base model cars.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Insurance will be the deal killer for starters and maintaince will be very high.
My hat goes off to you for as wanting an E55. I wanted a Mustang GT when I was your age (at the time they had 225 hp and ran the 1/4 in 14.5 & 92 mph...
I am going to be a total jerk in some ways but consider it tough love!!!
Mommy and Daddy know about how fast the car is? This will make you want one if these even more but you are basically looking at buying a loaded gun where you will end up killing yourself, other riders in the car, or even worse innocent people. Plus, there is always the chance of you "flipping the keys" to a kid in the high school you look up to for a ride and they kill themselves, the passengers, or innocent people with the car.

Your brain us simply not developed enough to handle the power (and intoxicating adrenaline rush) that comes with having the car. Most everyone in this forum are likely 2x - 3x your age and struggle with holding back. It's the nature of being a guy...

In time my friend, in time...

For now save your money. Great work ethic and drive getting a job and wanting to WORK for something!!!

Last edited by BlackHammer; 05-02-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
NO! THIS IS NOT THE CAR FOR YOU! WORK , SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GOTO SCHOOL!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts
E63 AMG 2007
As an older parent of two now grown boys my perspective is somewhat different. New drivers, especially male, make mistakes in judgement. My duty would be to insure to the best of my ability that your mistakes would not include any fatal ones. These cars would be on my "hell no" list.

That said, imagine you are an unnaturally mature, Eagle Scout, honor student sort of son. If your budget is $10k you need to find a 5k E55 so you can fix what will inevitably be broken once you get it home, and have you investigated insuring one of these cars? Could you make this work on your after purchase budget?

Something more appropriate, maybe a 2005 to 2009 E series non-AMG (maybe a wagon would be cool). Learn some wrenching skills, do your own oil changes, replace the brakes when they need it, change spark plugs, install some coilovers, and accumulate some tools. Work on a clean driving record of 25k or 50k miles. Then sell your mechanically up to date, detailed and tastefully modded Mercedes and look for an AMG.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Received 182 Likes on 86 Posts
W211 E55, Nissan Z31/R30/R31/D21
First of all at $10k, you won't be able to get a very nice E55. That E55 is likely to need a ton of work on an ongoing basis. I would argue $2-3k per year at minimum wouldn't be out of the question. Next, the insurance is going to kill you. Especially after your first ticket. Lastly, I would never buy my 16 year old anything like this as their first car (or let them buy it themselves). I don't know you but I was once 16 and teens do dumb ***** in general.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
10k ?? do a clk 55
Old 05-02-2016, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
Insurance will be the deal killer for starters and maintaince will be very high.
My hat goes off to you for as wanting an E55. I wanted a Mustang GT when I was your age (at the time they had 225 hp and ran the 1/4 in 14.5 & 92 mph...
I am going to be a total jerk in some ways but consider it tough love!!!
Mommy and Daddy know about how fast the car is? This will make you want one if these even more but you are basically looking at buying a loaded gun where you will end up killing yourself, other riders in the car, or even worse innocent people. Plus, there is always the chance of you "flipping the keys" to a kid in the high school you look up to for a ride and they kill themselves, the passengers, or innocent people with the car.

Your brain us simply not developed enough to handle the power (and intoxicating adrenaline rush) that comes with having the car. Most everyone in this forum are likely 2x - 3x your age and struggle with holding back. It's the nature of being a guy...

In time my friend, in time...

For now save your money. Great work ethic and drive getting a job and wanting to WORK for something!!!
I have done some more research on this forum about the E55 and I will consider these facts when buying it. I go to a private Christian school with 25 kids in the school (all of the kids are really nice), so chances of "flipping the keys" are almost impossible. I think it's best to avoid insurance for this car. If I'm going to get an E55, I will be sure it comes with a warranty and make sure it has been properly maintained. Doing some research in the W211 subforum, I found that the engine and gearbox are built like a tank, and will be reliable for at least 250,000 miles stock, but a tuned engine will stress out the components more and will be prone to more problems. I found out that electronics are the main problem with used E55s. I am well aware of some of the problems you have told me and I will be going to driver's ed this summer to learn more about road safety. One member of this forum said that with a warranty, he got his transmission and limited slip differential fixed as well as a rental car for just $250. I might consider buying it after I'm finished with driver's ed, I will have a mechanic look at some of the problems, and will try to work on it on my own or make the money for repair costs until I get my driver's license.

Last edited by ford_gt_freak; 05-02-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts
2019 Jeep Trackhawk, 2002 CLK55, 2014 911 Carrera
First of all, congratulations on the big milestone of getting your license! I started mowing lawns and saving money when I was 14 to get my first car: a 1967 Mustang with a 289. I've been in your shoes, and I know having a 400+hp car sounds awesome, but it just isn't the right car for a first time driver. I always tell people that it's the perfect car if you have $25k to spend: $17k for the car, $5k for mods, and at least $3k in reserve for maintenance. This also assumes you have some disposable income because you might blow through the $3k reserve very quickly if you have SBC or airmatic problems. And then there's tires...

I don't know what $10k will get in today's market, but I would look for something small and nimble; something that won't kill you when you have a lapse of judgement. And you will have the occasional lapse in judgement, trust me on that. I'm lucky I survived all of mine, and that was in a 200hp car.

I don't mean to sound like an old fart, but I guess I am. ;-) Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I'm 23 with a clean driving record. Insurance for my E55 is $175/month. Add on another $50 per week (or every other week) for gas and you're looking at $300+/month in running costs. If you can't put aside at least this much every month you are not going to enjoy the car.

God forbid anything goes wrong with the car either. A suspension job could run you into the ground.

I'm not saying don't go do it. If I had the money a few years ago I would have loved an AMG. But for a first car? Not a great idea.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:26 PM

2003 E320 (W211) also starting to look for a CL55 or E55
NO not worth it buying a less than $10,000 E55 is like playing with a hand grenade without the pin in it, its not a matter of if something will go wrong, it more of how soon will it have major problems
Old 05-02-2016, 07:22 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by ford_gt_freak
I have done some more research on this forum about the E55 and I will consider these facts when buying it. I go to a private Christian school with 25 kids in the school (all of the kids are really nice), so chances of "flipping the keys" are almost impossible. I think it's best to avoid insurance for this car. If I'm going to get an E55, I will be sure it comes with a warranty and make sure it has been properly maintained. Doing some research in the W211 subforum, I found that the engine and gearbox are built like a tank, and will be reliable for at least 250,000 miles stock, but a tuned engine will stress out the components more and will be prone to more problems. I found out that electronics are the main problem with used E55s. I am well aware of some of the problems you have told me and I will be going to driver's ed this summer to learn more about road safety. One member of this forum said that with a warranty, he got his transmission and limited slip differential fixed as well as a rental car for just $250. I might consider buying it after I'm finished with driver's ed, I will have a mechanic look at some of the problems, and will try to work on it on my own or make the money for repair costs until I get my driver's license.
You are a class act, very well written, and read. Regardless of whatever advice and logic comes out of this thread you will do what you want. It's human nature...
My son who went to Christian school got a ticket (107 in a 55) in a Lexus ES 300.
I asked him "why 107?" He said "I was late for curfew and he was glad the car didn't accelerate at a faster rate or the speed would have been higher."
So the "Christian school" stuff doesn't buy anyone (including you) any logic when it comes to 4-wheels and motors!
Good luck in whatever you do.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but I'll give you my two-cents on another car you should consider. Take a serious look at an '07 C230 Sport. That's what I had before the E55 and I LOVED it! My daughter was going to get it as her first car, but it got totaled. (that's how I came into the E55).

I personally think that generation of the C-class was the best looking, and the '07s had the best wheels. The braking and handling was actually better than the E55 IMHO, and the interior was just as nice. You should be able to get a nice one with < 100k miles for under $10k
Old 05-02-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
e55 amg
Stop feeding the troll. The Mcdonalds thing was a dead giveaway. After the fact his next choice was an rx8. Some of you are so gullible its sickening.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ruthle55:
Hulk (05-03-2016), Rocman8 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ruthle55
Stop feeding the troll. The Mcdonalds thing was a dead giveaway. After the fact his next choice was an rx8. Some of you are so gullible its sickening.
I'm sorry if I made you vomit.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Would look for something reliable, You like many wont be able to afford, want, and keep maintaining these old cars. It will go to crap and you will sell it and lose money. Not worth it. Get a turbo 4 cyl. You're 15. why would you want to look like your driving your dads car?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
I agree with the message that the majority of these Benz owners are trying to relay. No one here is trying to bring your hopes down. We're just speaking from experience and past frustration on expensive repairs / maintenance. For the most part, we all try to give honest advice to help one another.

In your situation as a 15 year old, I personally think it'd be best to get more of a "fun car" suitable for your age. I understand that "if" you had an E55, you'd probably be the guy with the fastest car in school. Sure, you'll get plenty of people complimenting you from day to day. However, do think about the cons as well. You can be getting compliments one day, then laughed at the next day. Simply because your "AMG" needs repairs and you can't afford to pay for. That car will be sitting in your driveway for days if not weeks. You may end up having buyers remorse.

Another thing to consider is... the two E55's that you're looking at for sale are high in miles. Not only do you not know what issues the cars have, you "should" have lots of money prepared to spend just to make sure that these cars have had the required maintenance done (...before bigger problems arise).
Old 05-02-2016, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Buy a 10k E55? Then have 10-15k saved for repairs that will or already need attention. Does 10k still sound like a good deal?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2004 E55
I would say if you are dead set on an MB and have 10K find a nice used CLK55 or C55 (Much harder to find I know I was looking for another)... if you want the tuneability find a pampered C32.
I loved my C55 and that car is about the most reliable MB you could buy in the mid aughts. and at 369 HP stock it is no slouch, I believe only .3 seconds off of the E55K 0-60

the first Gen E55 is also a very reliable car, and can be had for a decent price.

I would suggest getting a first car that the parts aren't expensive on and that you can learn to work on. I would personally lean toward a something like a VW GTI.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 AM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by Ruthle55
I have to say my antenna went up a bit on the McDonalds job comment. I have ran more than my share of pranks on people (remember when there was no caller ID?) and try to keep things pretty real.

You are probably right but hats off to whoever put the post together. Funnier than hell and I can't stop chucking thinking about the post, responses from the author, and others on the forum engaging in the thread (including me).

Still can't stop laughing on the situation. Well done whoever did it. I wonder if they hit the BMW and Lambo sites, too?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
You seem smart...you should probably realize financial stability and saving for your future over blowing thousands to look cool and have a loud car that can do burnouts. Save your money and spend carefully, that way in the future you can blow your money on real sports cars (sorry 211 guys, these things aren't real sports cars) that make people drool if your concerned about how you look.

Looking like you have money is not a great way to live life...especially when you pull into your AMLI apartment and your driving a car that is keeping you from achieving a nice bed and a great view of the city. Being able to take your family out to dinner or treating her to a 2 day trip to Miami to eat at the best restaurants and stay in the nicest hotel is possible on Mcdonalds wage if you save and spend properly. You'll never do that if you blow money on a 10K car...I hate to pop your excitement bubble but having a Executive Saloon from Germany is not all that made out to be...don't drink the lemonade

Last edited by 2000UZJ; 05-03-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 182 Likes on 86 Posts
W211 E55, Nissan Z31/R30/R31/D21
You also mentioned getting a car with a warranty. Have you priced out a warranty for a high mileage E55 (That's what you will be looking at with a $10k budget). The higher the mileage, the higher the cost of the warranty. I would estimate the warranty would cost an additional $5-8k. No $10k car is going to come with a decent warranty at that price point.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:32 PM

e55 amg 2005
Divine treasure

Persuing a dream is what makes all of us make our best effort in life...dont let anyone take it away form you... once thats been said.... Being young its a divine treasure so you will have enough time to pay for your mistakes...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 AMG W211 - should I get one???