Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane tracking package vs the active one

Old 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Lane tracking package vs the active one

how does the active blind spot system work different than the other non active one, and the same with the lane tracking?
the amg website doesnt really give alot of detail how they differ

also with the premium leather vs regular leather, any opinions how they differ? also was the 2010-11 cars have premium or regular
Old 12-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E63, 2008 Range Rover Sport, 2010 GLK350
Originally Posted by vdubpower
how does the active blind spot system work different than the other non active one, and the same with the lane tracking?
the amg website doesnt really give alot of detail how they differ

also with the premium leather vs regular leather, any opinions how they differ? also was the 2010-11 cars have premium or regular
I have a 2010 and I can tell you how my systems work.

The active blind spot is awesome. If there is a car or object next to you, the indicator on the rear view mirror (whatever side the car is on) will turn red. If you then chose to put your blinker on, it beeps at you telling you there is a car there in case you miss the red warning indicator on the mirror. Pretty awesome and spoils you when you drive a car without this feauture. It is also turns yellow at times when there is an object approcahing your blind spot.

The lane keeping assit sucks. I always have it turned off. Anytime you cross a painted line on the highway your steering wheel vibrates. UNLESS you use your blinker. I do use my blinkers but not when no one is around. I found this to be too much and rather annoying so I always have it turned off.

Now the most amazing feauture which I am so impressed by and would consider a must have after experiencing it first hand is the pre-safe breaking. This is the system that uses lasers to judge if you are about to crash into a car or object infront of you. If you do not react, the car will actually apply up to full brake force for you. I had an experience where I was going 40-45 mph in city driving and i was distracted looking away to the side. The car beeped at me since the car in front of me had slammed on the brakes. I was looking to the side and would not have noticed. I looked when my car beeped at me but I still would not have had enough time to react. The car actually applied full brake force me and saved me from rear ending the car in front of me at 40-45mph! After that day, I am a full believer in the system. IT WORKS!

The distronic where it will actually keep a preset distance and stop the car if necessary is also pretty sweet.
The following users liked this post:
krazzdav (11-24-2021)
Old 12-09-2011, 04:45 PM

and 2010s and 2011s have the premium leather if I am not mistaken standard
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What if it slams on brakes and the car behind. Hits u
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
What if it slams on brakes and the car behind. Hits u
Then the car behind you is at fault... no pre safe rear feature...
Old 12-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E63 wagon, 2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Vic55
Like E55_GT3 mentioned, I really really like the system especially the pre-safe breaking. It helped me many times already.

It is awesome and would be super if the system could remotely hit break for car behind (in my imagination......). However, I do think engineer could program to make our break light flash to warn the car behind. Obviously, we would need a rear radar as well.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does presage only work if distronic is working
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
and active blind spot feature has another option, well it hppened with me once,

when you turn and there is a car next to you,

- if you turn the signle = it will beep and aooiw in mirror will flash red
- if you didn't turn the signle = it will hit the brake and the steering will freeze (like when you go out of the line from side streets, NOT talking about changing lane ( strips ) but when you step on a a non strips line (long). + the screen will show a warning in red.

i love the active blind spot option
Old 12-11-2011, 03:29 AM

'12 e63 p30
does the car not pull you back into your lane if you are drifting out of the lane/going to hit a car?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Vic55
This would the pinnacle of innovation - controlling other peoples cars!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Pre-safe braking is indeed amazing for those moments when the drivers look to the side. If only the car can automatically follow the lines and the drivers can doze off...I'm sure that will be available in the future.

That blind spot thing will go off too frequently if you live in a big city. Moreover, I see it as kind of useless as long as you adjust your outside mirrors correctly. You can "see the blind spot" if you adjust both outside mirrors all the way out to a point when you can barely see the body of the car. An engineer in the early part of last century actually pushed for that concept to be widely broadcasted to all drivers. Unfortunately, that concept is known only to a small number of people despite how well it works for all cars. It's also due to the strange habit that people like to see a good portion of their own car body in the outside mirrors...strange because it's not like your car body will disappear if you don't see it in the mirrors. I always have my outside mirrors adjusted as above and I never have to turn my head all the way back during lane change. In fact, I think this major head turning is quite dangerous when the car in the front brake all of a sudden.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok explain the difference in these option

993 - Lane tracking package, blind spot assist Lane keeping assist $850

versus

997 Distronic Presafe, Active blind spot assist, active lane keeping assist $2900

is the difference just the radar cruise control or is there an actual difference in the blind spot and lane keeping features, as one is labeled active and the other isnt????
Old 12-28-2011, 02:19 PM

2012 E63 wagon, 2018 E63S Wagon
ok explain the difference in these option

993 - Lane tracking package, blind spot assist Lane keeping assist $850

versus

997 Distronic Presafe, Active blind spot assist, active lane keeping assist $2900

is the difference just the radar cruise control or is there an actual difference in the blind spot and lane keeping features, as one is labeled active and the other isnt????
The difference is just whether radar is installed. Lane keeping assist and other feature are identical.

I originally thought I wouldn't feel the need of all these features. After trying, especially the Distronic, they are just wonderful!!

When in jammed freeway, I turn it on and then rest the foot from pedal. It makes it much less frustration.

When driving fast with cars around you, the radar is a very helpful third eye and computer would take action in case driver was distracted. Insurance company will get you discount for this feature. It indeed provides a extra level of safety especially for people that drive fast frequently!!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the basic system, 993, wouldnt that have to use some sort of radar to do what it does?