Sponsored by:

2014 Review and Pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 GLS63
2014 Review and Pics

Ok guys, having owned the car now for almost 3 weeks, I figured I would do what many have done and give my thoughts and impression.

Overview:

I ordered my car from a local dealer who agreed to $2k over invoice July 6th. The car was built October 17th, arrived at the dealer November 11th and I took delivery November 14th.

I ordered Palladium Silver over Black Napa with silver contrasting stitching and belts. Standard titanium wheels, night styling package, Drivers assistance package and the AMG surround view package.

Prior to delivery I had a set of TSW Panorama wheels (9” front, 9.5” rear) with Michelin Alpin PA4s (255/35 19 all around) installed by the dealer (I ordered them from Wheels Boutique).

I was able to use the AMA fleet discount of $4000 (confirmed, I received a check back for the additional $1500 last week after the dealer initially gave me the $2500 off that was on the September certificate).

Mods so far: PlastiDip’ed the side V8 Biturbo badges, rear E63 and S-AMG badges while they were on the car. I tried to do the MB star emblem 3x without success. I ended up purchasing a replacement emblem from my local dealer using the MB Car club discount (part was $14). I stuck it to a piece of cardboard and plastidip’ed it on there. I then removed/destroyed the emblem on the car and stuck on the plastidip’ed one.

Tint: I had side and rear windows tinted with 3M Color Stable tint at 20% and I did the front windshield with 3M Crystaline at 70% to help with glare and heat rejection.

Clear Bra: My detail guy did new car prep on the car including total wash/degrease, clay bar, light polish, interior detail etc. Then Expel Ultimate clear bra was installed including partial hood, bumper, mirrors and rocker panels. After the bra was installed the car and both sets of wheels were completely Opticoated to protect the bra and paint.

Canceled mods: After driving the car for a few weeks and looking at the stance and our roads, I decided to sell the KW sleeve kit I purchased before the car arrived. As much as I would love the car to sit 0.5-0.75” lower, the trade off in ride and car safety won out.

Upcoming mods: Next week I am having the Beltronics STiR radar detector and Laser Interceptor Dual system installed. (Happy Birthday to me! Thank you wifey!)

My journey to the E63S and my impression of the car compared to my just returned 2011 BMW X5 50i M-Sport, a brief test drive of the Audi S6 and a half hour, 30+ mile test drive of the 2013 BMW M5.

I was initially set on purchasing an M5 (my long term dream car). After much debate with the wife who was concerned with me driving 556 HP in Cincinnati winters with snow, cold temps and some ice storms, I decided to open my search to include the S6 and once announced, the AWD E63. I would use the car as my daily driver and I don’t have the option not to go to work if there is weather. I also end up driving our 3 1/2 yo around as much if not more than my wife so the car needed to be safe too.

I loved the M5, it is a true BMW. The exhaust on start up is nice when you stand behind the car, but from inside, the artificial sound is underwhelming (ie going to need aftermarket exhaust). The DCT transmission was awesome. Smooth and very fast. Engine is also awesome. Interior and tech is as expected coming from another BMW. Screen size is nice, GUI was nicely update from my truck, faster, slicker. I was very familiar with it so it was easy. HUD was awesome. More info than on my X5s HUD. Steering feel as many have said is a bit muted. You can make it really heavy on sport +, but it doesn’t increase feel much. Brakes were great. Car was very quiet. Love the seats but the lack of adjustable side bolster is baffling. Car looks great. Love the 20” wheel option. For me to order a 2014 with full leather, Competition package HUD etc, it was going to more than the E63S. The RWD became the big issue with the wife (even though I was going to run dedicated snows) and that was really the deciding factor.

Audi S6: This was my “budget conscious” option . It was a very “good” car. Engine was pretty strong, car looks pretty good, but not very aggressive. Handling was pretty good. Tech is the best of the 3 cars. HUD, GUI etc. Transmission was nice, fast but not as smooth as the smoothest settings on the M5. This car would have been a safe choice, but not my first choice in any situation. I did consider the RS7 for a bit until it became obvious no dealer in my area was going to budge from MSRP and they had no time line idea when I was getting near my time to order.

The 2014 E63S:
I purchased the car without ever driving an E63. I have never owned a Mercedes. I was not disappointed. The car looks very aggressive, especially in its current blacked out configuration.

I like the updated face much better than the 2013.

Love the LED headlights(an option on the M5). I don’t have a big issue with the automatic high beam function like some since I don’t use my high beams very much.

Engine/exhaust sound: By far the best cold start up of the 3 and one of the top 5 I have heard. You can’t get the M5 to sound this good regardless of what exhaust system you put on (or take off). You can make it louder and harsher, but the way the M5 exhaust manifold is designed (to minimize turbo lag) it just doesn’t have a very sonorous sound. The first time I heard my car being started when I was standing behind it, I got goose bumps.

Power: Car pulls like crazy but I am withholding judgement until I can really flog the car after 1000 mile break-in period.

Suspension: I drive in sport most of the time and I sort of wish comfort was even softer and S+ was even stiffer but I can’t complain about the current range.

Steering: The wheel is one of my favorite things. Thick, alcantara on the sides, flat bottom. You interact with it 100% of the time you are with the car and it delivers. The steering feel is a bit lighter than the M5 but it has plenty of communication and I don’t mind it being a bit lighter (It’s not minivan light by any means).

Seats: Really like the seats. Active bolster, adjustable side bolsters and massage feature really shine over the M5. Wish the seat back articulated like the BMW seats do. I understand why one MBWorld member was complaining about his IT band. The seat bottom is a bit narrow and the side bolster portion of the seat bottom does come up fairly aggressively so I can see how it would hit your proximal, posterior IT band a little bit. I like the Porsche seats with adjustable side and seat bottom bolsters. They don’t bother me, but I see why some have issues. (BTW, I just found the little storage compartment at the bottom of the seats and they are pretty sweet!)

Interior: Car feels very rich with the contrasting stitching (can’t get that without individual option on M5 and it is very $$. ($4k+ if I remember correctly). AMG crest in the shift knob and head rest leather are nice. Full leather dash, alcantara headline...all classy.

Transmission: With holding judgement right now since I haven’t been too aggressive. I do like the paddle sizes and location. I usually skip right from C to S.

AMG Display: I love that it will show both the coolant and oil temp along with digital speedo and gear. I just wish things were better laid out. The speed needs to be bigger and coolant/oil temp could be smaller.

Controls: I like having dedicate button access to navi/radio/system/phone and the number pad is nice for dialing. I mis the programable favorite buttons on my X5 where I could program in a few radio stations (FM, AM and sat all together) a few phone numbers and my home address for Navi.

I like being able to have two different sets of info displayed, one in the COMMAND screen and one in the multifunction display.

Surround view: I like the many options the system gives you but wish you could turn off the guide lines. Should be an easy programming thing on or off...The small screen size coupled with the wider camera FOV makes the image a bit small for my taste.

Dislikes:

No HUD. Mercedes get with it. HUD is awesome. Speed info, navi info, tach, speed limit info in the HUD...

Seat heat/ventilation. Anemic at best. I understand the heat medicrity as the buttery smooth napa leather likely would wear faster than the Dakota leather on my X5. The ventilation function seems like it is barely on at full blast and I really can’t tell it is on at level 1 or 2...

Transmission: I am used to coming to a stop and pushing the start/stop button and the car automatically goes into park. I have done that several times with the E63 and end up in neutral with the car slowly coasting into my garage. When car was delivered my sales guy told me I could just hit the stop button and it would go into park... apparently not. Mercedes does need to jump into the DCT on the C and E AMGs...

H/K Stereo: The sound quality is “ok”. I had better bass and treble on my X5. I usually listen with logic 7 off as I don’t really like the processes sound. I would love the B&O system, but the trunk space issue (in addition to the cost) make it a no go. I may look into a small custom removable sub box and amp. When you start to play things loud, it gets very harsh. I am not a big fan of how the FM radio controls work with the control knob. I want to be able to scroll much faster and it just goes...slow...

AMG display: Layout needs to be different.

Cup holders: Bad position. When I have a big Nalgene bottle in there it makes it awkward getting to the COMMAND control knob.

COMMAND: Not to bad. Somethings are easier than the iDrive and other things are harder. Screen size is an obvious con but it is what it is.

Parktronic: Wish it was integrated into the surround view like the BMW. I am looking at the damn screen, not at the top of the dash. Give me all my info in one place where my attention is already directed. Also, give me more range. I want to know when I am kind of close, not when I am just about to hit something.

Storage spot for the owners manual: I was told that the little net holder along the left side of the passenger seat compartment was where I should store the leather folio/manual. Seriously? Right there? It bangs my left leg when I am sitting shotgun. I jammed it into the glove box.

Overall, the car is an amazing piece of engineering, sounds awesome, looks great and makes me grin like a love struck horny teenager.

On to a few pics my detailer took. The weather turned crappy the day after it was detailed (it always happens to me!).

Old 12-04-2013, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP
Looks nice and clean
Old 12-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63S
Wonderful review. THANK YOU!!! Palladium with black accents = perfect.

Last edited by ShocDoc79; 12-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Thanks for your diary- The car looks great!!!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Thanks for sharing, I didn't know about the storage under the seats... I'm going to have to take a look!

You seem like a bit of a detailing guru... I put three coats of zaino on over the weekend... I didn't know any better so I put it on right over the clear bra, which covers the whole hood. Any comments on zaino here or would another product be better?

Regarding the napa leather... What will you be using to condition it? Any thoughts on application with the ventilation holes in the seats?

I agree on the seat heat... Not up to expectations. Also glad I'm not alone with with the notion that the digital speed readout is too small on the AMG display.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Regarding the seat compartments in the seats... here's what I do. On the pax side, I keep a canister of Wet Ones wipes. And on the driver's side I have a mini clipboard and a couple of pens for gas/mileage receipts.

Like this one:
Amazon.com: Officemate Recycled Wood Clipboard, Memo Size, 6 x 9 Inch, 3 inch Clip (83103): Office Products Amazon.com: Officemate Recycled Wood Clipboard, Memo Size, 6 x 9 Inch, 3 inch Clip (83103): Office Products

Just run it through a miter saw to chop it down to about 4" wide.

Keeping the receipts in this manner really keeps the armrest free of junk and clutter. All of our MBs are set up like this now.

Nice write-up BTW.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E63 AMG S Wagon
Thanks for great post. It feeds by excitement for March delivery of my 2014 E63 AMG S Wagon.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM

2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
Thanks for sharing, I didn't know about the storage under the seats... I'm going to have to take a look!

You seem like a bit of a detailing guru... I put three coats of zaino on over the weekend... I didn't know any better so I put it on right over the clear bra, which covers the whole hood. Any comments on zaino here or would another product be better?

Regarding the napa leather... What will you be using to condition it? Any thoughts on application with the ventilation holes in the seats?

I agree on the seat heat... Not up to expectations. Also glad I'm not alone with with the notion that the digital speed readout is too small on the AMG display.
Choco,

My detail guy used Chemical Guys leather conditioner. He applies it to a microfiber cloth and then works it into the leather trying not to get too much into the perforations.

You can put whatever wax or sealer you use on the paint on the bra, it proves the same protection.

I know about the little storage compartment! I found it last night and was like "what what!" We need a thread about all the little surprises, like holding down the right paddle to go from temporary manual mode back into C, S or S+ mode and holding the left paddle to down shift as far as safe and then hold gears to redline.

X

Last edited by 335X-ray; 12-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Many thanks for detailed report. I switched to Benz from M5 and only regret I have not done it sooner....

Great job and car is truly exceptional!

Keep us posted....

Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
That's indeed a good report. Rather than holding down the right paddle to go back to the auto mode, you can also just pull the right paddle a few times until you see the gear number disappears from the display. For those seat compartments, I have snacks and munchies in them. Go through the manual in detail, and you will find a lot of those little surprises. I know, I know...it's a thick manual but you might as well know and use everything since you paid for them.

BTW, does anyone know the purpose of that little center console slot covered by the front end of the driver side's center console cover/armrest? It's too small in there for much of anything so I just have a swiss army knife in it.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
nice review....nice job choosing xpel ultimate....great film...but why oh why did u only do a quarter of the front clip

you will hate that line, and the dirt that will exaggerate the line even more....you should have done the full front hood and fenders with tucked edges...cant even tell the bra is on the car...

and ive heard and read various things about opticoating on a bra, some say its ok, some say it can lead to cracks in the bra...dunno
Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2021 GLE63S AMG, 2018 GLE43 AMG, 2014 E63 AMG S-Model 4Matic Wagon (sold)
"BTW, does anyone know the purpose of that little center console slot covered by the front end of the driver side's center console cover/armrest? It's too small in there for much of anything so I just have a swiss army knife in it."

That's probably for a cell phone. Guess that was designed before people started using real phones that have 4.7" or 5.0" screens.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:37 PM

2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by vdubpower
nice review....nice job choosing xpel ultimate....great film...but why oh why did u only do a quarter of the front clip

you will hate that line, and the dirt that will exaggerate the line even more....you should have done the full front hood and fenders with tucked edges...cant even tell the bra is on the car...

and ive heard and read various things about opticoating on a bra, some say its ok, some say it can lead to cracks in the bra...dunno
I hear you on the full hood but for the price difference, I had to make a few sacrifices. In regards to Opticoating the expel film, my detailer has been doing it for a few years and hasn't had any issues. I guess we will see. My buddy had his P-car expel'd and opticoated a year ago and hasn't had any problems.

X
Old 12-04-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by vdubpower
nice review....nice job choosing xpel

you will hate that line, and the dirt that will exaggerate the line even more....you should have done the full front hood and fenders with tucked edges...
I've had five cars done in a similar fashion with 1/3 of the hood and fenders. All have been fine and as long as you don't get wax in the seam, your fine.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Location: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, TX
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S wagon w212; GLC63; GLC300; 720S
Car really looks nice. I've never done whole hood/fenders, lines not there if you clean carefully. Xpel doesn't like some waxes, it clouded on me on a white car, but Xpel fixed it. Great product. Wheels look nice too.
Did you Xpel behind rear wheels and by trunk opening? Really helps on gravel and on school runs.

Last edited by keyserS; 12-04-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 PM

2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by keyserS
Car really looks nice. I've never done whole hood/fenders, lines not there if you clean carefully. Xpel doesn't like some waxes, it clouded on me on a white car, but Xpel fixed it. Great product. Wheels look nice too.
Did you Xpel behind rear wheels and by trunk opening? Really helps on gravel and on school runs.
I got the half hood, bumper and the "rocker panels". The rocker panel portion covers the side skirts and up onto the doors, around the rear wheel well and along the underside of the rear bumper. I am very pleased with the coverage.

I do a lot of surface street driving on ****ty roads so I am happy to have the protection.

Won't be doing much waxing due to the opticoat. Not really necessary (so they say).

X
Old 12-04-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-class
looks awesome!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 PM

2019 GLC 63
Love it! My thoughts are the same about no HUD. I seriously considered Audi for a long time because of it...but then I drove an E63...needless to say the drive swayed me.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Nice car! What is the guy doing with the airbrush on your summer rims? armor all?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 AMG GTS
nice review! AWD was must for me as well, almost considered an M5 but once the E came out i was all over it, E feels like a smaller car as well, M5 is a boat and doesnt look as good
Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
ive use mothers showtime wax and nxt 2.0 on it by meguiars, they both work well

xpel has there own protectant too...

dont put a DA on it enless u know what u are doing......
Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 AM

2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by 335X-ray

Prior to delivery I had a set of TSW Panorama wheels (9” front, 9.5” rear) with Michelin Alpin PA4s (255/35 19 all around) installed by the dealer (I ordered them from Wheels Boutique).

I like the wheels on your car!

Pat

P.S. Totally agree on the M5. It's a sweet car and the DCT is pure awesomeness but it has two deal-breaker level issues: first, the car sounds TERRIBLE. Honestly, I don't know what the M guys were thinking. Second issue is that below 40 mph, the power is not usable. With only RWD, full throttle in first gear and much of the time in second is not possible without traction control lights flashing and engine power being cut. In a 0-60 sprint, the E63 would cream the M5. In fact the E63 would be at 60 while the M5 driver would still be trying to figure out how to set up his launch control.

Last edited by catpat8000; 12-05-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 AM

2021 GLS63
Originally Posted by kart125
Nice car! What is the guy doing with the airbrush on your summer rims? armor all?
Kart,

He is custom airbrushing a dragon on each wheel (Lightning dragon attack!) Kidding... He is applying the Opticoat. There are many ways to do it. The airbrush way is supposed to be the smoothest and most even application but uses the most product. I had them do the car and my winter wheels on the car and since he has a pickup, when he stopped by to pick up the car, he grabbed the wheels from my garage and did the summers too. Helps make brake dust come off easier and gives them a bit of protection from road grime.

Originally Posted by catpat8000
I like the wheels on your car!

Pat

P.S. Totally agree on the M5. It's a sweet car and the DCT is pure awesomeness but it has two deal-breaker level issues: first, the car sounds TERRIBLE. Honestly, I don't know what the M guys were thinking. Second issue is that below 40 mph, the power is not usable. With only RWD, full throttle in first gear and much of the time in second is not possible without traction control lights flashing and engine power being cut. In a 0-60 sprint, the E63 would cream the M5. In fact the E63 would be at 60 while the M5 driver would still be trying to figure out how to set up his launch control.
Thanks Pat! I wanted a different wheel at first, one more like the stock 10 spoke wheel but am very happy with the simple 5 spoke design I ended up with. Simple, yet aggressive.

X
Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by AnotherSL
"BTW, does anyone know the purpose of that little center console slot covered by the front end of the driver side's center console cover/armrest? It's too small in there for much of anything so I just have a swiss army knife in it."

That's probably for a cell phone. Guess that was designed before people started using real phones that have 4.7" or 5.0" screens.

Even an old RAZR wouldn't fit in there unless you take out the removable sleeve. Speaking of it having that removal sleeve...that means it's designed for something that's hard to get to if that something ends up at the bottom. I have a feeling it's for loose changes. Or maybe it's for some people's hand-rolled cigarettes, joints, snuff, zippo lighter, etc. What do y'all think?
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 PM

'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Coins. For those small-town meters that don't require an electronic receipt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 Review and Pics