W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you choose Renntech over other tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s4

I don't plan to track my car, and mine is a daily driver, still, I'm thinking about a tune.

Why did you choose a Renntech tune? For those of you who got a tune, but not from Renntech, why didn't you choose Renntech's tune?

For you guys driving a rwd E63 AMG with the Renntech tune, I'd appreciate input as to how the car handles with full throttle from a dead stop?
Seems like the torque is going to cause tires to lose traction and cause a whole lots of spinning, smoke and rapid tire wear?

On another thread, it was commented that the plugs foul and require changing every 10,000 miles. Are you also changing transmission and differential fluids more often?

Renntech seems to have the most aggressive tune. They say they stand behind their tune. However, they don't warranty parts, nor will intercede if the dealer claims the tune cause parts to fail. Their statements seem just that, statements without substance.

There was mention of the aggressive approach Audi has taken to identify flashed cars as TD1, meaning that you are likely SOL if there is a engine or transmission problem.

I believe MB also records which cars have had a tune and takes a similar approach as Audi does.

My underlying question is will I lose warranty coverage for the engine and drive train?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
read xpters threads
Old 03-15-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2014 E63 S
If you choose to tune, you should assume that your drivetrain warranty is gone.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550
vdubpower, I did a search for those threads but was unable to find anything under xpters. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
maybe i spelled it wrong...its there
Old 08-25-2015, 10:38 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by vdubpower
maybe i spelled it wrong...its there
I played around with the spelling & I found it. Thanks.
I'm just trying to narrow down which tune I want to go with. Renntech or Eurocharged. So I'm searching the forum thoroughly.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by darkgable79
I played around with the spelling & I found it. Thanks.
I'm just trying to narrow down which tune I want to go with. Renntech or Eurocharged. So I'm searching the forum thoroughly.
Both are very fine choices and you will be very happy with either.

Speaking from the EC side of things, we make great power and offer one of the best warranties in the market. We pride ourselves in customer service and have hired on additional headcount to make sure we stay at the top of our game.

Check out our stage 2 power, you won't be disappointed.

http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...oftware-detail

The tune is currently on sale for $1999 though this week

Old 08-26-2015, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
I went with Weistec, renntech was very expensive and the guys from Weistec gave me a nice price since i know them!! Took great care of my car, gains were amazing!!! Looking at 700 or more hp to the crank!! They are doing some awesome stuff
Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
I got my Renntech ECU and 200 cell cats because of the name. If you do get an ECU tune, change the spark plugs ( I got Renntech/NGK ). The tune I got is a blast. Not too many car can touch you on the road. I don't track and it's a daily driver.

As for warrant, it is my understand some Mercedes dealer sell the AMG with the Renntech tune so ?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by HPMan
If you choose to tune, you should assume that your drivetrain warranty is gone.
Is this a Canadian rule?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:06 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by loungn14

Speaking from the EC side of things, we make great power and offer one of the best warranties in the market. We pride ourselves in customer service and have hired on additional headcount to make sure we stay at the top of our game.

Is your stage 2 tune meant to be used with your downpipes?

Originally Posted by nstanford99
I went with Weistec, renntech was very expensive and the guys from Weistec gave me a nice price since i know them!! Took great care of my car, gains were amazing!!! Looking at 700 or more hp to the crank!! They are doing some awesome stuff
I've seen the stuff that Weistec is putting out, but I'm a lil concerned about local support in the event of something not being quite right. Eurocharged is local & my MB dealership is an authorized Renntech dealer. This is my 1st Benz so I'm doing my best to be as careful as possible.

Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
I got my Renntech ECU and 200 cell cats because of the name. If you do get an ECU tune, change the spark plugs ( I got Renntech/NGK ). The tune I got is a blast. Not too many car can touch you on the road. I don't track and it's a daily driver.

As for warrant, it is my understand some Mercedes dealer sell the AMG with the Renntech tune so ?
I'm like you. I just want to unleash the power that this engine has & it's my daily driver. I work nights from time to time so I can really get in some "spirited" driving headed home. Plus I'd like to dust the occasional fool that wants to test me. Lol. But I'd probably never track this car.

My dealer has also sold MB vehicles with the Renntech tune already applied. The warranty issue with Renntech & MB is definitely muddy water.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:20 PM
SPONSOR

I've seen the stuff that Weistec is putting out, but I'm a lil concerned about local support in the event of something not being quite right. Eurocharged is local & my MB dealership is an authorized Renntech dealer. This is my 1st Benz so I'm doing my best to be as careful as possible.

I'm like you. I just want to unleash the power that this engine has & it's my daily driver. I work nights from time to time so I can really get in some "spirited" driving headed home. Plus I'd like to dust the occasional fool that wants to test me. Lol. But I'd probably never track this car.

My dealer has also sold MB vehicles with the Renntech tune already applied. The warranty issue with Renntech & MB is definitely muddy water.
we can customize it for any mods on the car, as well as for your elevation/gas/driving style etc

Local is the key to me personally. Can't beat someone local you can simply stop by to check out the car should the need arise.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Banned

2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.

Yeah, I don't get how Mercedes would void the warranty if the dealers sells the tune off the lot.

If your looking to unleash the beast, tune it. You and your car would thank you for it. Have you seen a Porsche 911 Turbo owner's face when you pass them on the freeway? I have and it's really great.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by loungn14

230+ ft/lb increase? holy ****!

btw - the links on your page for the 'guarantees' don't link anywhere...
Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63 S

Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
Yeah, I don't get how Mercedes would void the warranty if the dealers sells the tune off the lot.

If your looking to unleash the beast, tune it. You and your car would thank you for it. Have you seen a Porsche 911 Turbo owner's face when you pass them on the freeway? I have and it's really great.
Mercedes can and has refused to provide warranty coverage for aftermarket mods installed by dealers. It does not always happen but it can. I have a Renntech tune and mufflers from an MB dealer. But if the engine were to blow up and MB corporate people came to the dealer to inspect the engine/ECU before deciding to replace the engine who knows what would happen.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG GTS
i was worried about local support too! (i am pittsburgh, they are in CA) but they take great care of you! Had a problem in the beginning, they took the ecu back no charge for shipping and fixed everything at no cost! They have an awesome support system and never abandon customers!! They are a very reputable company and i love their products! But whoever you tune with you will love, it truly wakes up your beast!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 PM

CLS550
Thanks for the info. I apologize to the OP if I jacked his thread.

loungn14, can you elaborate on the tune for the c218 CLS550?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Mercedes can and has refused to provide warranty coverage for aftermarket mods installed by dealers. It does not always happen but it can. I have a Renntech tune and mufflers from an MB dealer. But if the engine were to blow up and MB corporate people came to the dealer to inspect the engine/ECU before deciding to replace the engine who knows what would happen.
Yeah, that was my assumption when I tuned it, but if the dealers are selling them off the lot tune, someone other than the owner should pay for it including Renntech or they would have law suites up the ***.

I might of missed it, but I have not read on this forum that a tuned AMG had its warrantee voided???

Last edited by Davidkuo0330; 08-27-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:08 PM

CLS550
^Agreed.^ If MB dealers are selling them off the lot like that there has to be an expectation of warranty.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Toadster
230+ ft/lb increase? holy ****!

btw - the links on your page for the 'guarantees' don't link anywhere...
yes sir, and thanks for the heads up! New website is launching in approx 2 weeks!

There is a pretty good thread on the private lounge that talks about the warranty etc, and what AMG says on the matter

Thanks for the info. I apologize to the OP if I jacked his thread.

loungn14, can you elaborate on the tune for the c218 CLS550?

eurochaged cls550 ecu tune
Old 09-01-2015, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
^Agreed.^ If MB dealers are selling them off the lot like that there has to be an expectation of warranty.
Like EC said, this has been answered on the Private lounge forums. A master tech from MB said that there should not be any alliance or deal that dealers have with a tune compnay. MB does not warrant this or approve of it, no matter what the dealer says. You mod at your own risk.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:45 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
Like EC said, this has been answered on the Private lounge forums. A master tech from MB said that there should not be any alliance or deal that dealers have with a tune compnay. MB does not warrant this or approve of it, no matter what the dealer says. You mod at your own risk.
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
I had AMS tune my car, very happy with it and the guys from AMS. I chose them because I felt they have the most experience (of the tuners working on AMG's) with high horsepower forced induction engines. Not saying the most experience with Mercedes and AMG but forced induction engines in general, and making them live at extreme power levels. Even as a daily driver the torque gains are great and make the car a totally different animal. I did swap plugs, same as RennTech sells but for 1/3 the cost off Amazon and have 17k miles now no issues.

HTH and good luck with the tune, you won't regret it
Old 09-01-2015, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63 S

Originally Posted by TTA850
I had AMS tune my car, very happy with it and the guys from AMS. I chose them because I felt they have the most experience (of the tuners working on AMG's) with high horsepower forced induction engines. Not saying the most experience with Mercedes and AMG but forced induction engines in general, and making them live at extreme power levels. Even as a daily driver the torque gains are great and make the car a totally different animal. I did swap plugs, same as RennTech sells but for 1/3 the cost off Amazon and have 17k miles now no issues.

HTH and good luck with the tune, you won't regret it
My reason for choosing Renntech was similar. They have the most experience tuning AMG's. They also have the deepest and the closest relationship with AMG. The owner was a former AMG engineer in Affalterbach for many years. Mercedes still calls upon him all the time to help them with concept cars. Renntech built the DJ van that won the awards at last year's SEMA.

With respect to the tune itself I've had zero issues. No check engine lights, no broken parts no problems at all. Similarly the sport mufflers are wonderful, produce great sound and I am quite happy with them. Would readily purchase another Renntech product.

In terms of performance, the car is scary fast. At slipstreams roll races At Pocono international Speedway my car beat every single BMW M car that it faced and it faced many. And it beat the fastest Audi RS7 APR tunedcar in the country. And that is with stock cats and down pipes and turbos.

But it has not had a match against a similarly tuned AMS E63 S. TTA850's AMS tuned E63 S and mine will go head to head at the Atco private track rental on Oct 7. That will be a great comparo as the cars are about identically modded (both have tune, stock cats and stock DPs. His has straight pipes after the cats and mine has Renntech sport mufflers. His has the carbon ceramics and mine has the heavier stock brakes. He has the heavier factory cast wheels and mine has lighter HRE 3 piece forged rims.

I hope someone is going to take some killer videos.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:21 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by sdg1871
My reason for choosing Renntech was similar. They have the most experience tuning AMG's. They also have the deepest and the closest relationship with AMG. The owner was a former AMG engineer in Affalterbach for many years. Mercedes still calls upon him all the time to help them with concept cars. Renntech built the DJ van that won the awards at last year's SEMA.

With respect to the tune itself I've had zero issues. No check engine lights, no broken parts no problems at all. Similarly the sport mufflers are wonderful, produce great sound and I am quite happy with them. Would readily purchase another Renntech product.

In terms of performance, the car is scary fast. At slipstreams roll races At Pocono international Speedway my car beat every single BMW M car that it faced and it faced many. And it beat the fastest Audi RS7 APR tunedcar in the country. And that is with stock cats and down pipes and turbos.

But it has not had a match against a similarly tuned AMS E63 S. TTA850's AMS tuned E63 S and mine will go head to head at the Atco private track rental on Oct 7. That will be a great comparo as the cars are about identically modded (both have tune, stock cats and stock DPs. His has straight pipes after the cats and mine has Renntech sport mufflers. His has the carbon ceramics and mine has the heavier stock brakes. He has the heavier factory cast wheels and mine has lighter HRE 3 piece forged rims.

I hope someone is going to take some killer videos.
Your car sounds like a monster. CLS63 correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did you choose Renntech over other tune?