Sponsored by:

2005 E55 AMG Airmatic Rear Suspension Drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Any news? Btw I am installing arnotts on the front tomorrow. Now will have arnotts all around. Anyone know if I need to hookup star after? Or recalibrate the ride height? Or what do I ask them to to with star.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I went to my indy over the weekend - no codes but the suspension still drops randomly to about 23.5" (from 25.5") when I unlock the key. I think it may be a self-leveling issue. I had him raise the front struts to 26.5" so that when it settles down over a long period of time, it won't go down to 24". I'll have to track and see if this does anything for the rear.

You should definitely have your indy recalibrate after installing the new fronts.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Usually no need to recal when changing struts
Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Is an alignment needed before or after adjusting the heights via STAR?
Old 02-23-2017, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
If you are lowering or raising you need an alignment
Old 02-23-2017, 04:48 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Hulk
Usually no need to recal when changing struts
agreed...the car itself doesn't care much about the strut. the sensor determines if the car is level along with other body sensors and airmatic computer adjusts accordingly.

i'd recommend further diagnosis with latest STAR system if you haven't already done so. for example, one of my body acceleration sensors was faulty and my ELM did not work with no dash codes. i figured the ELM was junk. 1.5 years later my buddy does some work on my car and decides to use his new scanner to scan for all codes. found a bunch of past airmatic codes which he cleared. soon after i received a brief visit workshop dash item that went away. Had my buddy scan once again and only one fault appeared, for a body acceleration sensor. i replaced the sensor, and suddenly my ELM was working like a charm. mind you...factory lowering and suspension function was working this entire time.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 PM

2005 E55 AMG
My indy checked for all codes and found nothing. We're all at a loss.

After checking on the car about 10 times these past two weeks by simply unlocking the car without starting the engine, the rear dropped 3 times in those. It seems to be random when it wants to drop.

Twice I would unlock the car (but not start engine) and there would be air releasing. Before the rear sinks all the way down, I start the engine and hit the raise car button but that only seems to raise the front and the rear continues to sink. After shutting and restarting the car multiple times, the rear would still not raise. Sometimes though, restarting the engine multiple times does raise the rear. Other times after a few hours or waiting until the next day, I'd would start the engine and it would raise the rear back up.

Another time, I would finish driving for about 40 mins and shut the engine, I hear the air release and the rear goes down. Wait about 20 mins, started the engine and the rear raises back up.

It seems to not know when to self-level and when it does self-level, it doesn't self-level correctly. It seems to always want to drop the rear. And it does this randomly. Other times I can unlock the car, start engine and drive it no problem. No leaks or anything, car would stay up for weeks.

I really believe it's an electronic issue, just not sure which yet.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
I wonder if the rear arnotts are defective?
Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Had the same issue before I swapped to the Arnotts and for both struts to drop after swap is a very very high coincidence.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A Merc
Wow, you have went through pretty much everything. This will take time and patience going through the can etc
Old 02-27-2017, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by 2K5E55AMG
My indy checked for all codes and found nothing. We're all at a loss.

After checking on the car about 10 times these past two weeks by simply unlocking the car without starting the engine, the rear dropped 3 times in those. It seems to be random when it wants to drop.

Twice I would unlock the car (but not start engine) and there would be air releasing. Before the rear sinks all the way down, I start the engine and hit the raise car button but that only seems to raise the front and the rear continues to sink. After shutting and restarting the car multiple times, the rear would still not raise. Sometimes though, restarting the engine multiple times does raise the rear. Other times after a few hours or waiting until the next day, I'd would start the engine and it would raise the rear back up.

Another time, I would finish driving for about 40 mins and shut the engine, I hear the air release and the rear goes down. Wait about 20 mins, started the engine and the rear raises back up.

It seems to not know when to self-level and when it does self-level, it doesn't self-level correctly. It seems to always want to drop the rear. And it does this randomly. Other times I can unlock the car, start engine and drive it no problem. No leaks or anything, car would stay up for weeks.

I really believe it's an electronic issue, just not sure which yet.
That sucks man. Have you considered that you could have 2 defective rear air springs? How slim the possibility. It might be worth investigating the the obvious before going more technical.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Because of all this headache, I've decided to go with Arnott Coil Spring conversion.