Sunroof Deflector broke on my 2012 AMG E63 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Sunroof Deflector broke on my 2012 AMG E63 Wagon

I'm thinking from now on it's not a good idea to open and close it at highway speeds because that's the only reason I can think of as to why it broke. I was trying to get Sarasota Mercedes to replace it but they are not calling me back for some weird reason, stopped in and showed it to them and they were going to try and talk to somebody at MB about warrantee replacement. I called them again yesterday, this should not be such a big deal. So since that never happened going to head down to Ft. Myers MB tomorrow and see if I can get them to replace it, talked to parts dept there today and it's 242 bucks, 2 day's to get it from the warehouse. Does anybody know how hard these are to change? I'm hoping easy, just disconnect the arms and pop it in?. Sarasota said they needed the car for the day and that did not sound right either. These deflectors pop up when the sunroof goes open and I'd think it should be fairly simple to replace? A word of warning to everyone, I would not open and close these sunroofs at highway speeds. Mine is cracked real bad at the hinges on the right and left sides. I'm doing a 1500 mile drive late next week and hope I can get this replaced before I leave. Anybody else had a problem with sunroof deflector breaking? I know nothing hit it. I was kinda shocked when I saw how messed up it was as nothing eventful happened to it.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 04-25-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
good luck with your fix, dealer probably want to log lots of hours so they can get paid from MB, also probably why they said all day
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I know you really don't have a choice for wagons. A word of advice to everyone else who has a choice: Stay away from pano and stay with the tried-and-true regular sunroof or none at all.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I think hyperion your right, I got a real bad feeling about that dealer last time I was in there. The main service Manager was very rude. I had gone there before and they were great, but not this time. One of the salesman had told me a while back they got bought out by some big car chain, I'm thinking to myself, That's good news? Anyhow, ya, something is up with them, they never did call me back and I had stopped in there with the car and called back twice. The service advisor is a real nice guy and very experienced and knows what he is talking about. But this whole thing is beyond his control, management comes from the top down, I should know I use to own a car dealer. I did stop in at Ft. Myers Mercedes today and they were great, busy as all heck. They told it like it should have been. They will order the piece and do the job Tuesday afternoon while I wait, end of story. They told me they hear lots of stories like this about Sarasota MB, I guess they must want to go out of business or something. Feel bad for all the guys they are going to put out of work when they shut down.

Ottaki, I do like having the big sunroof and use it a lot but from now on will only be lowering or raising it when I'm under 20 mph. I really think this issue has something to do with opening or closing it at highway speeds, sometimes when I'd get a phone call I'd close it to hear better, not anymore. It's the only reason I can think of the it shattering in both areas around where the mounts are located.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 04-25-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
It's great that you have found a place to replace it in an afternoon so it wouldn't interfere with your weekend trip.

It's really an inconvenience for a pano to only be operated at such a low speed. At certain conditions, ie highway, it is difficult as well as unsafe to drop the speed just to operate the lowering and raising. You would think that MB has adequately tested it at higher speed.

I have never visited Ft. Myers MB but had great experience with them over the phone 3 years ago when I was in the market for an E63. I almost did but found one a little closer in AL.