Sponsored by:

Airmatic keeps going up... Really high!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Airmatic keeps going up... Really high!

So, the car is actually a 2005 e500... But I'm posting here since the suspension system is identical and there seem to be more technical members in the e55 section.

I bought this car cheap, it didn't run due to someone trying to diagnose an airmatic problem. The car would not raise and in the process of trying to find out why, the "mechanic" jumped a wire and fried a the airmatic unit. The car would not start when I bought it and I ended up replaces a few modules before narrowing it down to the airmatic module itself (it was clogging the can network).

After replacing it, the car started... But the airmatic still wouldn't work properly.

I hooked the car up to STAR and raised the car manually, so that it can be moveable.

It lifted fine, no leaks or anything... Except when I lifted the front using the automatic setting within STAR... The front kept going up until I had to shut the car off in fear of the car raising too high and damaging the bags.

So, the car stayed high up front and normal in the back. Yet, when I start the car it still says "stop, car too low". Which leads me to believe that the car doesn't know how high it is up front.

Any ideas on this?

Also, the airmatic buttons light up but the height doesn't change and I also get an airmatic "display error"

When I lifted the
Old 05-06-2016, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
E55 AMG (SOLD), EvoSport CLK (SOLD), 2013 GsxR 750 (SOLD)
pics?
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (07-27-2021)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:50 AM

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
E55 AMG
Check that your front links are intact and that your ride sensors are not damaged or anything. You should see them right beside the strut itself.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts
E55
the new airmatic module needs to go through the 'initial startup" process in star. the level sensor values need to be taught in at a specific level of the vehicle.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by cwmateiuc
So, the car is actually a 2005 e500... But I'm posting here since the suspension system is identical and there seem to be more technical members in the e55 section.

I bought this car cheap, it didn't run due to someone trying to diagnose an airmatic problem. The car would not raise and in the process of trying to find out why, the "mechanic" jumped a wire and fried a the airmatic unit. The car would not start when I bought it and I ended up replaces a few modules before narrowing it down to the airmatic module itself (it was clogging the can network).

After replacing it, the car started... But the airmatic still wouldn't work properly.

I hooked the car up to STAR and raised the car manually, so that it can be moveable.

It lifted fine, no leaks or anything... Except when I lifted the front using the automatic setting within STAR... The front kept going up until I had to shut the car off in fear of the car raising too high and damaging the bags.

So, the car stayed high up front and normal in the back. Yet, when I start the car it still says "stop, car too low". Which leads me to believe that the car doesn't know how high it is up front.

Any ideas on this?

Also, the airmatic buttons light up but the height doesn't change and I also get an airmatic "display error"

When I lifted the

There are no airmatic buttons that light up.. what lights up on the console are either, the 2 stages of suspension dampening(one button, 2 lights) or, the air system raising button for speedbumps etc..which raises the front pretty high.. if that button is lit up on the shifter console, then turn it off and the front will lower probably by over an inch and a half